Thread: My 4x4 Slash

RC Racer

My 4x4 Slash

Ok so gonna keep all mquestions and info on my slash 4x4 in here. feel free to delete the other threads

so did my first run just now, lasted about12-14min, is that normal from a 3000mah battery?

Instead of washing it with water, can I se a small air compressor?

Whats a reasonable quick battery charger? And would you recommend 2s lipo? if so anyone found a bundle deal that comes with a charger and 2 batteries, found one but looking for other options. Emailed a few other hobby sites to see if they would do a bundle for me. Also not sure if this will be an issue but i do live in canada and i know traxxas doesnt ship here, hence y my gift was bought at a big box store .

As for the maintenance, check everything and make it as clean as i can. oanything else?

What are the best/easiest mods to do that will help make things stronger and all around better. which site do you recommend has the best parts selection and pricing, as again traxxas doesnt ship here..

Thank you

RC Champion
    I hate and don't run in water I use an air compressor to blow off dirt and stuff. 2S would be a good start 5000 mah. king Headz motor mount and aluminum adapter for slipper. get a good temp gun (not expensive) to monitor motor temps 170 MAX. Best to upgrade what breaks unless money is no object. Aftermarket parts are plentifull and add up FAST.

RC Qualifier
    ^^^Add up fast is right. My truck is almost double its MSRP right now not counting all the tools I bought to help me work on it (multi-meter, precision hexes, charger, soldering station, bigger house etc) so really watch yourself.

Traxxas makes a 5800MAH 25c 2S that you can toss in and use no problem after setting the ESC to lipo mode, anything larger doesn't fit the stock tray. The 6AMP EZ-Peak plus is basically a noob-proof charger if you read the instructions and will work with many more batteries down the line even for other RCs. LiPo is a really good investment and one of the best ways to transform your truck. Expect 30min run-times with fairly consistent power, and more overall performance.

For general durability, I will forever shill for RPM. A-Arms first then bumpers if you want, then Front/rear carriers and shock towers if you driver like a maniac(me), and remember to use the white body washers under your body clips to protect against punctures when the body flexes... learned that the hard way. If you roll a lot consider the shoe-goo and fiber glass mesh tape method (easy to google) to preserve the body, and add some good quality tape (like gorilla) to the fenders where the wheels rub on hard landings to protect against wear through there.

I know you're in Canada, so GreatHobbies is basically what you're stuck with if you want reasonable shipping (especially with batteries) or the LHS route if you don't mind waiting. If you go wet make sure to coat bearings and screws and other non-stainless metal components with ACF50 prior to getting it wet, and recheck shortly after the run. Been rust free all winter save for some screws I neglected by accident.
    Last edited by LtZerge; 01-03-2014 at 09:08 PM.

RC Racer
    ya i will check out great hobbies, might lean towards spc batteries maybe, not sure yet on the charger just trying to get some kind of a deal if i can. As i know things can add up

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by yotes86 View Post
    ya i will check out great hobbies, might lean towards spc batteries maybe, not sure yet on the charger just trying to get some kind of a deal if i can. As i know things can add up
    Check your PM.

RC Qualifier
    If you find a good deal on another Canadian Hobby Store online, Great Hobbies will match it. I bought a MM2 ESC from Hobby Hobby for $152, and to make a long story they screwed up ULTIMATELY. I eventually canceled my order from Hobby Hobby, but I had an email showing the price Hobby Hobby gave me and Great Hobbies not only matched it, but they gave me an extra $5 off. I will now only deal with Great Hobbies, when buying from a Canadian Hobby Store. SPC are AWESOME Lipos. But be warned that when UPS delivers them there will be a "Brokerage Fee" from UPS. I just bought a 5000mah 50C 3S lipo, it was $78 Canadian for battery and shipping. Then when UPS delivered it there was a $13 fee that I had to pay upon signing for delivery.

More advice on the charger, if you plan on being in this hobby a while spend a bit more and get a quality charger. One that will meet your needs for years to come. It will seem like it's more expensive, but if in a year or so you have to buy another charger. Is it really more expensive? Let's say you find one for $100 right now, then in 2 years you have to buy another one for $200. So combined you have spent $300, but if you spend $200 today but you can use that charger for 5 years you have just saved yourself $100 in the long run. I didn't do this and now I have $100 less I could have spent in other upgrades. LOL. And don't forget to have fun.

There's my $0.02.

+1 on Great Hobbies
    +1 on SPC Lipos
    Last edited by summitbasher240; 01-03-2014 at 10:23 PM.

RC Racer
    pm replied.

I did a quick check on their site, found some stuff for the slash. is there an aluminum front and rear bumper? All i found was plastic repacements.

Also, what kind of tires options are there for the slash, Bigger tires for more off road?

RC Champion
    pm replied.

I did a quick check on their site, found some stuff for the slash. is there an aluminum front and rear bumper? All i found was plastic repacements.

Also, what kind of tires options are there for the slash, Bigger tires for more off road?
    You don't need bigger unless thats the way you want to go look at Pro-Line trencher-X or Badlands. I bash the Trencher-X on their split six bead locks and love em. the Badlands are even more aggressive.

RC Competitor
    Try not to go aluminum except for maybe skid plates. Aluminum can bent easier than you think and not be bent back. Plastic flexes on impact and won't break as easy. Kind of like a trampoline.
    RPM parts are great because they are just that much more stronger and less flimsy. Plus they have multiple colors @_@

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

RC Racer
    if parts arent stated as aluminum are they just an upgraded more durable plastic ?

Let me clarify. The aluminum parts that come on the Ultimate edition are all excellent parts. Aluminum is not the best things for a arms and shock towers are iffy but I like the aluminum upgrades. Which model did you buy? Standard, Platinum or Ultimate? That will help us to better help you.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE= Is it really more expensive? Let's say you find one for $100 right now, then in 2 years you have to buy another one for $200. So combined you have spent $300, but if you spend $200 today but you can use that charger for 5 years you have just saved yourself $100 in the long run. I didn't do this and now I have $100 less I could have spent in other upgrades. LOL. And don't forget to have fun.= [/QUOTE]

Agreee 100%

RC Racer
    its a stock slash 4x4. It was a gift so i didnt get to choose, plus locally no one had the ultimate. I think soon im going to get a 2s lipo battery maybe get two of them and a ez plus quick charger.

As for the mods, im not sure what to do off the top. I get a bit confused when i read to replace the a arms and other parts, I just presumed i would be removing plastic and replacing it with aluminum. So the stock plastic a arms arent made as well as the after market ones? How can you tell if a part is a stock replacement or aftermarket?

Remember for online greathobbies.com is probably my site of choice for ease of shipping. Or ebay I have never had an issue from their, but never ordered electronics or rc parts etc

RC Qualifier
    Stock traxxas plastic is sort of too rigid to take tough bashing for too long. I'm sort of confused by what you mean by aftermarket difference? only traxxas makes their specific construction of parts, any other brand made to work on the slash will have some differences in construction style. There's a very noticeable difference between stock plastic and RPM plastic. RPM plastic is soft but uses a very "elasticy" polymer, meaning it flexes very well on impact instead of snaps, then bounces back into shape. Always avoid aluminum on places where impact flex is needed because force has to go somewhere, and not letting things like the A-Arms flex will lead to extra stress on the driveline.

Aluminum is for places that need to deal with the possibility of heat stress or to reinforce areas you want to stabalize. On that note, the most common upgrades in aluminum are the motor plate, motor mount, steering blocks and front/rear carriers. The ultimate comes with the blocks and carriers in aluminum already. The best aluminum motor mount is the kingheadz and a metal bearing adapter for it. When that center motor mount bearing goes, and it will, the plastic mount can melt down and really wreak havoc on the truck. It also helps absorb heat from the driveline and motor to some extent.

RC Racer
    ok thanks for the good info. i will try to find some of those parts on greathobby website. This is just a whole new ball game for me so gonna take some time to get use to all the parts and then trying to replace them on the vehicle, havent even looked at that yet, just want to enjoy a couple runs with the rig then get more in depth

ltzerge: you in kelowna?

RC Qualifier
    Yep, you made a greeting thread "Slash owners in Canada" I mentioned where I was in a post.

And we're always happy to help. I started in early October and I've been neck-deep in this truck since.

RC Racer
    ya i definitely like your idea of the overtray, although i find greathobbies a very hard site to find specific things. i checked out horizon but they were back ordered.

also tried to find that dusty motors cover with no success so far. where do you take your slash around here?

RC Racer
    ok thanks for the good info. i will try to find some of those parts on greathobby website. This is just a whole new ball game for me so gonna take some time to get use to all the parts and then trying to replace them on the vehicle, havent even looked at that yet, just want to enjoy a couple runs with the rig then get more in depth

ltzerge: you in kelowna?
    Im in K town too

RC Qualifier
    Dusty Motors cover can be had from Ebay, they sell out of Lithuania. Look for Dusty_Motors.

There's a ton of good spots to bash around kelowna. I have a large-ish yard with a raised driveway I use as a jump, a long straight stretch of road with low traffic for speed runs, and the 1/10th scale off road RC track across the street. There's a BMX track by the Rutland YMCA although it's a bit large and abusive for the vehicle, and there's also a cool bike skill park by the greenway at 1960 hollywood south with a lot of jumps and banks and general fun to be had. There's also the ben lee skate park which has some mild ramps and a nice 'peanut' bowl. And of course, dirt piles in empty lots. No shortage of dirt piles in empty lots around kelowna. list goes on and on

RC Racer
    ya i definitely like your idea of the overtray, although i find greathobbies a very hard site to find specific things. i checked out horizon but they were back ordered.

also tried to find that dusty motors cover with no success so far. where do you take your slash around here?
    I would try ordering off ebay.ca . And see if you can find dusty motors or an overtray. I saw at ABC they had one but idk if it is still there. Also I usually take my slash to skate parks or I have 2 fields that are like a 30 second walk and then I can bash it hard. I always wanted to try black mountain school because there field has a lot of hills which are great for launching the slash into the air. Also I got my slash last December so its been a year ever since ive owned my slash.

RC Racer
    Dusty motors cover is good fit to LCG chassis. I order in ebay but the seller is from lithunia it takes 2-3 weeks. Also i got in liquid rc but is not fit LCG chassis and i returned it.

Quote Originally Posted by SlashBasher308 View Post
    I would try ordering off ebay.ca . And see if you can find dusty motors or an overtray. I saw at ABC they had one but idk if it is still there. Also I usually take my slash to skate parks or I have 2 fields that are like a 30 second walk and then I can bash it hard. I always wanted to try black mountain school because there field has a lot of hills which are great for launching the slash into the air. Also I got my slash last December so its been a year ever since ive owned my slash.

RC Racer
    ya i found em at leadingedehobbies out of stock of the black, but might just get the blue as any changes i make are getting swapped with blue parts anyway

* ordered from ebay
    Last edited by yotes86; 01-04-2014 at 04:05 PM.

RC Racer
    just ordered a traxxas ez peak plus charger

now just need to find 2 lipo batteries

RC Racer
    got (2) 2s spc lipo 5000mah ordered too

RC Racer
    got (2) 2s spc lipo 5000mah ordered too
    how much and what brand?

RC Racer
    spc shipped was 100$

RC Racer
    does anyone who owns a slash 4x4 have a vg racing roll cage? Do you think it will bend or brake or will it be a good investment.

Definitely looking into them, free shipping i believe too over anything over 50 bucks and they cost around 65$

how do they mount and was it a good purchase if u have it

RC Qualifier
    The VG racing stuff is pretty good quality. The only thing I've had issue with is the simple fact they're hand-made and come with the inconsistency that can entail. My VG-Racing chassis brace required some grinding and bending to properly fit my LCG like it's suppose to, but once that was done the material and welds are actually quite strong.

The irony of the roll cage is it actually raises the center-of-gravity and leads to more roll overs/lid landings, raising the occurrence of the thing it's trying to protect against. How that trade-off works will depend who you ask

RC Racer
    Try this one they have a good products and also 2 yrs warranty
    http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...product_id=170
    how much and what brand?

RC Racer
    does the sm 1 motor work in a slash? what kind of speeds can be expected from them, do you know?

RC Qualifier
    how much and what brand?
    The brand is spc or spec point concepts and that's the best deal out SMCs are ok I guess I personally have spc 3s 40c 4300mah battery with at least 10 runs on it and it's good so far.

RC Racer
    ya im definetly looking at the alum motor mount and motor plate. aswell as a arms and front and rear carriers, just gotta see how they all come off etc.

and a metal bearing or slipper bearing??

RC Racer
    anyone done 1/8 buggy shocks in their slash, saw it on someones here on the site, looks good, is it an easy bolt it or is there mods needed?

RC Racer
    ordered up front and rear rpm a arms(blue)

slipper bearing (king headz)

engine adaptor mount (king headz)

possibly looking into getting larger tires, whos running a larger tire? use a lift? id prefer no lift just larger tire, may have to cut body a bit to make em fit?

RC Racer
    well got my dusty motors cover... its a lcg tho, does anyone know if it will still fit?

got my a arms, pretty sure i installed them upside down, and using the stock tools its very frustrating guess i gotta swap em around.

also got my 2.8 trenchers and my peak plus charger and lipos. kinda screwed up remembering where each screw goes as some are longer than others, gonna swap the rear a arms around and see if that makes them fit better. just got excited and tore it apart and slapped the rpms in without looking how to do it...

back in a bit hopefully withbetter news!

RC Qualifier
    well got my dusty motors cover... its a lcg tho, does anyone know if it will still fit?

got my a arms, pretty sure i installed them upside down, and using the stock tools its very frustrating guess i gotta swap em around.

also got my 2.8 trenchers and my peak plus charger and lipos. kinda screwed up remembering where each screw goes as some are longer than others, gonna swap the rear a arms around and see if that makes them fit better. just got excited and tore it apart and slapped the rpms in without looking how to do it...

back in a bit hopefully withbetter news!
    I just ordered the dusty motors cover for my lcg earlier this week and I think they are different for the hcg because they have different ones for each on their website.

RC Racer
    i never saw that on the ad, !

Got the a arms installed finally, nothing like learning than doing things more than once or twice haha

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-23-2014 at 05:18 AM.