RC Qualifier

Spartan Hatch Mod

I've been wanting to do this mod to my boat for a while now, but wasn't sure what would be the best way to do it. My goal was to not have my hatch come off in the event of a flip over, and I didn't want a lot of water to enter my boat before I could get to it. The problem with this hatch is it can flex to the point of the front tab comming out of its' slot during a flip over.

I know (from reading posts) if I trim my hatches' back fins and tape the hatch, that will do the trick. But, I didn't want to change my boats' appearance, and I wanted to get my boat back in the water faster during battery changes. Here is what I came up with to secure and seal my hatch.

Here's what I have done in the past to seal up my hatch.

And, here's what I did with this mod to seal up my modified hatch.

I tested my boat in my friends' indoor pool, and my tests turned out well. With my boat upside down in the water for 30 minuites with its' own weight; I had 3 tablespoons of water. If I held my boat down into the water for 5 minuites; I had 6oz of water. I thought that was pretty good. For me, my worst case would be for my boat to be upside down (under its' own weight) for 15 minuites, and with my hatch now secured in 4 places...there's no way my boats' hatch can flex its' way out of position during a flip over.
    Last edited by ReglarDude; 01-05-2014 at 05:18 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Nice job. I noticed a bolt through the hull that you must have added to hold the bracket in place along with the two sided tape This mod will help make sure the boat never turtles which can cause the electronics to get wet.

RC Qualifier

Spartan Hatch Mod

Bravo! Bravo! Reglardude! Another job for the Solders and copper, time to do mine. By the way you don't need a pool to do the water test, you can do this in a bath tub that would be enough to sink the half part of the Spartan, that way I always do my water tests, Thank You for sharing.
    Last edited by Edgemoulic; 01-05-2014 at 11:33 AM.
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Qualifier
    Nice mod. Well done
    hog

RC Qualifier
    Nice to see someone elso doing something with a Spartan around here, think there was 3-4 of us running! Nice job though! I have never had my hatch come off, have flipped a few times but it was 100% my fault doing circles than hitting the wake....
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    Thank you Spartan owners of all ages and shoe sizes. Let it not be said that I'm not an equal opportunity Spartan owner thank-er. With that said, sorry I haven't been as active on this forum as I was last year, but last year I did a lot more work on my boat. With this year, this was the only mod I did to my Spartan. I'm glad to report, though, that this year I had a great season with no problems at all. All the mods I did last year on my boat/trucks worked great this year. I ran my Spartan, Emax, the wife's Sumitt, and had a blast. I made some new friends this year that have Traxxas RC stuff too. It's been nice having RC friends I could hang with. Anyway, thanks again for the kind words, and I will keep in touch. My wife got me an XO-1 this year for Christmas, so I'll be playing around setting that up, and playing with my hellaflopters untill spring. Let me know if you have any questions that I can help you with (mod wise), and I'll do my best to help.

P.S I put all my RC stuff to Traxxas telemetry this year. It's nice, it works good, and I can help out if needed.
    Last edited by ReglarDude; 01-05-2014 at 05:44 PM.