RC poster

V2 Castle 1600kv motor rotor failure!

After bearing failure the rotor thread winding around the magnets came apart and pieces of magnet fell out when I pulled it apart. Has this happened to any others? All I need to do is replace the rotor but I can't find one anywhere, the vilineon 380 motor rotor looks the same and they are readily available for about $30. I just got new ceramic bearings and only need a rotor to get going again, any suggestions?

RC Qualifier
    what bearings did you get and from where? and if its the stock motor i do believe its an 1800 the leopard is a 1600 but i have been known to be wrong before so someone correct me if i'm wrong.also did you look on castles website? i think i saw them a while back when i was on their site

RC Qualifier
    If you have a version 2 Castle motor it will be an 1800kv motor

If you have a version 1 motor it will be 1600kv

The 1600kv motor used on the original release Spartan was a two pole motor and unfortunately proved to be "not up to task" in the Spartan. Reports of burned up motors and rotor failures were "not uncommon" here, and on other forums.

The newer Castle 1800kv has proven to be a reliable match for the Spartan. There have been occasional reports of motor failures here, but certainly not a common occurrence.

So, if you have a V1 1600kv motor, no surprise, don't bother repairing, just replace it. If you have a V2 1800kv motor then this failure is not a common occurrence.
    Personally I would probably just replace the motor after a significant failure, but if you are confident the windings weren't damaged, the motor should be reliable after a rebuild.

Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions on where to source parts. As hopdup has suggested, Castle's website, or their customer service number, would be where I would start investigating.

hog

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by hopduperevo View Post
    what bearings did you get and from where? and if its the stock motor i do believe its an 1800 the leopard is a 1600 but i have been known to be wrong before so someone correct me if i'm wrong.also did you look on castles website? i think i saw them a while back when i was on their site
    You are correct 1800KV, it's V2. I checked Castle but found nothing for this motor! I got the ceramic bearings 5 X 14 X 5 from Avid. Thanks, I will give them a call on Monday.

RC poster
    It' the 1800 KV, I glued the broken pieces of magnet back on the rotor and ran it at low speed and seemed fine with the new bearings so I feel it is worth trying to fix. Thanks for the advice!

RC Qualifier
    I have one in the market place if your interested! Mine has been going strong. Did you have a thrust bearing on yours?
    PM for info.....