RC Enthusiast

Diff set up for bashing

Hi all and happy new year. I'm new to Rc as my sons and I just got into the hobby. We have a slash 4x4 that started as a stampede vxl (10 yr old insisted on a Monster truck). He's since realized that slashes are way more fun to drive (stability) so I converted to a lcg. I've done a bunch of stuff along the way like rpm bumpers, techno drive shafts, big bore shocks, proline f-11 beadlocks with streetfighters and badlands. I'm learning a lot and having fun. Next upgrade will be a king headz mount with revo slipper as we recently blew out the bearing. It's now been well over a year and the diffs have never been apart and it seems like it's time for them to be re-oiled or greased. We drive either on the street at our house or out in the desert (so-cal Mohave area, we are a dirt biking family) hence the exchangeable tires. It is very loose on top with tiny pebbles/rocks on top of hard pack where we ride. I realize these are very different surfaces but was hoping to find a good middle ground for both as I'm not into redoing this every time we go out riding. I've done a bunch of searching to try and appease the "do a search" peeps out there but are so many different answers and most are for racing set ups with center diffs. So finally the question, what do I run in the diffs? Grease? Oil? Weights? Those who run center diffs need not respond. Thanks!

RC Champion
    Slash basher here dirt only. I tried a lot of different fluid weights before I found my sweet spot. I run 100K front and rear and love it. The heavier the oil the more the axles are to lock together like a posi in a real car. I have tons of more control and fun with the heavier fluid. Get 2 Traxxas #5381 they are cheap and have all parts to do a diff rebuild F&R . Just coat the external ring gear with a good automotive grease. I use Lucas Red&Tacky bearing grease I like the film strength but any will work. I do a rebuild every 6 months and the stuff is just nasty. Almost forgot welcome to the addiction and now go have fun.
    Last edited by pro mod steve; 01-05-2014 at 07:19 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Also basher, i run posi spool lock diff in rear and 80k in front, more control of the front and more power on the back!
    Summit RX8/1550kv-Slash4x4 MM2/2400kv Twin-V Merv.

RC Champion
    Does this posi spool make the back wheels lock?
    Slash 4x4 built from Proline RPM STRC TRX and MIP

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Bash'n'slash View Post
    Does this posi spool make the back wheels lock?
    Yes it does!
    Summit RX8/1550kv-Slash4x4 MM2/2400kv Twin-V Merv.

RC Champion
    Awesome! Where can I get one? Who sells it?
    Last edited by Bash'n'slash; 01-05-2014 at 09:01 PM.
    Slash 4x4 built from Proline RPM STRC TRX and MIP

RC Qualifier
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
    Slash basher here dirt only. I tried a lot of different fluid weights before I found my sweet spot. I run 100K front and rear and love it. The heavier the oil the more the axles are to lock together like a posi in a real car. I have tons of more control and fun with the heavier fluid. Get 2 Traxxas #5381 they are cheap and have all parts to do a diff rebuild F&R . Just coat the external ring gear with a good automotive grease. I use Lucas Red&Tacky bearing grease I like the film strength but any will work. I do a rebuild every 6 months and the stuff is just nasty. Almost forgot welcome to the addiction and now go have fun.
    Thanks Steve. Just curious since you have done all the trial n error, what was the result of a lighter weight up front like say 50k? Also, do you get any leaking? Btw... Got your tip from another thread about the anti-seize for the motor lock down with the kings heads mount. Good lookin out!

RC Qualifier
    Diff spools are great, +1 on the diff spool/locker.
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Qualifier
    The prior posters suggestions are not influenced by conventional wisdom. lol. 100k in the front and rear, albiet is alot of fun, does not increase stability in the corners. Definitely does not help exiting the corners. The higher the wt oil, the more goosey and tail happy it will be.

If your like me and want to have a bit of oversteer but maintain stability while exiting the corner, its recommended to have a lighter wt oil in the rear and heavier oil in the front. A good starting point is 50k in the front and 30k in the rear if you run on the loose stuff like dirt and sand. You might find that 30k in the front, 10-15k in the rear to be ideal for you. Buy a few different wts and play around with them.

Racers generaly recommend 10-15k in the front and 7k in the rear.

But if you looking to go drifting and sliding wildy through the corners then you want 100k in the rear and 30-100k in the front. **I must admit, It is alot of fun.

I've personally gone all routes over the last year of racing and bashing. I've settled at 50k front // 30k rear.
    Last edited by Finkledbody; 01-06-2014 at 09:12 AM. Reason: **added

I run 100k in the rear and 30k in the front. For me I have more control overall with thicker fluid in the rear. With thinner fluid I couldn't give it full throttle or the truck would either spin out or flip over with the stock S1 tires. When existing corners it would do similar with instability reigning. 100k fluid allows me to put usable power to the ground and maintain control.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I run 100k in the rear and 30k in the front. For me I have more control overall with thicker fluid in the rear. With thinner fluid I couldn't give it full throttle or the truck would either spin out or flip over with the stock S1 tires. When existing corners it would do similar with instability reigning. 100k fluid allows me to put usable power to the ground and maintain control.
    I plan to give your setup a try on my lcg ultimate. New xo-1's will get this set up - all parts on order.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Finkledbody View Post
    The prior posters suggestions are not influenced by conventional wisdom. lol. 100k in the front and rear, albiet is alot of fun, does not increase stability in the corners. Definitely does not help exiting the corners. The higher the wt oil, the more goosey and tail happy it will be.

If your like me and want to have a bit of oversteer but maintain stability while exiting the corner, its recommended to have a lighter wt oil in the rear and heavier oil in the front. A good starting point is 50k in the front and 30k in the rear if you run on the loose stuff like dirt and sand. You might find that 30k in the front, 10-15k in the rear to be ideal for you. Buy a few different wts and play around with them.

Racers generaly recommend 10-15k in the front and 7k in the rear.

But if you looking to go drifting and sliding wildy through the corners then you want 100k in the rear and 30-100k in the front. **I must admit, It is alot of fun.

I've personally gone all routes over the last year of racing and bashing. I've settled at 50k front // 30k rear.
    Never once did I ever admit to having wisdom ( witch I don't) BUT I did admit to being a basher in witch I don't care how it turns on a track. I know what makes my truck work the way I want it to and if it helps someone else great.

RC Enthusiast
    It's seems my answer will only come through "the process" as this is clearly a season to taste issue and I suppose a bit of a rite of passage. I ordered a 30,50, and 100, and it looks like I will be screwing and unscrewing a bunch to get my taste. I will eventually post my results (could be a while as I should live with each combo for a bit). Thanks all for the input.

It's seems my answer will only come through "the process" as this is clearly a season to taste issue
    LOL, Thats why I wasn't chiming in, while I dont race a 4wd I have been racing 2wd and playing with diff fluids for a while now, what works for one may not be anothers cup of tea.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.