RC Racer

Suggestions on protecting my lipo battery.

I have a Onyx 3s lipo battery for my slash 4x4. I was thinking of wrapping it up in duct tape or electrical tape or even bubble wrap to keep the dirt out.

Any suggestions on how to protect the lipo from getting dirt inside?

RC Qualifier
    I think you can plastidip them... they will be sealed that way! And Welcome to the forum!!!
    Summit RX8/1550kv-Slash4x4 MM2/2400kv Twin-V Merv.

RC Qualifier
    There are many good ways to protect your lipo. Like Boilo56 said, spray on plastidip works great, couple coatings of that and you'll be good. Though it does scratch off easily so I stopped doing this to my lipos.

Wrapping them carefully in electrical tape works also, I've done this to a few of my lipos in the past, but stopped because its difficult to warranty a battery if necessary.

Then there is placing the lipo in a bread bag and using some zip ties to secure it around the wires. This is the way I do it when I know my truck will be swimming. Never had an issue so far, bread bags are thick, and designed to prevent cross contamination. They work great.
    however.
    My new favorite way is using one of those plastic wraps with a handle designed for packaging; works great, cheap, and easily removable. Though it does take a bit longer then the bread bag.
    Last edited by Finkledbody; 01-03-2014 at 05:12 PM.

RC Racer
    Thank you, Finkledbody. Glad to know I don;t have to spend a lot of money for this upgrade.

RC Qualifier
    Or I have heard of people putting them in a balloon and zip tying the opening. But that's a one time use method.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Finkledbody View Post
    There are many good ways to protect your lipo. Like Boilo56 said, spray on plastidip works great, couple coatings of that and you'll be good. Though it does scratch off easily so I stopped doing this to my lipos.

Wrapping them carefully in electrical tape works also, I've done this to a few of my lipos in the past, but stopped because its difficult to warranty a battery if necessary.

Then there is placing the lipo in a bread bag and using some zip ties to secure it around the wires. This is the way I do it when I know my truck will be swimming. Never had an issue so far, bread bags are thick, and designed to prevent cross contamination. They work great.
    however.
    My new favorite way is using one of those plastic wraps with a handle designed for packaging; works great, cheap, and easily removable. Though it does take a bit longer then the bread bag.
    Great Idea man I never thought of that. Can you charge the lipo while its in the bag also???
    Keep Calm and Bash On

RC Racer
    Back in the days before waterproof electronics I used, umm, prophylactics to keep things sealed up. Non lubricated of course. I have that same lipo pack and thought about trying it but that might be a bit of a ... stretch.
    I like to pretend I know what I'm talking about.

RC Qualifier
    I don't think I would leave the lipo in a bag while charging, because sometimes they get warm when charging. I wouldn't want to risk ruining a lipo because I tried to save a bread bag. But that's just my opinion.

When you say prophylactic, you mean condom? I'm sorry but I had to look it up to figure out what it was. LOL. Same concept of using a balloon.
    Last edited by summitbasher240; 01-06-2014 at 09:29 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    Back in the days before waterproof electronics I used, umm, prophylactics to keep things sealed up. Non lubricated of course. I have that same lipo pack and thought about trying it but that might be a bit of a ... stretch.
    Lol nothing to say here
    Keep Calm and Bash On

RC Racer
    Yep, same concept just not as funny.
    I like to pretend I know what I'm talking about.

RC Qualifier
    Nope, not as funny is true!!

RC Competitor
    Think I would use Leading Edge Tape, sometimes called Helicopter Tape.
    Its tough stuff used to protect the leading edges of 1:1 heli rotors.

RC Qualifier
    Ive been using the same bread for 3 months now. I just cut the zip tie and remove the lipo from the bag to charge it. Zip ties are very cheap and easily replaceable so I don't think twice about this.