RC Competitor

MIP cvd and the slash balance

Hello guys,

I just bought a new Slash 4wd after 10 years without doing any RC.

I plan to run a 3s lipo on the stock vxl system. I also plan to reduce the pigion to avoid overheating problems.

I was wondering about the cvds. If I install the mip ones on the rear only, will the car still be balanced while jumping?

Should I change front and rear or is it ok if I only change the rear ones?

Thanks

RC Champion
    Your okay to just change the rear ones. It should not change the way the truck is. If you don't mind the money just grab a pair for the front. Better safe the sorry.
    Slash 4x4 built from Proline RPM STRC TRX and MIP

You will be just fine with just the rear. The weight difference is not that big. You will appreciate the Mip's on 3s because with the stock axles you will be replacing them often.

Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of this Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have questions please feel free to ask! Remember we are here to help!
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Competitor
    Ok thanks for the answer....

And thanks for the welcome. I've been addicted since the first time I saw an RC vehicule =)

I though I could change only the rear for now... it gives me spare parts to repair the front axels if they break...

If they break too often, then I will consider to change the front ones also.

Front what I've seen MIP makes the strongest ones right?

The ones from traxxas looks really good but not sure if they are that reliable on 3S.

they are that reliable on 3S.
    Imo the velineon on 3s isnt going to be reliable, you can gear down but the motor is still going to turn the same rpms, it will help but if you read a lot of the threads you'll find many velineons dying young on 3s in the 4wd.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Competitor
    I did read those threads also.

Many people had problems, may had no problem at all with the VXL/3s.

I think you must consider a different driving style when using a 3s on this truck (dont hit the throttle too fast, check the ESC and motor temp, have a good ventilation using fans/remove the body.

What do you think.

Quote Originally Posted by EK2K View Post
    I did read those threads also.

Many people had problems, may had no problem at all with the VXL/3s.

I think you must consider a different driving style when using a 3s on this truck (dont hit the throttle too fast, check the ESC and motor temp, have a good ventilation using fans/remove the body.

What do you think.
    They all will help, however as you say this is a very different style of driving.
    I tear the snot out of my trucks, even my grandsons 2wd race rig will get warm on 2s with his vxl-s system.
    There are a few folks who've had ok luck its just my opinion.
    As soon as I purchase a 4wd slash I pull and sell the stock system.
    I wish you the very best of luck, its just I've seen many try and many die running 3s on the stock system but like you say, keep a diligent eye on the temps.
    El Sob I believe runs a stock system in one of his rigs.
    He's a great guy and I'm sure will be able to give you some great input.
    I go this route lol.
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the info Billy.

I will keep that in mind when summer comes.... I didnt purshased any 3s so far.
    The temperature here is around -20C (-4F) so there is no heat and no traction.
    I may change my mind.

Is that what you bought ?? :

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...x_pro_sct.html

Thanks for the info Billy.

I will keep that in mind when summer comes.... I didnt purshased any 3s so far.
    The temperature here is around -20C (-4F) so there is no heat and no traction.
    I may change my mind.

Is that what you bought ?? :

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...x_pro_sct.html
    Yes but its not waterproof, if thats important the mm2 would be the better upgrade, my trucks never get wet.
    I wasn't paying attention to where you live, perhaps heat wont be as big of an issue for you, it was -6 in Mi last night, thats just crazy.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 01-07-2014 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    They all will help, however as you say this is a very different style of driving.
    I tear the snot out of my trucks, even my grandsons 2wd race rig will get warm on 2s with his vxl-s system.
    There are a few folks who've had ok luck its just my opinion.
    As soon as I purchase a 4wd slash I pull and sell the stock system.
    I wish you the very best of luck, its just I've seen many try and many die running 3s on the stock system but like you say, keep a diligent eye on the temps.
    El Sob I believe runs a stock system in one of his rigs.
    He's a great guy and I'm sure will be able to give you some great input.
    I go this route lol.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    You my friend are correct! I am running the stock system in my Slash Ultimate edition lcg. So far I am happy with it. It has ben running very well. However I plan on replacing it with the Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro 2400 combination soon. I have dual fans on the motor to keep it cooler. I am not running a fan on the esc because the VXL bec doesn't like to run three fans. With that said, my temps are never above 152 after a full 5000mah 3s lipo.

RC Qualifier
    What are your ambient temperature?
    Slash 4x4 MMP/2800kv

Slash 4x4 LGC MM2/2650kv

Quote Originally Posted by cmistac View Post
    What are your ambient temperature?
    The temperature out here has been on average around 70. So I am not running it in cold weather. It puts a smile on my face until I drive my Ultimate hcg. That truck has the MMP 2400 in it and it pulls wheelies at around quarter throttle. Full throttle launch and it is on its back.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    The temperature out here has been on average around 70. So I am not running it in cold weather. It puts a smile on my face until I drive my Ultimate hcg. That truck has the MMP 2400 in it and it pulls wheelies at around quarter throttle. Full throttle launch and it is on its back.
    Very nice and I am so jealous of your weather wish we didn't have negative temps but its part of life I guess. Are you using a heat sink or just the 2 fans? My VXL system was always hot before my 6400 50C 3s was done it was a 2 session kind of deal. I've checked my temp gun vs multiple others at the shop and it works right. I only used a single castle fan though. My buddy still runs his stock system so I'll tell him to get adding another fan to brig the temps down.
    Slash 4x4 MMP/2800kv

Slash 4x4 LGC MM2/2650kv

I am running a Integy dual fan heatsink. The esc doesn't get hot so I put two fans on the motor. With this setup when my motor gets to 152 it takes it less than five minutes to get it below 100 after a run. Remember this truck has a two fan maximum. Try three fans and your truck will have problems with the VXL esc bec.

RC Competitor
    Ok I see ;-)

I like the waterproof feature.

Assuming the temprature is around 70F, do you guys think an heatsink and fans are necessary for the stock VXL + 2S lipos ??

RC Champion
    Assuming the temprature is around 70F, do you guys think an heatsink and fans are necessary for the stock VXL + 2S lipos ??
    Depends on the gearing you run. Stock gearing you shouldn't have any heat problems but if you change the gear its not a bad idea to throw a fan on there.
    Slash 4x4 built from Proline RPM STRC TRX and MIP

RC Qualifier
    my vxl esc stays under 100 degrees even on 3s. It actually only gets kinda warm, which i thought was weird. I don't have a fan on it or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by RallyX3s View Post
    my vxl esc stays under 100 degrees even on 3s. It actually only gets kinda warm, which i thought was weird. I don't have a fan on it or anything.
    Not only weird just plan unheard of.
    What type of temp gun are you using?
    While the motor is the first thing to get hot the vxl-3 on 3s under 100*, thats remarkable.

RC Competitor
    Billy, I think RallyX3s prooves the vxl is better.

I can exchange mine for your castle for free =)