I've been wanting to do this mod to my boat for a while now, but wasn't sure what would be the best way to do it. My goal was to not have my hatch come off in the event of a flip over, and I didn't want a lot of water to enter my boat before I could get to it. The problem with this hatch is it can flex to the point of the front tab comming out of its' slot during a flip over.
I know (from reading posts) if I trim my hatches' back fins and tape the hatch, that will do the trick. But, I didn't want to change my boats' appearance, and I wanted to get my boat back in the water faster during battery changes. Here is what I came up with to secure and seal my hatch.
Here's what I have done in the past to seal up my hatch.
And, here's what I did with this mod to seal up my modified hatch.
I tested my boat in my friends' indoor pool, and my tests turned out well. With my boat upside down in the water for 30 minuites with its' own weight; I had 3 tablespoons of water. If I held my boat down into the water for 5 minuites; I had 6oz of water. I thought that was pretty good. For me, my worst case would be for my boat to be upside down (under its' own weight) for 15 minuites, and with my hatch now secured in 4 places...there's no way my boats' hatch can flex its' way out of position during a flip over.