RC Racer

GPS Speed Tests of my Raptor

Tests so far:

23/90 - NiMh - 32mph
    23/90 - 2s Lipo - 30 mph
    23/90 - 3s Lipo - Battery is charging

Tomorrow I'll run the same tests with 23/86 and then again with 26/86.

I'm new at this but to me 32 looks very fast going down my street. I even had some lady walking her dog complain to me about it. She said "that thing is crazy.. Why are you going so fast".. (she was annoyed)

That made me smile to myself..

RC Qualifier
    Do you have a VXL system in there? If you have the xl5 titan brushed system in it, DO NOT RUN 3S IN A BRUSHED SYSTEM, 2S IS MAX FOR THE XL5. just giving you a heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry1234 View Post
    Tests so far:

23/90 - NiMh - 32mph
    23/90 - 2s Lipo - 30 mph
    23/90 - 3s Lipo - Battery is charging

Tomorrow I'll run the same tests with 23/86 and then again with 26/86.

I'm new at this but to me 32 looks very fast going down my street. I even had some lady walking her dog complain to me about it. She said "that thing is crazy.. Why are you going so fast".. (she was annoyed)

That made me smile to myself..
    Wait till your in the 70mph range, its will make 30mph look like its standing still.
    Only problem is the slightest move could be disaster and a wind gust will take you to the land of oz,lol.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by iZach98 View Post
    Do you have a VXL system in there? If you have the xl5 titan brushed system in it, DO NOT RUN 3S IN A BRUSHED SYSTEM, 2S IS MAX FOR THE XL5. just giving you a heads up.

Yes its the Vilineon.

RC Qualifier
    Ok, just wanted to make sure you don't burn up a system. And maybe even the Lipo. I'm wonder how fast it will go with 26/86 on 3s should go at least 50? Make sure to keep a good temp gun handy! Good luck and keep us updated!

Ok, just wanted to make sure you don't burn up a system. And maybe even the Lipo. I'm wonder how fast it will go with 26/86 on 3s should go at least 50? Make sure to keep a good temp gun handy! Good luck and keep us updated!

You start running 26/86 3s thru the vxl-3 system imo your going to cook it.
    That maybe of with a 4 pole castle but I wouldn't try it with a 2 pole velineon.
    3s is hard on the stock setup.
    I'm not saying you'll instantly cook it however I've seen my grandson thermal his on 2s geared 21/86.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 01-10-2014 at 08:38 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Doesn't traxxas advertise 60mph+ for the slash vxl?

RC Competitor
    Mine geared 26/86 with a 3s lipo hit 48mph. Given more room I think it would be in the 50's.
    I also agree with the others in that I wouldn't run it like this often due to the temps.

Sent from my S4 using tapatalk

RC Racer
    Well as I said I'm new at this so I don't know what I'm doing...

Right now I have swaped out my 23/90 for 23/86. Do you think that is safe?

I wasn't planning on doing the swap until tomorrow but all of a sudden it stopped running & I heard a grinding sound..

Took off the gearbox cover and I can see that my 90 tooth plastic pinion was all rounded off..

I'm learning and I have a hard time understanding exactly how to set the mesh. So I had a pretty loose on there and I think that was the issue I think it was too loose.. So I did it all over again with the 23/86 and I think I have it set right now..

Basically I took a piece of paper folded it once then wedged that between the spur gear and the pinion year and tighten the motor down from there. I can see with my eyes it has a very small amount of space between the two gears and I can run a piece of paper through there and it doesn't bind so hopefully I got it right this time. I'm having fun though learning about all this and working on it..

GPS speeds:
    23/86 - 2s Lipo - 32mph
    23/86 - 3s Lipo - 38 mph - (it had more but I chickend out and let go)

I've got my iPhone strapped to the front bumper as the GPS and I could just see it rolling and breaking my phone lol.. Feels like it has another 10mph available- although I don't know if I'll ever try that fast..
    Last edited by Jerry1234; 01-10-2014 at 11:39 PM.

RC Racer
    Just ran another test:

23/86 - 3s lipo - in training mode on the esc - 26 mph.

Does this mean it will do 52 all out? Since training mode is supposed to be 50% power? Or I suppose not since drag increases with the square of speed. It would take much more than twice the power to go twice as fast...

What do you think?

RC Racer

Thanks for the tips.. Good lookin out! I really do appreciate it as I said I'm a complete noob..

RC Qualifier

No problem, why did you run it in training mode? Why not sport mode? And I don't think It will do exactly double because of aerodynamics and drag etc. so I think it will do maybe 45mph, maybe more, maybe less.

My slash has a castle creations sidewinder SCT 3800kv brushless system. I ran 3s geared at 23/90 42mph and on 2s 26mph (I did the same as you, with my phone but I zip tied it to the chassis. And I have a life proof case) hopefully I can get a few runs in today geared at 23/86 on 2s and 3s, but it's gonna be raining here soon, and all day
    Last edited by iZach98; 01-11-2014 at 09:23 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I would try it again without folding the paper. To get a good mesh. Put the paper between the gears first. Snug it up so the paper will run through the gears without binding, and u should be set.

Basically I took a piece of paper folded it once then wedged that between the spur gear and the pinion year and tighten the motor down from there. I can see with my eyes it has a very small amount of space between the two gears and I can run a piece of paper through there and it doesn't bind so hopefully I got it right this time. I'm having fun though learning about all this and working on ..
    Let's Get Dangerous - "DWD"

RC Competitor
    I'm pretty new to this also, it's been fun to learn about these as well. 23/86 is the stock gearing for the VXL, which is what I usually run. With a 2s I've not had any temp issues, I've seen 140 degree temps. With a 3s temps are higher but I don't run it that long with a 3s. As far a gear mesh, using the folded paper is the same way I was taught.
    Good luck!

Sent from my S4 using tapatalk

RC Racer
    No problem, why did you run it in training mode? Why not sport mode? And I don't think It will do exactly double because of aerodynamics and drag etc. so I think it will do maybe 45mph, maybe more, maybe less.

My slash has a castle creations sidewinder SCT 3800kv brushless system. I ran 3s geared at 23/90 42mph and on 2s 26mph (I did the same as you, with my phone but I zip tied it to the chassis. And I have a life proof case) hopefully I can get a few runs in today geared at 23/86 on 2s and 3s, but it's gonna be raining here soon, and all day
    Training mode because I chickened out of full speed in regular mode so I thought training mode would tell me what 50% of the speed would be then I could just double it.. After the run my brain kicked in and I realized thats probablly not how it works..

And yeah I have a lifeproof too and I was zip tied to the front bumper, but still.. I don't trust it in a 40+ mph crash lol.. Maybe what i should be doing is somehow securing it inside the car instead of to the outside..

And i know what you mean about the rain. I'm in S FLA and it rained here all week. Today is finally sunny.. Hot though, its 80.

RC Qualifier
    I zip tie mine to the battery bracket so it's not in the impact zone
    Let's Get Dangerous - "DWD"

RC Racer
    Latest GPS speeds:

23/86 - 2s Lipo - 35 mph
    23/86 - 3s Lipo - 42 mph

I got a new controller with steering expo so now it's much easier to control at high speeds.. Kind of surprised the 2s & 3s are so close. But with 3s it has much better acceleration...

RC Racer
    By the way 35 is exactly what Traxxas advertises for the Slash 2WD 23/86 with a 2s... Actually they say "35+" but hey I'm happy. But on 3s they say "50+" and I'm not even close...

RC Qualifier
    By the way 35 is exactly what Traxxas advertises for the Slash 2WD 23/86 with a 2s... Actually they say "35+" but hey I'm happy. But on 3s they say "50+" and I'm not even close...
    Call traxxas and complain! Lol
    They shouldn't advertise what their products can't do.
    Even of they say it goes 35, and it goes 34.9 that does not count! They said 35 and I wanted 35. So what did I get Not 35! Just my opinion

RC Qualifier
    With my cc 3800 sct set up geared 23/86 on 3s I got 52.4 mph. I don't see how the velenion could match that being that it's only a 2 pole.

Quote Originally Posted by dontlift19 View Post
    With my cc 3800 sct set up geared 23/86 on 3s I got 52.4 mph. I don't see how the velenion could match that being that it's only a 2 pole.
    A 4 pole of the same kv as a 2 pole wont be any faster just have more torque and possibly run cooler.

RC Qualifier

Yes, but the cc SCT system has a 4 pole 3800kv
    And the velineon system has a 2 pole 3500kv
    So the cc system would be faster (and cheaper)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    A 4 pole of the same kv as a 2 pole wont be any faster just have more torque and possibly run cooler.
    Ok, I gotcha. Kv volts = rpm's. 2 pole or 4 pole doesn't make it turn more or less rpm's, it just makes it get there quicker.

Yes, but the cc SCT system has a 4 pole 3800kv
    And the velineon system has a 2 pole 3500kv
    So the cc system would be faster (and cheaper)

The number of poles has no bearing on speed or rpms the motor will turn.
    The 3800 being 300kv higher will be a bit faster at top end but not more then two or three mph.
    As I stated before the 4 pole will have more torque not speed, a 2 pole 3500kv and a 4 pole 3500kv will ultimately achieve the same top speed.
    Ok, I gotcha. Kv • volts = rpm's. 2 pole or 4 pole doesn't make it turn more or less rpm's, it just makes it get there quicker.
    For the most part yes, the 4 pole will pull harder.

RC Qualifier
    I am running 23/86 with my Slash VXL and on 3s I go about 45-50, but haven't measured it and I could be totally wrong.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC Racer
    I tried my 2wd slash vxl with gearing 76/31 and it crazy fast can't handle with 3s but after five minutes stop because the motor is very hot.

RC Racer
    Latest test with:
    23/86 gearing on 3s lipo: 47 MPH!

I'm thrilled with this speed. I can't believe how fast it's going.. Tempted to try 26/72 gearing. My temps are still below 140..