RC Racer

Alias flies well- but occassionally lacks power and seems to wobble?

I'm flying my backup alias right now waiting on motors for my first one..
    Anyway tonight I noticed it's starting to exhibit some strange behavior.. Sometimes it seems to not have full power and it will sort of wobble even when the wind is calm.

I fear this means that the motors are starting to fail on my second alias as well.. Can anyone confirm if this sounds like a motor problem or if there's anything else I can check?

Oh and I also noticed that occasionally it will rotate as if I bumped the left rudder or right Rudder.. But it's not a trim issue since it doesn't continually rotate it just rotates quickly very suddenly and then stops.
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 01-10-2014 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Merged

Sounds familiar to what happened to mine before a motor went out. Now in the box it sits waiting for a replacement motor purchase.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Sounds familiar to what happened to mine before a motor went out. Now in the box it sits waiting for a replacement motor purchase.
    Same here. The remaining motors will only spin as fast as the weakest one (sort of a fail-safe, to protect them).

RC Racer
    How do I tell which one is the "bad" one so I can replace it?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry1234 View Post
    How do I tell which one is the "bad" one so I can replace it?
    You can hold your Alias in your hand and start up the motors. Holding firmly (you don't want it taking off on you) - lower each corner of the Alias one at a time. This should make that (lowered) motor spin up faster than the others, as the gyro tells it to level off. If the motor is whack -- it won't spin hardly at all, or nearly as fast as the others.

RC Racer
    I'm not sure its a motor, I went to the LHS today and bought a pack of 4 motors... I replaced each motor one at a time and it still doing the same thing. Further to that I found a new test case that fails 100% of the time with this "strange" alias.. (wobbles oddly from time to time- even with zero wind)

I set the rudder to 100% in exp1 mode. Then take off- hold full left rudder. It spins to the left very fast. Try the same thing to the right, it rotates 90 degrees (1/4 turn) then wobbles, and stops the rotation even though I'm holding full right rudder. I'm starting to think the problem might be with the accelerometer. And yes I tried re-calibrating it. Didn't fix the problem.

I even got a big level to verify my living room floor (where I calibrated it) is perfectly level and it is..

I'll call Traxxas tomorrow.. Anybody else if you wouldn't mind setting your rudder to 100% then trying to see if it will spin left and right without problems, let me know.. I'd appreciate it.

Traxxas Employee
    Set your rudder to 75 and see if that helps
    slash 4x4 lcg, telluride(modded), TCP........and other things

RC Racer
    Spin does work when rudder is at 75... But even with rudder at 75 while flying normally it still wobbles from time to time, and occasionally it will very suddenly rotate itself like 1/4 or 1/8th turn while flying with no rudder input from me.

I only am doing this 100% rudder test case because that was the only thing I could find that is different between my two aliases. My other alias works fine spinning with rudder at 100%. So I'm thinking if I can fix this rudder problem the other strange flying issues may go away to because I suspect all the issues are somehow related.

Since I've already tried motors, I'm betting if I replace the main board with a new one it will be resolved..

Because really beyond the motors & the main board, what else is there? I've checked all my shafts and they are straight, and none of my props or gears appear to be damaged..

RC Qualifier
    I find that the only way to make mine fly 100% no wobbles is to put it in EXP2 mode wich shuts of the auto leveling system, so the glitch must exist there. Maybe it will sort itself out. If not traxxas has awesome customer support.

RC Champion
    this is exactly what happened to my alias, turned out to be a bad bearing. the bearings on these things are terrible. i purchased the same size bearings from another manufacturer

RC Racer
    @G-Rustler Thanks for the tips.. How can you tell which bearings are bad though? Or did you just replace all of them?

RC Champion
    Well the one propeller was glitching that made it wobble in the air so i narrowed it down to that one. i bought extra bearings but only replaced that one.

RC poster
    Also check the spur gear. That was the cause of my "wobble". Mine had a small crack, hard to see unless you check carefully.