Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

Pirate's Slash 4wd Journal

I want to chronicle the life of my Slash 4wd. She has started off life as stock but I'm planning on lots of upgrades as I plan to start running her on 3s. I've posted some of these pictures before but I want to consolidate them.

New truck day! December 14th, 2013:

First mud bashing session. December 26th, 2013:

Running with my brother's Slash 4wd and my son's new Stampede:

Burned out first ESC running on 7cell NiMh. Bummer. December 30th, 2013:

Sent to Traxxas.

First mod - New shoes! Added premounted Proline Trenchers:

Other mods - Installed King Headz motor mount and aluminum slipper adapter, Velcro mod to drive shaft:

Upcoming mods:

Purchased Proline extended body mounts in anticipation of a new body. I'm leaning towards a Jeep Cherokee next but also thinking about the Chevy HD or possibly the new Desert Raid.

Select aluminum. I'm not keen on blinging this one out but I see key reinforcements in my future including new shock caps, caster blocks, and bearing carriers. I'm still debating the color scheme. My son's Stampede is getting red TRX aluminum. My Pede is getting green TRX aluminum. I'm not sure about the Sl4sh yet.

RPM A-arms on hand but I'm running the stock until they break.

Additional cooling for the esc/motor.

Current accessories:

I'm using Onyx 235 and Onyx 245 chargers. I have a selection of 7 cell NiMh batteries, 2 cell LiPo's and bought a 3s the other day but haven't run it yet.

Dynamite Traxxas Starter tool set, tools included with Slash and Stampedes, temp gun, and various things I've dug out of the garage and found useful:

So that's the setup as of today. Stay tuned.
    I like to pretend I know what I'm talking about.

RC Qualifier
    Looks good. I based my color off the motors color. Also up can go off a certain paint job.
    I'm always changing my mind which way I want to go I have decided oIn the HCG I went navy and baby blue. First it was going to be red and blue so I need a new motor mount but I have a few more idea for her as well
    I've found there's a few parts your going to be stuck blue or black.

Looks like you like to have fun with your trucks I'm interested in seeing what mods you go with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slash 4x4 MMP/2800kv

Slash 4x4 LGC MM2/2650kv

RC Qualifier
    Sweet. Good choice with the kings head motor mount. You shouldn't have any problems in the future as you expand on the upgrades. Keeps us posted!

RC Racer
    Thanks for posting guys! You all have inspired me with your posts and mods so much, I wanted to contribute.

The Proline Desert Raid body is now available. I just ordered one to try on the Slash. I also picked up their Cherokee body for 1/10 crawlers. I've seen it with okay results on the Slash and Stampede so it will end up living on something.

RC Racer

Proline Extended Body Mounts Installed

I installed the extended body mounts tonight. Quick easy and painless modification. Pop the parts off the plastic tree, cut and sand smooth. Yeah, I'm picky that way. Then assemble.

I noticed the metal studs on my brother's set had a tendency to pop out of the cross bar on nasty crashes. He lost a cap and the stud that way.

I put a dab of CA at the base of each stud before screwing them in to help alleviate the problem.

Last edited by pirate; 01-07-2014 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Fixed typo

RC Racer
    Got some parts for my Stampedes last night but nothing came in for the Slash. I tore down the front and back ends last night, cleaned and reassembled. There was some binding somewhere.

I cleaned and sanded the axles. They slide much better now.

The front is smooth and clean but there is something still going on in the rear diff. There's a very slight "catch" every so often - like maybe once every 10th or 12th revolution. It's strange to me in that it's kind of at random. The bearings seem good and I didn't see anything obvious so I guess I'll tear the rear diff completely down to take a look.

Can't wait for the rest of my parts to show up, really want to run the Slash.

RC Qualifier
    Waiting on parts can get agonizing, I just waited a week for my Paypal money to clear now it's time to start ordering some stuff for the trucks.

What all to order is the question lol.
    Slash 4x4 MMP/2800kv

Slash 4x4 LGC MM2/2650kv

RC Racer
    Exactly. Too much stuff, never enough fun money.

RC Racer

Lexan adhesion test

In preparation for a body style idea I want to try I'm testing an epoxy that is supposed to have excellent adhesion to polycarbonate plastics (Lexan). Let's find out.

1. The bottom left smear is the proper mix of hardener and resin.

2. The middle left smear has a black tint suitable for epoxy added. Approx 20%.

3. The top left smear has been overloaded with black tint to roughly 40%.

4. Testing how well the epoxy bonds wood and polycarbonate.

The right patch is shoe goo for a control/comparison.

Polycarbonate was prepped by a wipe down with acetone, sanded with 80 grit aluminum oxide sandpaper then wiped again to remove PC dust.
    Last edited by pirate; 01-09-2014 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Because typos bug me

RC Racer
    I might do a video on my epoxy test. The short results are it sticks extremely well to Lexan and is flexible enough after full cure to be suitable on basher bodies. However the black tint did not do well. I also tried a black paint in another batch. Didn't work either.

Why mess with it? Because I can. I wouldn't recommend using it instead of shoe goo. It actually has about the same properties for reinforcement purposes but costs a lot more.

Next! Traxxas has shipped a new VXL-3s to replace the smoked one. Yay! And thank you Traxxas.

I've been stealing parts off the slash to keep the Pedes running. Replacement parts came in for them yesterday so I was able to put the Slash back together.

I'm soaking my bearings in a product I use on my 1:1 truck and boat.

Curious to see the impact. This stuff is great for corrosion protection, I already know that. I'm wondering how well the lubrication properties will hold up on an RC basher.
    Last edited by pirate; 01-11-2014 at 09:33 AM. Reason: This thread needs more pics.

RC Qualifier
    I'm pretty intresteed in seeing what you have up your sleeve for a wood body. I love when guys use control tests and push the envolope of what's been done before
    Slash 4x4 MMP/2800kv

Slash 4x4 LGC MM2/2650kv

RC Racer
    I don't have any real plans yet, just a few rough ideas maybe an old school woody body. I could also see using this with a wood veneer to both strengthen a truck bed and give it a great textured look. I might have to pick up a "vintage" body to play with that idea.

I've thought about building a scratch built RC wooden boat for a while. This test helps me with that idea a lot too.

RC Racer
    Yay! The new VXL-3S arrived today from Traxxas to replace the one they warrantied. Wow that was fast. Thank you Traxxas!

I was planning on working on the Pedes tonight but I think I'll install the esc and sway bar kit I picked up for the Sl4sh instead.

RC Racer

The new Proline Desert Raid body is here!

The sway bar install was a bit of a pain but they are in. I put the black bars on for now. Boy what a difference on pavement! I can't wait to try them in dirt.

The esc install was straight forward.

In other news I got the Proline Desert Raid body in today:

I'm pretty stoked but too tired to work on it tonight.

RC Qualifier
    That body type is mg next one things pretty sweet and deferent
    Slash 4x4 MMP/2800kv

Slash 4x4 LGC MM2/2650kv

RC Racer
    I'm a big fan of different. Here is my real truck and sailboat. Both get comments, looks, and made fun of occasionally but I love them.

In fact, a while back somebody found this exact picture doing a google image search and posted it on a racer's sailing forum. There are like three pages bashing my choice of both, lol. Whatever.

Anyway, when I saw the Desert Raid body I knew it was for me. Now if only someone would make a scale body of my Ridgeline...

RC Qualifier
    I have no wonder why some would tease you about your 1:1 selections. You sure are asking a lot from that Ridgeline. lol. If I saw you driving that down the road, I would promptly pull over... WAaaayyy over, wait 30 minutes, then continue on my way. During those 30 or so minutes, I would likely listen to the local police scanner waiting to hear about a wannabe truck flipping, careening off the road taking out multiple motorists while attempting to stop at a red light...

Great looking sailboat though.
    Slash 4x4
    Summit

RC Racer
    back at ya. I love my Ridgeline. It towed that boat from Texas to Alabama in a 20mph crosswind with no problem, has gone where my brother's Sierra got stuck and even pulled a concrete truck out of a mud patch once. I've also hauled round bales of hay around with it on occasion.

RC Champion
    you trim the body yet

RC Racer
    No, I was wiped out after work last night and went to bed right after posting the pictures. Hopefully I'll work on it tonight.

RC Qualifier
    lol. Risky biz. Going where your brothers sierra couldn't doesn't say anything about the capability of the ridgeline but speaks volumes about how well your brother takes care of his truck or lack there of rather. Tires play the biggest role when offroading, so if he got stuck and you didn't. He needs new tires. Or hes been hauling to much and his suspension is sagging like his ol' ladies... If ya catch my drift.

Oh I crack myself up sometimes.
    Slash 4x4
    Summit

I'm pretty intresteed in seeing what you have up your sleeve for a wood body
    You fellas ever seen any of head quacks wood rc bodys?
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...59568121,d.aWc
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Finkledbody View Post
    lol. Risky biz. Going where your brothers sierra couldn't doesn't say anything about the capability of the ridgeline but speaks volumes about how well your brother takes care of his truck or lack there of rather. Tires play the biggest role when offroading, so if he got stuck and you didn't. He needs new tires. Or hes been hauling to much and his suspension is sagging like his ol' ladies... If ya catch my drift.

Oh I crack myself up sometimes.

Uh-huh. Actually it says more about his driving ability - or lack thereof.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    No, I was wiped out after work last night and went to bed right after posting the pictures. Hopefully I'll work on it tonight.
    how are you doing your paint job
    what design with the colors

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    That's a work of art I enjoy a little wood working myself but wow that guy took it to a whole new level. Lol if I crashed after 50hrs of work I'd shed a little tear, although real crash damage might be cool
    Slash 4x4 MMP/2800kv

Slash 4x4 LGC MM2/2650kv

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    I'm at work and just skimmed the video. WAY COOL! Bookmarked.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger9 View Post
    how are you doing your paint job
    what design with the colors
    Using rattle cans. It's going to be kinda understated and a bit basic. Pactra pearl green backed with the 304 backing black. Some gloss black accents. I want some texture to the wheel wells and that roof "vent" thing. I'm still experimenting there but I have two ideas using some epoxy and unconventional materials I want to experiment with.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    Using rattle cans. It's going to be kinda understated and a bit basic. Pactra pearl green backed with the 304 backing black. Some gloss black accents. I want some texture to the wheel wells and that roof "vent" thing. I'm still experimenting there but I have two ideas using some epoxy and unconventional materials I want to experiment with.
    that sounds awesome man cant wait to see!!!! good luck with it and are you making a roof rack for it.

RC Racer
    I doubt it. I think I'll leave it sleek looking.

I was going to cut the body tonight but my lexan shears seem to have grown legs.

RC Racer

Fitting the Desert Raid body

Got the rough cutting done on the Desert Raid body tonight:

The fit isn't right yet. It needs to slide forward a bit, and I want it as low as it will go without rubbing the wheels. Gotta shape it a little around the bumpers to make it happen I think as it's hitting both now without rubbing the wheels when the truck is bottomed out.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by pirate; 01-18-2014 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Added top down photo

RC Racer

Sunday Bashing

I stripped two spur gears in my Pede yesterday and I'm out of spares so I ran the Slash today while my son drove his Pede.

I'm in love! The Trenchers plus sway bars have turned this into a totally different truck.

I tend to baby my Pede a little bit but I drive my Slash like I hate it. Today's torture was hitting a home made jump at full throttle and seeing how high/far I could make her fly. I was landing 25-30 feet away and I'm guessing getting up 10 to 12 feet in the air. It was awesome.

Carnage - three popped shock caps and a lost diaphragm. I've upgraded both Pedes to aluminum caps. I guess it's time for the Slash to get them too.

Ambient temp: 62
    Motor topped at 120
    Last edited by pirate; 01-19-2014 at 07:04 PM.

RC Racer

Painting the Desert Raid body

I think the green pearl is really going to look great the sun. The taped off parts were going to be a matte gray but I think I have changed my mind. I think the green will pop better against a gloss black.

One problem, I forgot to mark the spots for the body posts. Oops.

One problem, I forgot to mark the spots for the body posts. Oops.
    I've done that, I just put some marker ink on the post and set the body on them, they leave a nice mark.

RC Racer

Debuting the new body

It's finished - well except for a skull and crossbones license plate which I have to make. Hello, pirate here.

Very nice, I want one just like it.
    That puts my traxxas rally body to shame.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 01-20-2014 at 09:09 PM.

RC Racer
    I love the body style, it looks so cool running down the road. The painting was fun. I'll get another one when this one wears out. It's a sweet shell.

RC Qualifier
    That body looks awesome! Especially that first pic that has a mirror like finish on the driver door side, I may get one of these bodies over the Silverado or Raptor ones I was considering. Always wanted a pickup truck body(don't like my black stock Slash body-just doesn't look like a truck) but this one is nice.

And I think a Honda Ridgeline would make for a fine RC lol

RC Racer
    i noticed you dont have those metal clips holding your body on, what are you using, looks way cleaner that way

RC Racer
    Thanks Mike.

Yotes, that is the Proline extended body mount kit. I like the fact they screw on but the pavement chews them up pretty good when your on your lid. It's ok, I bought spares - lol.

RC Racer
    What kind of paint did you use? I love that pearl affect. I did want to get the pro line true scale raptor body but now it's between that and the body you just got.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk