RC poster

1/16 Grave Digger Question - Steering Servo Upgrade?

So it sounds and feels like the servo (part # 2080) on my son's 1/16 Grave Digger has some stripped/chipped gears inside, as I can hear a grinding sound coming from the servo when I go full left turn lock. When I manually move the steering linkage as well, I can feel the slipping or grinding in the servo as well.

Is there a better servo that I can swap in for the OEM servo? Maybe something with metal gears that is more durable? Or should I just get another OEM servo for $20 and pray it holds up for a while?

Looking at Amazon.com, the 2080 OEM servo is $21 shipped to my door. There is one made by Bastens that looks to be an aluminum housing with metal gears on Amazon, and it is $50 shipped but not sure if it is waterproof...

Thanks in advance for your advices!

Woody

RC poster
    Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Traxxas 1/16 Grave Digger
    Bone Stock

RC Racer
    The bluebird 390 is the one you want. Also this is the 1/10 erevo section

RC poster
    I didn't realize this was the 1/10 forum... my apologies and thank you for the suggestion on the Bluebird 390. I will look that one up. Is it readily available in the USA?

Again, sorry I posted in the wrong forum. I need to find the right forum.

RC Racer
    Its okay no worries. Google the servo and you'll find places. Not sure on exact store though.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok so to add to this question, I have the same 1/16 grave digger problem. My son broke the right front stub axel carrier, I repaired it and also put in a 4x4 kit. From that point forward, I noticed the same clicking and chipping like sounds coming from the servo. I am assuming that at this point the servo is dead since the steering arm moves freely. Is there any literature out there about using a different servo or anything? I noticed that there is another servo hole which I can only assume is for another servo but I honestly dont know. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

RC poster
    the gear set for these servo's is only 3.59......i would rebuild it, are you running twin servos??? if not i would suggest it, but make sure you center both servos before hooking them up or you will burn them out

RC Qualifier
    You shouldn't need dual servos on a 1/16 digger if you get a nice metal gear one like the ******* or Bluebird 390. Hi Tec also makes a waterproof servo that works, but requires some modding for a proper fit. I believe it's the HS-5086WP. I'd go with the 390 though as it drops right in. Jimmie Neutron has a nice write-up on how to waterproof it in about 5 minutes with grease and RTV sealant.