RC Champion

Thinking of buying a Spartan. Will stock hold up for 4s?

Hi everyone, I'm planning on selling my 1/10 and 1/16 Summits and buying a boat, and I'm kind of stuck on what to get. I'm torn between the Spartan or a Pro Boat Impulse 31 V2. I like Traxxas and I like the look of the Spartan, but all the negative comments I've read online have me nervous about it. Whichever one I get I only plan on running it on 4s, and it looks like most of the problems people complain about with the Spartan are from running it on 6s. So, will a stock Spartan hold up to running on 4s? Is there anything I'll have to upgrade? I've also read a lot of negativity about the ABS hull, but I'm not sure why. Does the hull hold up well? Thanks.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Qualifier
    hello and i would get the spartan if it was my choice since i own 1 myself.i have had no problems with my hull at all.i run my boat on 4s,5s and 6s but i have more 2s batteries so i tend to do 3 or 4 runs on 4s and 1 on 5s and 1 on 6s and have had no major problems.for upgrades before mine even hit the water i did the dual inlet rudder and dual outlet.by doing this you give the motor and esc it's own cooling line so they both get cool water instead of it going past the esc and heating up and then the motor and plus the water jacket that comes on the spartan tends to leak water in the boat.i think the ones that have problems with the hull run alot or all the time in choppy water.

RC Champion
    Thanks hopduperevo. I've seen the kintec dual inlet rudder, is that the one to get? Also I see they have water jackets, would one of those be better than stock? Thanks.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Qualifier
    yes i just got the new kintec rudder that looks just like the stocker but is dual inlet and yes get an aluminum water jacket

RC Champion
    Cool thanks.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Qualifier
    I prefer the OSE dual pickup rudder (it's more $$$). I have had to un-modified ESC's fail (Castle Edition) so I would run the boat on 5s max. I just installed the Kintec 5 inch rudder, STRUT

Otherwise it's a nice boat, the backsplash gaurd is a great add on to! (From OSE) Kintec Racing has a nice stand to!

OSE

Kintec

Thread about the Spartan
    Last edited by Spartanator; 01-10-2014 at 06:19 PM.
    PM for info.....

RC Champion
    Thanks Spartanator. Is there a reason the OSE rudder is better than the Kintec?
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Qualifier
    No problem! Always glad to interest someone into the Spartan! The OSE rudder (fits stock bracket) just seemed to look better, but if you go to Kintec they have TWO duail pickup rudders. One fits stock but does not look as great. The other looks better (IMO) and it is longer, longer rudder=better handling (reduced chine-walk/slow speed turning improved). OSE turn fins may help too, I don't have them so I can't say how well they are....

Kintec Rudder Install

It seems you have been on the forum a while so you know how *some* Traxxas Vehicles need immediate modification.... I would build my own starting from if I wanted to get another one. The Motor/ESC combo from Kintec would be great, I just got mine! I have not had a chance to use it yet.

DollarHobbyz and rockbottom on Ebay. I highly recommend ICB on Ebay as well... Yes I know a lot of linking but I just want to help. I have purchased from each of these sellers among many others, they have not don't me wrong so far.

Thrust-bearing for motor can reduce award loading on the motor bearings....
    Last edited by Spartanator; 01-10-2014 at 07:48 PM. Reason: More links////
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    Aftermarket turn fins do nothing as far as i can see. My pops has the sharpened ones on his and I dont. I have them in my tool box though..

RC Qualifier
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...R-blue&cat=172 this one i have and it works fine but it will also cause the rear to raise since it's angled
    KR Dual Pickup Rudder Blade Dual pickup upgrade rudder blade for twice the cooling. Has a true vee bottom style straight leading edge for better stability, unlike an angled leading edge which creates tail lift and instability. This is a direct bolt on to the stock rudder bracket with no mods needed. Another quality Kintec Racing product only available here. $25.this one i just purchased and installed but haven't had a chance to try it yet
    5 inch Rudder Offset Base w/ Dual water pickup and this one is for the boat i am building but it is also HUGE compared to the stockers. which ever one you choose it will help with the aluminum motor jacket to help keep it all cool you will also need a dual outlet and extra hose and put another hole in the rear for the extra hose
    Last edited by hopduperevo; 01-10-2014 at 11:58 PM.

RC Qualifier
    So after all of our inputs the short answer is yes. We do highly recommend a dual pickup rudder with the a new aluminum motor jacket. It can be a great boat if you don't run on 6s stock, I think 5s is pushing the bar a little. So in theory if you run 4s all should be good as long as proper maintenance is done.

Like I said if I got to do it all over again I would build from scratch with aftermarket parts. Would I get expensive lipos, no. Reason being is they will most likely be exposed to water so the Traxxas ones are ok. It will be enjoyable on 4s but even more on 5s!
    PM for info.....

RC Champion
    Thanks everyone for your input. As soon as I get my Summits sold I'll be ordering one. Thanks again.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Qualifier
    i 2nd what spartanator said the only thing i would do different is i'd buy spc batteries jm2c good luck and let us know when you get it

RC Qualifier
    Get your Summits' sold yet? I would keep one so you could have a tow rig...
    PM for info.....

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
    Get your Summits' sold yet? I would keep one so you could have a tow rig...
    I sold the 1/16th but not the 1/10th. I've been busy though so I only just now listed it. I'm not worried about a tow vehicle, I've got an E-Revo for that.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.