Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

Slash owners in Canada

Hey who all is from canada on here? Im from the okanagan in BC.

Anyone close by?

RC Qualifier
    Hey, I'm from... wait, where in the Okanagan? I'm from Kelowna

RC Racer
    HEY SAME HERE!!!!!!!! You guys bashers??

RC Racer
    West Kelowna or westbank what ever u wanna call it

RC Enthusiast
    Im over in Armstrong

RC Competitor
    Toronto here!!
    Build it tune it race it break it fix it, repeat

RC Champion
    Saskatoon, but I'm from Victoria.

RC Racer
    k town aswell. where do you go for local parts, i refuse to go to abc hobby, is there not another hobby place in town?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by yotes86 View Post
    k town aswell. where do you go for local parts, i refuse to go to abc hobby, is there not another hobby place in town?
    Kelowna Speedway & Hobby. They're pretty good there, the store is extremely generalized so it can be hard to find some stuff in stock. They have to make room for the figures and comic books and models and etc. Any reason you avoid ABC hobby?

RC Racer
    was not treated fairly, lets just keep it at that, dont want to say more than that.

does kelowna hobby have decent prices, and usually have stuff in stock or does it need to be ordered?

sounds like you go to abc?

RC Racer
    Man I love abc. Just ordered some parts. I wil never go to Kelowna hobby and speed . All they do is stand around and don't ask you if you need help ( that's because im 16)and Kelowna hobby and speed were really rude. But I love abc it depends whos working if west and the owner ( forget his name) are working there they are the best in my opinion . Very organized and know there stuff And I just bought some stuff to I cant wait till my parts come in .

RC Racer
    was not treated fairly, lets just keep it at that, dont want to say more than that.

does kelowna hobby have decent prices, and usually have stuff in stock or does it need to be ordered?

sounds like you go to abc?
    I think they are the same. and I think they both have to order and a little bit of stock like rpm a arms.

RC Racer
    i got your experience that you had at kelowna hobby when i was at abc. Was treated poorly by the owner and im almost 30 so theres no need for that crap to happen.

RC Qualifier
    I was helped fairly equally well by both but then again I'm incredibly happy-go-lucky all the time and try to know what I'm talking about a bit before asking a bunch of questions. Something interesting to keep in mind is the store's affiliations. ABC's owner is a KORC (air craft flying) member and KS&H's owner is with ROCK (land based racing). Talk with them and it's pretty evident where their expertise is. I'm not with either but ROCK's track is right across the street from me and they let me use it during off days.

I agree KS&H seems to assume you know why you're there, they'll leave you to browse unless you're looking obviously clueless. ABC is much quicker to jump in, sometimes shortly after walking in the door... Both use similar dealers and both are primarily Horizon Hobby dealers, and both operate on a standard 4 week shipping cycle for most products.

RC Racer
    Ya .You know what I think ( just my opinion) is that ABC and Kelowna hobby have there up and downs. They are quiet mean when you don't know what you are talking about ( in my expreriance) but the guys " really take there hobby seriously" and I don't think they have much social skills and that can affect your first impression. All I know is once you choose a LHS and keep on going and purchasing stuff they come out of there shell and warm up to you then they are kind to u . But all in all they all know there stuff.

RC Racer
    Ya that shouldn't happen
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 01-04-2014 at 08:44 AM.

RC Racer
    oh for sure, but retail is their business, and customer service is priority 1. They should be accustome to dealing with people with little to no experience. And want to help you.

Funny thing is I thought the help would be alot better at a local hobby store, but in reality when my gf was going around looking she got the best service from people at best buy and eventually future shop where she bought the slash.

I will have to check out kelowna hobby eventually. Couple more tame runs arround my house and then maybe take it out to the forest and play in the dirt(if it doesnt snow or isnt pure mud up there)

RC Racer
    oh for sure, but retail is their business, and customer service is priority 1. They should be accustome to dealing with people with little to no experience. And want to help you.

Funny thing is I thought the help would be alot better at a local hobby store, but in reality when my gf was going around looking she got the best service from people at best buy and eventually future shop where she bought the slash.

I will have to check out kelowna hobby eventually. Couple more tame runs arround my house and then maybe take it out to the forest and play in the dirt(if it doesnt snow or isnt pure mud up there)
    Ya I bought my slash 4x4 at future shop.

RC Racer
    where do ppl in kelowna take their slash? Anyone know if someone local carries the overtray? Does the overtray increase engine temps at all since its kind of enclosed, or so it would look like the motor and electronics look sealed in

RC poster
    Checking in from Penticton. Cool to see so many local enthusiasts!

We actually have a pretty good LHS, ATD Hobbies here in town. Super helpful, knowledgeable and the owners are enthusiasts themselves. We've also got an indoor off-road track down here near Okanagan Falls (http://www.pentictonrc.ca/Off-Road.page). I've never actually been, as they are closed during the winter and I just got my Slash 4x4 in November.

RC Racer
    right on that sounds pretty cool. how do you like your slash? done anything to it yet?

RC poster
    I've just got the basic Slash 4x4 with Velineon VXL-3s power.

Venom 40C 2s battery, sway bars, aluminum slipper clutch bearing mount, 50W oil in the front shocks, 60W oil in the rear shocks, and a bunch of suspension tuning. I actually don't want to modify it at all, it's tons of fun as is. I'd like to race stock class if I can so I'm aiming to set up the truck for that.

IMG_3604 by THE EDJ, on Flickr

RC Racer
    very nice, have the exact same truck! do you hAVE any idea on what speeds your getting with the 2s battery upgrade?

RC poster
    No idea to be honest. Traxxas says I should be getting 30+ MPH with that setup and the out of the box pinion. I tried the 18T pinion, but I didn't really care for it for everyday use; you lose a lot of torque (aka fun).

RC Racer
    did you get your parts from local hobby shop or a certain online website?

RC poster
    LHS has a good stock of Traxxas parts and aftermarket as well. Prices are actually quite good too, comparable to a lot of online retailers.

RC Racer
    anyone in kelowna ever met up to work on their rc or help others?

RC Qualifier
    There are several RC clubs in the kelowna area that do that, just look them up. As for private meetings/sessions, well you now know there's a few people in the area on the forum you can shoot some PMs to.

RC Racer
    ya dont wanna get super involved into a club, but just wrench on the mini vehicles, like guys do on there trucks and cars, just just a thought. probly not the time of year to do it unless you got a garage or basement, i just got a carport...

RC Qualifier
    I lucked out in that way, recently my grandmother let me take over the old basement suite. Half the semi large living room is tools and the work bench.

RC Racer
    right on cant complain about that!! you been in kelowna long? where you live, im near the college

RC Qualifier
    As mentioned I'm across from the ROCK offroad track, so I'm out in the Morrison area. Been here for about 16 years. Odds are pretty good if you come down the road just after 4pm during weekdays you'll see a blue/yellow slash flying around. I have a weird habit of messing with people's dogs while they're trying to walk them

RC Racer
    LOL. Hey mabey when It snows a lot we can go for a snow bash . If u guys want . But I have school mon - fri 9-4 plus work on weekends Man I wish there was a rc club ( bashing or racing but im a basher ) in the west bank or even the Kelowna area . Ive ben looking on the internet but all I see is the air plane clubs.
    Keep Calm and Bash On

RC Qualifier
    And here I thought I mentioned ROCK racing several times

RC Qualifier
    Tried that "snow bashing" thing in the fresh powder. Didn't last very long until the LVC started tripping up, too much load I guess. Motor got to 110f by the time I decided I should stop. Battery sitting at 11.45v. Truck's thawing in the sink, lol. I admire the people who get their truck to handle massive damp snow o_o

RC Racer
    maybe they have an under and over tray? ive thought about getting either or both of those but i got a dusty motors cover to keep debris out.

RC Enthusiast
    Courtice Ontario here

RC Racer
    anyone local use 2s lipos? I just got 2, never used still in box, but now im contemplating just staying with nihm batteries. Would anyone be interested in buying the pair ? Also the whole lipo process and how to charge and not over charge and cause a fire and stuff. i dont know just sounds complicated i f u dont use them enough or store them right. a nihm sounds alot easier to use. I just want longer run times, which i think a 5000mah nihm would do over the 3000.

RC Competitor

Slash owners in Canada

Hey I'm also in Courtice!!!

anyone local use 2s lipos? I just got 2, never used still in box, but now im contemplating just staying with nihm batteries. Would anyone be interested in buying the pair ? Also the whole lipo process and how to charge and not over charge and cause a fire and stuff. i dont know just sounds complicated i f u dont use them enough or store them right. a nihm sounds alot easier to use. I just want longer run times, which i think a 5000mah nihm would do over the 3000.
    As for the 2s lipos yotes where are you located?
    Build it tune it race it break it fix it, repeat

RC Racer
    kelowna bc. could ship i guess just no idea on cost. buyer would need to pay that