Thread: Savox servo ?

RC Competitor

Savox servo ?

Just wondering if anyone changed out the stock servo ? My buddy has a Savox and it seems real nice. I like the traxxas servo and the waterproof quality it has. But I'm tempt to get the fast and strong savox to hopefully make my steering more responsive..

Any input?

RC Qualifier
    Just know, the savox servos are extremely pricey. I got mine for 80$. That's not the waterproof version because I race. Waterproof servos are not as fast. What's your budget?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Go Traxxas, Team Associated, and Losi!

RC Qualifier
    Don't underestimate the 2075.

You can spend a lot more and it won't make any discernible difference.

I pick up spare 2075s on ebay for $10-$12 all the time. Use them in a lot of things.

RC Qualifier
    I don't use them because they're underpowered for racing. Just my opinion. Remember, YOU NEED A GLITCH BUSTER!

RC Qualifier
    A good servo will make or break you on certain tracks. I could hardly coast thru some parts of the track I run on with the 2075 in my slash. Put in a hitec servo with a transit speed of .11 and was able to rip thru those same sections that I could hardly make it thru before.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

RC Competitor
    Sounds like a no brainer. Sounds like it adds some good cornering abilities. ! Crispy I have to know what else are you using these servos for ?

You rarely hear anything bad about Savox servos, they are quick, crisp, metal geared, and a good example of getting what you pay for.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvettedan22 View Post
    Sounds like a no brainer. Sounds like it adds some good cornering abilities. ! Crispy I have to know what else are you using these servos for ?
    We have a starter on-road class here were they use Tamiya TT-01s with a silver can motor. I put the Traxxas servo in both of my boy's cars for one. I also use the XL-5 as the ESC.

RC poster
    What is the best route to figure out which Savox servo you need? My 10 y/o has already trashed the plastic gears in the factory unit, and I would like to upgrade it to one that has metal gears and is waterproof. I'm new to this hobby, so unsure where to look. Thanks in advance for any advice!

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    I have had great luck with the SW-0231 waterproof metal gear servo. It has 208 oz. of torque and has been working great. If you get it from certain sellers on ebay you get a glitch buster with it - all for $45!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Qualifier
    Savox servos are very power hungry and benifit from being run off an external bec but they do what you ask of them as long you give them the power they need. I run a 1268 in my erbe with 40 series trenchers and it whips them around like nothing. They def make quailty servos, imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

RC Racer
    i have a savox in my slash with no problem then again i also use a tekin 8 scale esc in my slash and have a glitch buster

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    The savox 0251(40$) is powerful, but not waterproof. Its only a little faster than a 2075, but with 50+% more torque. On a super tight carpet oval, the 0251 feels much faster than the near same 2075 speed specs suggest because it is. It takes much more than 125 oz of torque to swing sct tires with authority in high traction.

That being said, I also totally agree with this cept for when racing.

Don't underestimate the 2075.

You can spend a lot more and it won't make any discernible difference.

I pick up spare 2075s on ebay for $10-$12 all the time. Use them in a lot of things.
    For <20$, this servo is a great deal because its waterproof. It also is very capable for almost EVERY (even slash 2wd mt's) bashing situations minus 17mm truggy tires. My bashers dont need more than this.

But....
    For racing, a stronger servo than the 2075 will improve the trucks agility and in turn, lap times.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

Nothing wrong with Savox servos if you want to save a little money and don't mind running an external BEC. The insane amount of noise they give off, plus the fact that they're extremely power hungry is enough to convince me to spend a few extra bucks on a better servo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5oetGV__G8

To make something clear, the 0251 does not need a bec or glitch buster. It works with mmp just fine.

RC Champion
    Also, waterproofing a servo is easy. A little liquid tape or plastidip on the outside, plus some grease around the inside of the output gear, and it's waterproof.

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    To make something clear, the 0251 does not need a bec or glitch buster. It works with mmp just fine.
    With specs like that, I would hope you wouldn't need a cap. That one is even slower than the 2075, but with good torque. Nothing wrong with Savox. They work as good as any other servo, but with the "bigger" ones you have to factor in the price of a cap or external BEC. Sometimes the cheaper servo price doesn't exactly add up when you factor in necessary add-ons to make it work properly. The extra noise they make isn't a big deal either if the buzzing doesn't bother you. Even better for a nitro where the engine will drown out the servo noise.

Its faster than the 2075. Dont care what the specs say lol. It is a good mid range bashers servo. Also want to add that it will not fit a 2wd stampede as the tall case interferes with the ft body mount or proline shock tower parts. It is as quiet as the 2075, maybe this piece is built differently than the 80$ savox offerings.

RC Champion
    I agree with rag6. It may not be faster on the basic specs, but it is in real usage. With no load, the 2075 is faster. But put it under a load, and the savox will beat it.

RC Qualifier
    We've been very happy with our Savox servos- 1258 and 1257. They are very fast and strong, durable as well. I lock out the servo savers on our trucks and run an aluminum horn on mine. Both are heavy bashers, with Stampede size tires on mine. I run caps on each just to be safe- something I've always done regardless.

All servos are "water resistant", but not waterproof- unless your Slash is a submarine, take apart your new servo of choice, pack the geartrain with good grease, grease up the case seals, reassemble, and put a greased o-ring on the output, between the case and horn. DC 111 valve packing compound is my grease of choice.

Oddly enough, unlike everyone else in the RC world, I have never had good luck with Hitec servos. I have had good luck with Futaba, JR/Spektrum, and this one with no stickers on it that I got from this guy...

RC poster
    I'm currently on my 3rd 2075 for my slash vxl...I'm looking at savox and hitec. plastic gears are not meant for me What servo do you think I can run without running a glitch buster or capacitor. I mean I could run one if I wanted but I have no clue how to install GB's or caps. I've only modified suspension for the most part...Regardless I need a more durable servo STAT. Doesn't need to be waterproof imo, I'm just bashing out in New Mexico now so it's pretty dry.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash Slayer View Post
    I'm currently on my 3rd 2075 for my slash vxl...I'm looking at savox and hitec. plastic gears are not meant for me What servo do you think I can run without running a glitch buster or capacitor. I mean I could run one if I wanted but I have no clue how to install GB's or caps. I've only modified suspension for the most part...Regardless I need a more durable servo STAT. Doesn't need to be waterproof imo, I'm just bashing out in New Mexico now so it's pretty dry.
    Depending on the Savox model, you may very well need a glitch buster because they need a 6v BEC. Hitecs are good and relatively cheap. The only downside is that you will likely need to find a 24 spline horn if your truck does not include one.

RC Qualifier
    A glitch buster or cap just plugs into any open slot on your RX. They only cost a couple of bucks, and are cheap insurance. We haven't had any problems with a Savox 1257, VXL-3S, and Traxxas RX. The Savox servos are 25 spline; Hitec servos are 24 spline. I have had better luck with Savox than Hitec, and Savox costs less when comparing specs and seem faster.

RC Racer
    I love my savox servo very fast. The only thing is not a water proof i bought plasti dip to make waterproof.

here is my savox servo

RC Enthusiast
    Though I love my savox on my sct410, I think ace 1015 would be a better choice for the slash. And if you're on a budget, the traxxas high speed one is "nearly" competitive to that servo at 5v. (if you run an external BEC and can go 6v, the ace beats is hands down)

If you don't plan on racing and it's only for bashing, the traxxas high speed high torque one is plenty in my opinion. If you do race.... the sky's the limit. My savox which I run at 7.4v has 277 oz/in torque, and 60 degree time is 0.065s. It's a beast of a brushless servo. But it all boils down to your use.

EDIT: plus if it's just for bashing, the traxxas one is waterproof... that's a plus for bashing, i love bashing in puddles, snow, mud, etc lol

...Regardless I need a more durable servo STAT.
    Savox 0251 is much more durable, much stronger, 40$, and does not need a glitch buster or bec.

RC Competitor
    So I ended up buying the Savox 1258. Basically a crazy fast servo. I really wanted to stay waterproof but felt I had to try this servo. I actually picked it up used for $40 so if I happen to get it wet to the point it fails its not that bad of a loss. Here are some numbers (specs) from my Savox investigation. From what I hear one number lower on the servo speed is a big and noticeable difference. So going from a spped of .17 to a .15 should be huge, but I had to try the .08. Prices based on ebay. Savox recommended the sw-1210sg. Since I was going to have such a nice servo I ordered the bearings for the servo bellcrank system to keep it smooth rather then having the plastic bushings. But then the next day I said screw it and just ordered a STRC bell crank, along with a kimbrough 124 servo saver. Anyways here is the numbers that I found I had to choose from

$15 Stock Traxxas 2075 Servo Speed.17 Torque 125 Water proof but said to be slow and low on torque.

$45 Savox 0231 Water proof - Speed.15 Torque 200 How ever this is made for marine and does not have cooling, not for rc cars, but it works and people use it.

$95 Savox 12105G Waterproof Speed.15 Torque 200. Savox recommended this. Water proof, fast, lots of torque. Best for all around.

$70 Savox 1258 Speed.08 Torque 166 More for racing

$75 Savox 1256 Speed.15 Torque 277 Extremely durable with the high torque.
    Last edited by Corvettedan22; 02-04-2014 at 01:33 PM.

RC Competitor
    $45 Savox 0251 Speed .18 Torque 222 Not bad, but slower then stock

All the Savox have metal gears and are stronger then stock

RC poster
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. No suprise I finally mounted my rpm revolver wheels with badland tires and took it out in the dirt where I ride my dirt bike and stripped my 3rd 2075. I don't care about turning speed, I just need more strength and durability. With metal gears. Savox is my next step!

RC Competitor
    slash is your bell crank stock ?

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    If it is, give the Pro-Line steering setup a try. I put one on my Slash years ago and had been running the same cheapie MG995 Tower Pro servo ($9) for something like four years with heavy use and lots of jumping off ramps. Water finally did it in. The gears were still good.

FLM BL E-Maxx - BL Slash - BL 4Tec - Wraith - SCX-10 - Custom Axial 6WD - Custom Losi micro Monster Truck - Losi Micro-T Hummer - Custom Losi Micro Peterbilt Crawler - More to come!!
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

$45 Savox 0251 Speed .18 Torque 222 Not bad, but slower then stock
    The 0251 is faster. especially when pushing something. either savox underrated the speed, traxxas overrated the speed, or the lack of torque of the 2075 makes it much slower when pushing the tires. I raced both servos on carpet in my slash oval car, and hands down, the 0251 was much faster no question.

The 0251 is faster. especially when pushing something. either savox underrated the speed, traxxas overrated the speed, or the lack of torque of the 2075 makes it much slower when pushing the tires. I raced both servos on carpet in my slash oval car, and hands down, the 0251 was much faster no question.
    I'm with you on the torque making the servo turn faster. I also have a feeling that if you were to compare the servos in something lighter and with smaller tires, such as a 2wd buggy, you might notice the opposite as far as transit times are concerned. All the speed in the world doesn't help if it doesn't have enough torque to turn the wheels.

I am gonna have to do a side by side speed comparison with no load showing the speed of the servo arms. We need a servo spec tester. Something you bolt onto the servo to measure actual speed and torque. There must be something like this out there? I mean how do they come up with their spec in the first place? Otherwise we are at the mercy of the manufacturers spec data.

RC Qualifier
    I am gonna have to do a side by side speed comparison with no load showing the speed of the servo arms. We need a servo spec tester. Something you bolt onto the servo to measure actual speed and torque. There must be something like this out there? I mean how do they come up with their spec in the first place? Otherwise we are at the mercy of the manufacturers spec data.
    That has to be expensive

RC poster
    Anybody tried Savox 1267? A friend of mine have this servo on his nitro powered buggy. He recommend me this one.

Quote Originally Posted by indraalfarisy View Post
    Anybody tried Savox 1267? A friend of mine have this servo on his nitro powered buggy. He recommend me this one.
    If you esc has a 7.4 volt setting it should work.
    That servo was made to work right from a 2s lipo I believe.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Racer
    i seen savox servos that are waterproof now but i think there are more than the non waterproof servos