First Impressions

So after only one flight I cant believe how impressive this little bird is. I was doing flips in my bedroom with in minutes but quickly realized I wanted to take it outside in the dark. I thought I was an over night expert outside until my kid who actually knows how to fly got his hands on the remote. He made this thing look unbelievably amazing. Before the pack was done half the neighborhood was outside owing and awing
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

I would have done that too except a.) it's 3 hours later here; and b.) it's all of 3F here and getting colder.
    Get some video next time, Dad.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

I will have to see about getting some videos of my son flying it , he is such a better pilot than I am and can really fly the Alias to show off better what it can do.

I am lucky have a huge LHS practically next door to where I live and having my son as a long time employee there. Half way into my first fight outside my son convinced me I wanted to change the colored lens on the Alias to make it more visible and he was off to the LHS to get some Green lens and extra batteries Now my Alias has Green lights up front and Blue in the back.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    So after only one flight I cant believe how impressive this little bird is. I was doing flips in my bedroom with in minutes but quickly realized I wanted to take it outside in the dark. I thought I was an over night expert outside until my kid who actually knows how to fly got his hands on the remote. He made this thing look unbelievably amazing. Before the pack was done half the neighborhood was outside owing and awing
    Great to hear Dad. I am considering an Alias for myself and it is good to read a positive review.

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    I would have done that too except a.) it's 3 hours later here; and b.) it's all of 3F here and getting colder.
    Whaaa ...... "It's too cold here."

Take a drive 7 to 8 hours northwest and I'll show you cold! Maybe we could make a trip up to Pave's area .... now that is cold!!!!

Jeesh, I can still barely get mine to hover.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    Great to hear Dad. I am considering an Alias for myself and it is good to read a positive review.

Whaaa ...... "It's too cold here."

Take a drive 7 to 8 hours northwest and I'll show you cold! Maybe we could make a trip up to Pave's area .... now that is cold!!!!
    I know what you mean about the cold. I'm in FL and yesterday we had a cold front. It was 65 during the day and overnight it dropped into the 50s! But don't worry I found a bunch of winter clothes, the electric blanket, turned on the heat, and made hot chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    I'm right there with you. Having a hard time with direction and throttle on 1 stick.
    Getting there though. Haven't broken anything yet.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

Would have to guess this is your first t RC aircraft. It is kind of like learning to ride a bike for the first time. Seems really hard at first but once you get the hang of it then it seems easy. Compared to other aircraft I have owned or flown the Alias is a piece of cake to fly but capable enough to keep an experienced pilot smiling.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

It's technically my second, but the first one didn't stay in the air long because I kept destroying it (a park flyer). I'll get it eventually, though. Practice, practice, practice! It's still fun, even if I do keep landing it upside down...

RC poster
    Glad to see the moderators learning to fly this quad and enjoying it. Mine lost 2 motors the first weekend I had it. Appears that Traxxas is out of stock of there motors now. Hope to see them in stock soon as this is an expensive paper weight right now.

So it is pretty windy here today and there are some fairly strong wind gusts. I have seen the videos of the Alias fighting winds stronger than we have here today so decided to give it a try. Although the Alias is capable of fighting the wind it was just too unnerving to me to see the Alias caught in a wind gust and gaining altitude while I had the throttle stick pulled all the way back to zero throttle then the gust died and the Alais went into a free fall . Recovered from the fall brought it back in and called that a lesson learned for now. No more windy day flying until I become a better or more confident pilot.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

My Alias suffered it's first damage last night and it was 100% my fault. I decided to play with the radio programing and apparently had a brain cramp while doing it. I had the Alias hovering about 3' off the ground and hit Aux1
    and then gave it forward stick, it did the flip and as it came out of it I gave it a little throttle and then I kind of freaked out as it proceed to attempt two more flips. I goofed up the programming and had a triple flip programed to a button I thought was a single flip. It landed HARD on the rotors on concrete. The Alias still flew but it was all wobbly, both of the rear rotors were messed up pretty good but NO other damage. Replaced the two rear rotors and was flying perfectly again after I fixed my transmitter programing errors.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

Got mine, but a few minutes ago (missed the UPS guy on Friday :$#!!), and the baby lipo is charging as I type this... Man I am very exited over here since this is my very 1st flying R/C I will be reading the owners manual to see how I get this little guy of the ground safely

Will post pics later...
    "We know who you are"

Quote Originally Posted by He123321 View Post
    Got mine, but a few minutes ago (missed the UPS guy on Friday :$#!!), and the baby lipo is charging as I type this... Man I am very exited over here since this is my very 1st flying R/C I will be reading the owners manual to see how I get this little guy of the ground safely

Will post pics later...
    This is our fifth different model of small heli/quad and I can honestly say that it is the most fun. I believe that a lot of cold winter days and nights will be warmed from flying these little guys. I can't wait to customize mine just a little.

I've had 3-4 packs through mine and it is tough. I thought I'd experiment with expert. Nope, went back to beginner. I've flown the cheaper helis with no problem but this is a different feel. Good thing I have vaulted ceilings...though if it would ever get above 0 and into the 30s as they say maybe I'll head outside. Definitely will be out this summer and buying a couple extra packs. Though I could go to the FD and fly it around the heated apparatus bay.....
    The Super Derecho

I've found that I do much better in fast mode and I have even been doing flips and such in my living room! I still suck at flying, but at least I can keep it in the air for a bit now.

FWIW, I'm not sure if many Alias pilots know this, but the Flight Mode Settings can be customized to speed up or slow down the action. The instructions are found here:
    http://latrax.com/pdfs/6608-Alias-Customizing-Flight-Mode-Settings.pdf
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-10-2014 at 11:39 AM. Reason: spelling

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

RC Qualifier
    Its too dang cold in MN to take it outside, so the first time I really got a chance to take advantage of it was in the school gym. So much fun to really open it up. The things dang fast too! On intermediate it pitches enough to get itself across the gym in like a second! Cant wait to get good enough to fly it in Expert mode.

Kinda too big for my current skill level to fly inside lol. I took out the angel in a relatives nativity scene the first night, although I'm pretty sure I can avoid a situation like that now.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by VGP12 View Post
    Its too dang cold in MN to take it outside, so the first time I really got a chance to take advantage of it was in the school gym. So much fun to really open it up. The things dang fast too! On intermediate it pitches enough to get itself across the gym in like a second! Cant wait to get good enough to fly it in Expert mode.

Kinda too big for my current skill level to fly inside lol. I took out the angel in a relatives nativity scene the first night, although I'm pretty sure I can avoid a situation like that now.
    I even found an indoor gym to be too small for the Alias... The Alias wants to have room to fly! Like a soccer field...

Well, after many, many packs, I can truly say that fly any type of r/c is not for me, lol... I am having a blast with this little guy, and the living room walls show signs of it. This little guy is very tough, and it has been proven with all the slams/crashes against the walls, ceiling, and floor. All the abuse is a result of my non having flying skills, and I am not ashamed of admitting it.

All I need is some decent weather to take it outside, and I hope soon.
    "We know who you are"

RC Racer
    Just make sure you kill the throttle when you hit something... Will minimize damage..

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry1234 View Post
    Just make sure you kill the throttle when you hit something... Will minimize damage..
    Now they tell me Yeah, that is why I am no longer flying it inside of the house. My wife is going to kill me...
    "We know who you are"

RC Racer
    OK..................Now that was fun! My new motor came in today! I was so excited to use it again! I only got to use it one day. Of course I put it on and tested it out. 2 battery packs and i'm back to loving this quad. Well done La trax!
    MERV, Broken Alias.