RC Racer

EZ Peak Plus 6 charging time approximations

Turning off all limitations, using the EZ Peak Plus 6 Charger

How long do you think it'll approximately take to charge

• One SPC 5000mAh, 50C, 2S, 7.4V
    • Two in parallel, SPC 5000mAh, 50C, 2S, 7.4V using the 2917 dual board.
    • One SPC 6500mAh, 65C, 2S, 7.4V
    • Two in parallel SPC 6500mAh, 65C, 2S, 7.4V using the 2917 dual board
    • One SPC 7200mAh, 70C, 2S, 7.4V

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Charging at no more than 1C:

One SPC 5000mAh, 50C, 2S, 7.4V
    - 45 minutes @ 5 amps, 2S voltage.
    Two in parallel, SPC 5000mAh, 50C, 2S, 7.4V using the 2917 dual board.
    - First, the dual board does not charge in parallel... it charges in series.
    - 45 minutes @ 5 amps, 4S voltage.
    One SPC 6500mAh, 65C, 2S, 7.4V
    - 50 minutes @ 6 amps, 2S voltage.
    Two in parallel SPC 6500mAh, 65C, 2S, 7.4V using the 2917 dual board
    - 50 minutes @ 6 amps, 4S voltage.
    One SPC 7200mAh, 70C, 2S, 7.4V
    - 60 minutes @ 6 amps, 2S voltage.

All times are approximate.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    Super thanks. Now (noob question here) Being lipo's there's a good chance they'll be coming out from storage charge. Does that mean, it'll take even less, or are your approximations, from a storage charge, and charging directly after a session of bashing, it'll be even longer.. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post

One SPC 5000mAh, 50C, 2S, 7.4V
    - 45 minutes @ 5 amps, 2S voltage.
    One SPC 6500mAh, 65C, 2S, 7.4V
    - 50 minutes @ 6 amps, 2S voltage.
    Two in parallel SPC 6500mAh, 65C, 2S, 7.4V using the 2917 dual board
    - 50 minutes @ 6 amps, 4S voltage.
    One SPC 7200mAh, 70C, 2S, 7.4V
    - 60 minutes @ 6 amps, 2S voltage.

Sorry... I usually remember to clarify that!
    All times were calculated from LVC to full. The time from storage to full would be roughly half of what I posted.

RC Racer
    Thanks, just bagged 3 of the SPC 6500mAh, 65C, 2S, 7.4V batteries and a Traxxas 2917 dual charging adapter.

And a LiPo charging bag. Don't want to burn the house down, now do i. lol.

Is there anything I should know in regards to first time useage? Or just thrown them on balance charge and go for it !

Balance charge and use gently for the first few cycles to ease them into it.

RC Competitor

I shortened Jimmie Neutron's quote because that's the exact set up I am going to charge.

On my EZ Peak Plus there is no setting for "C" unless I'm missing something. When charging 2 5000mAh, 50C, 2S, 7.4V Lipos using the dual balance board, what number should the amps be set to?
    What doesn't kill u-only serves 2 make u stronger!

RC Racer
    5amps I believe. You would just change the cell count to 4S.

Quote Originally Posted by mpjatogo View Post
    I shortened Jimmie Neutron's quote because that's the exact set up I am going to charge.

On my EZ Peak Plus there is no setting for "C" unless I'm missing something. When charging 2 5000mAh, 50C, 2S, 7.4V Lipos using the dual balance board, what number should the amps be set to?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by thedoc46 View Post
    5amps I believe. You would just change the cell count to 4S.
    I guess I'm looking too deeply into this. Correct me if I'm wrong but a 5000mah battery would charge on 5 amps BECAUSE 1C is the safe charge rate (1C x 5amps). If the battery were rated to charge at 2C, I would charge at 10amps (and possibly blow something up).

There is no setting for C on most chargers that I have come across... there were a few very basic and very "dummied down" chargers that had this setting, but you also put in all the information on the battery in the charger and it did all the calculations for you.

The C rate for charging is calculated by dividing the mAh by 1,000. This equation will give you 1C. If the pack states it is capable of 2C or 10C or 20C charge rates, there is no risk involved in charging at those rates. I would, however, question the company that states extremely high charge rates, but the battery companies I trust don't inflate any rating, so there is nothing to worry about there.

Again, the formula:
    mAh / 1,000 = 1C

RC Competitor
    On the money! Just finished: 45 mins, 18 secs

Good... that means I can still do math. lol

Charge times will vary depending on a lot of factors... the most influential one being balance.

RC Competitor
    Good... that means I can still do math. lol

Charge times will vary depending on a lot of factors... the most influential one being balance.
    Your math is spot on! Thanks for the help!

RC Racer
    I'm a little concerned. This morning is really only my first ever charge from LVC of 3.8

My SPC 6500mAh, 65C, 2S, 7.4V batteries (which I can only charge ONE at a time, cos I've not got my 2917 adapter as yet) are taking over an hour to charge. Using LiPo balance mode 6.0amp 7.4V(2S) The confirmation screen shows "R: 2SER S: 2SER"

So everything set right, correct, and of course the battery also plugged into the balance board.

Well unfortunately its slow to charge. 70mins is too slow in my opinion, and a far cry from the 20mins in the above reply.

Could it be something wrong with my EZ Peak Plus 6? It's unlikely that its my batteries, since i have 3 of them, and its unlikely all three are faulty. Does it take a few charges / discharges for them to come to life and hurry a little on their charging times?

It does seem to take a LOT of time on that few .v The amperage drops down and it seems to spend 20 or 30 mins doing that last .v like from 4.00 to 4.2 takes 30mins...

Any advice welcome.

Charge times will vary depending on a lot of factors... the most influential one being balance. It will take the charger much longer if the cells are out of balance.

RC Racer
    I'm also noticing (cos I'm charging one right now) that at 45mins, it was at 4.19 (both cells)....

I'm now at 55mins, and its still at 4.19 but only using 0.08amps to charge... Am I relying too much on when it says FULL and shuts down, or should i just consider 4.19 as charged and disconnect.

Also will the balancing get better with age? or do i have three batteries that just do not balance that well ? watching the cell voltages, they never that far apart.. example one may be at 4.18 and the other at 4.19..
    Last edited by thedoc46; 01-12-2014 at 07:45 AM.

RC Racer
    right now, 60mins into it, one cell is at 4.19 and the other is at 4.20, @0.08amps its going to spend another 10mins getting that 4.19 to 4.20 before it shuts down saying full.

Is it honestly going to make any difference to shut it down now? beep beep beep beep, its just finished as i was typing this. lol

You can stop the charge before it finishes balancing if you wish, but I wouldn't do it all the time.

RC Racer
    You can stop the charge before it finishes balancing if you wish, but I wouldn't do it all the time.
    Help me understand balancing please. If one cell is say at 4.18 and the other is at 4.19, isn't that sort of balanced already? Even on a fully charged battery, if i look at the voltage reading via the EZ Peak, it's not always 4.20 / 4.20 but often 4.20 / 4.19

Unless I'm misunderstanding, isn't balancing making sure that both cells are more or less the same voltage?

Balancing is making the cells the same voltage, yes.

4.18 and 4.19 is very close to being balanced, but still not balanced; same with 4.20 and 4.19. Is it close enough? Probably...

RC Racer
    I guess that just re-opens the question of the OP. Which was why is it taking so long for the EZ Peak Plus 6 to take a LiPo from a storage charge of 3.8v to full charge of 4.2v.. Taking into consideration that I'm keeping a careful eye on the voltages during charging, and they're never out of balance by more than 0.01. The only thing, that seems to be taking so long, is that it really lowers the amperage down, towards the end, and spends a long time there. Is that like a safety feature of the EZ Peak Plus maybe? One that is making it take twice / maybe three times as long, as other chargers, to charge it from Storage to Full ?

Balancing is making the cells the same voltage, yes.

4.18 and 4.19 is very close to being balanced, but still not balanced; same with 4.20 and 4.19. Is it close enough? Probably...

During balancing, the power is being fed and bled off through the balance wires. These wires cannot withstand high current... which is why the charger (all chargers) drop the current so as to not burn up your balance wires.

RC Racer
    Now that i'm more familiar with this charger, for the sake of others looking to perhaps purchase this charger and a similar battery, and are wanting an accurate approximation of charge time.

These are best case scenarios, with all cells within one battery both at a similar voltage.

One SPC 6500mAh, 65C, 2S, 7.4V from LVC 3.20v to full 4.20v - 80 mins
    One SPC 6500mAh, 65C, 2S, 7.4V from 3.85 to 4.20v 55 mins

Two in parallel SPC 6500mAh, 65C, 2S, 7.4V using the 2917 dual board - over two hrs (it really struggles to balance the other extra battery or better explained, the other 2 cells once, the one battery gets to 4.20v.. If both batteries are at a similar v, when you start, then less, but if they're not the same, it'll take forever ! because as soon as the first 2cells reach 4.20v, the amperage drops to nothing, and that's where it'll sit forever, sloooowly trckle charging the final two cells.

Perhaps its different for other users? This is how its working out for me, after a good few charges.

RC Champion
    I thought the 2917 dual board was a series board. If your running two packs and one pack is drained more than the other, the charger has to balance all these cells, which takes a fair amount of time.
    Problems.The manual's good starting point. Simple

Both of Traxxas dual boards charge in series.

RC Champion
    That's what i thought.

RC Racer
    For the sake of others, learning about batteries and charging, and re-reading my posts, from as soon as a few weeks ago, at the time i was learning all about batteries, charging and chargers. (My noob era).. Now i know a lot more than i did, I think its worth mentioning, regardless if you parallel charge on a non traxxas charger or series charge on a traxxas charger, you really need to make sure that all the cells are at the same voltage. Which is the biggest disadvantage of charging multiple batteries all at once, off a single charger. Example you have two 2S LiPo batteries and Battery 1 is a 3.80 / 3.80 and Battery 2 is at 3.40 / 3.40. Then its too far out, and you should really connect Battery 2 by itself until its at 3.80 / 3.80, before charging both together. This is where duo chargers are really useful.. Because you're abandoning the need to parallel charge, and either battery can be at different voltages. However if you're using the same charger and a parallel board, or a series board (for the traxxas charger) its really going to come to a grinding halt at the end.

Those balance wires will take forever to add charge.. There is one charger out there, by a different manufacturer that balances during charging, (Powerlab series) which I've actually gone ahead and purchased myself, but this setup is not for the fainthearted.. You'll be dipping into your pockets for a decent power supply or modding a redundant server power supply, and the charger itself will cost you the same as what you probably paid for your car... But it can do 40amps, and 1000w... It'll probably be the LAST charger you'll ever buy... But even then you're still relying on parallel charging, albeit a better system than all the other chargers out there.. You can go one step further with a duo.. but once again, to power it you're going to need lots of current and the charger will not give you much pocket change from $300 + whatever you spend on powering the unit. (redundant server power supplies are best bang for you buck) delivering either 12v in single form or 24v in series.

So if you're someone who's got more than one battery. Which most people are.. and are happy to stick at 1C, and have batteries going on charge, all at the same voltage the EZ Peak Plus is ok for you.. Along with the series adapter. Expect times of around 90mins to charge from a LVC or around 55mins from storage.

If you're someone who's on a budget and is happy with a 1C charge rate, and someone who doesn't want to spend time connecting and disconnect adapters and charging a single battery to get its voltage the same as your other battery or batteries, (remember, with the series adapter, you can't just put one battery on charge, unlike a parallel adapter, you have to disconnect everything and change back to the single balance board, so that all your batteries that will be at same voltages.. Then consider two traxxas EZ Plus 6's... Expect to wait an hr from storage or 90min from LVC.

Alternatively if you're someone who wants FAST charging as in 20mins for multiple batteries, but want to keep the cost to under $300, (charger, power supplies and mods) Though remember you're also going to have to make sure that you keep your voltages the same before charging, but this setup is fast, then consider a high amperage charger such as an iCharger 306b or Powerlab 6, and a decent paraboard EP Buddy. A ready made PSU can double your costs right there, so to keep costs down, mod a server psu, but read up on it first, so you don't KILL yourself !

Lastly if you're someone who wants fast charging as in 2C + and are someone who's going to throw batteries on charge that are all at different voltages, consider a duo charger. Which cost around $270 + you're going to need power supplies and extra's to mod it..

I think I've analyzed every possible option, and for me, I've settled on server power supplies to power a powerlab 6, EP Buddy V3 paraboard for my balance board, & down the road, I'll probably buy another less expensive charger, 20amp charger, just in-case i want to charge 'other' batteries out of voltage with each other.

Hope that helps noobs that were in the same place as I, a few weeks ago.

Thanks
    Last edited by thedoc46; 02-11-2014 at 11:31 AM.

Just something to add...
    Any two packs connected together in parallel will equalize voltage within a few moments. This is why it is important to hook the main leads up first and wait a moment before connecting the balance leads to the ParaBoard. This is also why balancing with parallel charging does not take as long as balancing when charging packs in series.

RC Racer
    Thanks Jimmie. So on the equalizing voltage, are you connecting your lipo's to the paraboard, with no charge started, or JST leads, and just leaving them there for a few mins? How much out on voltage are they allowed to be? Is there any rule? I saw a youtube and someone said, no more than .2 of a volt... but then again, he wasn't equalizing. So he was perhaps unaware of the equalizing as a pre-requisite.

Just something to add...
    Any two packs connected together in parallel will equalize voltage within a few moments. This is why it is important to hook the main leads up first and wait a moment before connecting the balance leads to the ParaBoard. This is also why balancing with parallel charging does not take as long as balancing when charging packs in series.

If he was parallel charging, he was equalizing... there is no way not to when any two packs are connected in parallel.

I connect all main leads, wait a few moments, and then connect all balance leads, then start the charge.

More info here:
    https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...allel-charging

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Does this mean it is better to get set up to charge in parallel, than to use the trx series adapter? Does this mean parallel charging will give better, and quicker, balancing?
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

In my opinion, it is safer to charge in parallel than it is in series... there are fewer areas to make mistakes and ruin your equipment.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by thedoc46 View Post
    Now that i'm more familiar with this charger, for the sake of others looking to perhaps purchase this charger and a similar battery, and are wanting an accurate approximation of charge time.

These are best case scenarios, with all cells within one battery both at a similar voltage.

One SPC 6500mAh, 65C, 2S, 7.4V from LVC 3.20v to full 4.20v - 80 mins
    One SPC 6500mAh, 65C, 2S, 7.4V from 3.85 to 4.20v 55 mins

Two in parallel SPC 6500mAh, 65C, 2S, 7.4V using the 2917 dual board - over two hrs (it really struggles to balance the other extra battery or better explained, the other 2 cells once, the one battery gets to 4.20v.. If both batteries are at a similar v, when you start, then less, but if they're not the same, it'll take forever ! because as soon as the first 2cells reach 4.20v, the amperage drops to nothing, and that's where it'll sit forever, sloooowly trckle charging the final two cells.

Perhaps its different for other users? This is how its working out for me, after a good few charges.
    mine takes about the same when balance charging. When normal charging it takes much less. How safe is fast charge mode? never used it before.
    <P4de VXL|Castle 3800kv|MM2|MIP|STRC|Proline|SPC>

Fast charge does not balance... out of balance cells was/is the cause of most LiPo fires.

RC Qualifier
    Fast charge does not balance... out of balance cells was/is the cause of most LiPo fires.
    Yes I know that but I should of explained my question a little better. What's the difference between fast and normal charge? Is normal still better option?

Sent from my neXus⁴ using tapatalk 2

I am not sure of the difference...

I still suggest balance charging every charge.

RC Qualifier
    I am not sure of the difference...

I still suggest balance charging every charge.
    Yeah thats what i do most the time, ive regular charged once and charge time was greatly reduced. But im all about the long run, so ill stick to balancing

RC Champion
    I think its the C/ termination without the CV stage, for fast and for normal is just the same but has extra time in the CV stage, but not the full balance time.
    While you see chargers that look like each other, it's these details in the firmware that's not the same.

RC Champion
    Nearly right.
    Normal is just the balance charge without balance part and ends at 4.2V with a typical C/10 cut off.
    Fast charge is like normal charge but the cut off is at C/5 (Probably depending on brand) cut off.