I think the effect is a combo of the paint and the process I used so I'll detail both.
I used rattle cans, and heated them up by putting them in warm water a few minutes before use. I read that warming the paint helps it flow so I thought I'd try it.
After each coat I used a hair dryer set on the lowest setting and held about 2 feet away from the body (so as not to disturb the paint) to help speed up the drying process. I'm not sure what effect this has on the paint but I'm an impatient bugger and don't like waiting around watching paint dry.
The main body is Pactra Pearl Green laid down in three very light - misting - coats. It is backed with 5 light coats of Pacta 304 Backing Black.
As a side note: Testor's has discontinued the Pactra line of paint. The backing black in particular is getting hard to find around here.
The gloss black is Pactra Outlaw Black - about three coats. I ran out. It is backed with some Rustoleum for plastic stuff in black. I hope it holds.
The front windows have three misting coats of Tamiya Smoke applied while the rear windows have 5 misting coats of Tamiya Smoke and then backed with a very light coat of black.