RC Enthusiast

Rally 1/10 is our 1st RC... so I need help

Got this for my 10 year old for Christmas. He is enjoying driving it on the street for now. We have lots of open space for this. We also have bike trails right behind out house, but we have not tried yet.

The LCG is hard to roll, in fact we haven't yet. We are just using Nimh's for now while he learns. The only upgrade so far is the Slash sway bars. We put stiff on front and lower stiffness on rear. Does this sound correct?

We do have a problem going through grass and I have heard that grass is almost the last place you want to drive a rc. (???)

I am thinking of changing the shocks so that the springs can be adjusted easier. I am afraid it is not setup for jumping yet. It bottoms out just coming off the curb. The shocks seem soft, but this is what I have read. Soft equals better traction and handling but as the shocks get stiffer you lose the two. TRUE??

Looking at 4 models for shock replacements:
    Losi 10-T ... Traxxas GTR.... Traxxas XO1 .... Pro line Pro Spec

Price is not a concern unless they really don't give you your $$'s worth. Don't want to overspend.

I would like to keep the car versatile. Or do I need to have separate parts for optimal street and optimal dirt/jumping?

I know the tires are not the best on the street, so I am looking for street tires also. Would like BBS style wheels and Badidos. (?)

Thanks

For shocks, I can tell you that in my experience the Traxxas GTR and the Proline PowerStrokes are both an excellent choice for shocks. I have ran both and am happy with them. For street tires you are right on the money when you say Duratrax Bandito's. I did a review on them and the pictures speak for themselves.

Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of this Traxxas! If you have questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Enthusiast

sizing up tires/wheels

Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    For shocks, I can tell you that in my experience the Traxxas GTR and the Proline PowerStrokes are both an excellent choice for shocks. I have ran both and am happy with them. For street tires you are right on the money when you say Duratrax Bandito's. I did a review on them and the pictures speak for themselves.

Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of this Traxxas! If you have questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help.

Can you tell me the difference between C2 and C3 treads on the Bandito's? Finally found answer, one is softer than the other. All I kept seeing is both were soft. Now which one do I need?

Also I do not know how to buy wheels and tires separately and make sure they fit Traxxas Rally. What size/shape wheels do I look for to match the Banditos? Can any one point me to a street racing rim for them and Rally? Blue or chrome?
    Thanks
    Last edited by landonspop; 01-03-2014 at 12:30 AM. Reason: spelling and got 1 answer

RC Qualifier
    Im currently running the proline powerstrokes on my 4x4. They are pretty decent shocks but do have problems when you start weighing the truck down with heavier components. Their travel seems pretty impressive at first but do lack when compared to the proline pro-spec. My friend recently upgraded to them, much more simple design to work on and maintain. Shock travel has been greatly increased with the pro-spec but they do require a much heavier shock fluid.

I'll be replacing my powerstrokes in the coming weeks with the pro-spec, thats how good they are.

RC Enthusiast
    On pavement our car looks like a car with slicks on ice. Is this the tires? All is still stock except sway bars.

Would a chassis brace or roll cage help?

RC Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by landonspop View Post
    Can you tell me the difference between C2 and C3 treads on the Bandito's? Finally found answer, one is softer than the other. All I kept seeing is both were soft. Now which one do I need?

Also I do not know how to buy wheels and tires separately and make sure they fit Traxxas Rally. What size/shape wheels do I look for to match the Banditos? Can any one point me to a street racing rim for them and Rally? Blue or chrome?
    Thanks
    I recommend the C2 compound. I have gotten incredible tred life and the performance is excellent! I have never used the C3 compound because there is no need to bother trying.

RC Enthusiast
    Can I get help here?

RC Qualifier
    I would say they will fit.
    Summit RX8/1550kv-Slash4x4 MM2/2400kv Twin-V Merv.

RC Enthusiast
    They say driving in the grass is bad because it could hold the truck back/make it work extra hard. It could heat up the electronics
    *REVO33
    *EREVOVXL
    *SLASH4X4
    *STAMPEDE
    *JATO33

RC Qualifier
    Can I get help here?
    yes they will fit with no modifications.

RC Enthusiast
    I would like to keep the car versatile. Or do I need to have separate parts for optimal street and optimal dirt/jumping?

RC Qualifier

Okay so when you say optimal street performance what do you mean? it really all depends on the driver, Do you want a cornering machine, a speed demon, a drift king or what are you looking for in street performance. Off road also how do you want it? A jump machine, a grip machine , a off-road bash machine. Just let us know so we can direct you to the parts or what you need.

RC Enthusiast
    Blacktop is the road condition mostly used so far. Might have oil on surface.

I was hoping that wheels and tires would be the major change from one type of driving to another. Then I was hoping to have 1 set of shocks that could have the spring tension changed easily and accordingly to type of driving, plus oil changes if needed.

For street, my sons like to watch it slide on every turn and do donuts as is. I would like him to learn to drive it. So probably corning and traction to go forward. The stock wheels and tires help him drift somewhat, so we have that option or a pair of drifter slip-ons. I was hoping the Banditos fix this issue. Was hoping for a street looking (to truck) wheels for them, BBS style would be fav.

We have not encountered dirt so much yet so not sure here. We do have bike trails behind us so when the weather gets better I know he wants to try that out. I can hold off on parts for this now, but want to keep it mind as I go forward.

Eventually I would like him to go to the dirt racetrack here in San Antonio, when he gets better.

If bashing = breaking .. this is not my goal.

I get confused on some parts as not many say they are for the Rally. Many say they are for Slash 4x4 which I was told most work for both, but LCG vs HCG confuses me still. Wouldn't shocks lengths be different for each?

The tire / wheel configurations also are confusing, but slowly learning. LHS does not have a lot of choices for these. I think I need 2.2-3 .. 12mm wheels or I could convert to 17mm wheels like for buggies. I probably want to stay 12mm for quick easy changes. I have seen some 2.2-3" wheels that say they only work with their tires(IE proline).

Please ask more questions if needed. I hope I am in the right direction. Again stock batts only... slower gear for now.
    Last edited by landonspop; 01-06-2014 at 09:52 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I have read the stiffer I make it, the less traction I will get.. True??

I have read the stiffer I make it, the less traction I will get.. True??
    I don't understand what you mean by your previous entry. Stiff and traction is a very open ended statement

RC Qualifier
    I don't understand what you mean by your previous entry. Stiff and traction is a very open ended statement
    If I read correctly I believe he just wants a setup that will work great on road and off road. I haven't messed with shocks that much. Maybe you could help him out a bit more than me El Sob.

For BBS wheels wheels you would typically see on a wrx sti, s15, civic si, and other tuners like that? I would say try OFNA Wheels.

RC Enthusiast
    I read:
    Shock Oil determines the damping of your car. Heavy Oil will make your car seem sluggish. Lighter weight Oil will make your car seem more responsive. As a general rule, lighter Oil is better for bumpy conditions, but allows more chassis roll. Heavier Oil is better for smooth tracks, but decreases responsiveness.

The purpose of the Springs is to keep the car level during acceleration, deceleration, and cornering. Generally, stiffer Springs make your car respond quicker and reduce chassis roll, but will not work well on bumpy tracks. Stiffer is better on smooth or high traction tracks. Softer Springs are better on slippery or bumpy tracks. You will normally run heavier Springs on the front than the rear.

I have light oil (stock) (30 I think) and I had a lot of body roll before anti sway bars added.

So it seems to me.... heavier oil would benefit me for the road (smooth), but at same time I would lose control of car. Not exactly sure what responsiveness means though, = control to me. But I could counter this with stiffer springs.

I was believing that I could have 2 sets of wheels and tires, 1 for road (Banditos) one for dirt (??? stock for now).
    Then I would add different oil strengths/springs to match the condition.

Forget dirt for now. What is the best setup for the rally on pavement replacing as few parts as possible and just tinkering with supplied parts. I am planning on replacing shocks, but need a little more education before I start buying the wrong hop ups. The car drives like a car on ice as is. Would tires alone make a big difference? Would aluminum (heavy) wheels help over plastic? Would heavier oil help? Stiffer springs?
    Last edited by landonspop; 01-08-2014 at 11:29 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RallyX3s View Post
    If I read correctly I believe he just wants a setup that will work great on road and off road. I haven't messed with shocks that much. Maybe you could help him out a bit more than me El Sob.

For BBS wheels wheels you would typically see on a wrx sti, s15, civic si, and other tuners like that? I would say try OFNA Wheels.
    The ofna wheels look right, but I think I would need buggy tires for them. Buggy tires are a little taller than stock tires. Is this ok?

RC Qualifier
    I read:
    Shock Oil determines the damping of your car. Heavy Oil will make your car seem sluggish. Lighter weight Oil will make your car seem more responsive. As a general rule, lighter Oil is better for bumpy conditions, but allows more chassis roll. Heavier Oil is better for smooth tracks, but decreases responsiveness.

The purpose of the Springs is to keep the car level during acceleration, deceleration, and cornering. Generally, stiffer Springs make your car respond quicker and reduce chassis roll, but will not work well on bumpy tracks. Stiffer is better on smooth or high traction tracks. Softer Springs are better on slippery or bumpy tracks. You will normally run heavier Springs on the front than the rear.

I have light oil (stock) (30 I think) and I had a lot of body roll before anti sway bars added.

So it seems to me.... heavier oil would benefit me for the road (smooth), but at same time I would lose control of car. Not exactly sure what responsiveness means though, = control to me. But I could counter this with stiffer springs.

I was believing that I could have 2 sets of wheels and tires, 1 for road (Banditos) one for dirt (??? stock for now).

Forget dirt for now. What is the best setup for the rally on pavement replacing as few parts as possible and just tinkering with supplied parts. I am planning on replacing shocks, but need a little more education before I start buying the wrong hop ups. The car drives like a car on ice as is. Would tires alone make a big difference? Would aluminum (heavy) wheels help over plastic? Would heavier oil help? Stiffer springs?
    Well I have mine with stock shocks just with sway bars and on road wheels, and just with that I see great improvement. You cant also expect the car to turn on a dime going 25+ mph though. These cars drive like real cars. Almost the same rules apply, you could have under steer or over steer. shock oil will make your car a little less bouncy. I would say tinker with shock oil first experiment with a couple oil weights. I know probably the answer you weren't looking for but I could say put these oil wts in your shock and you could still not like them, it really all depends on the driver.

Also my tip would be first get a good set of street wheels (banditos If you want to keep the SC wheels) after that if you still don't like the way the car handles move onto the shocks. re position them to a lower mounting point that should help sitffen them up.
    Last edited by RallyX3s; 01-08-2014 at 11:47 AM.

RC Qualifier
    The ofna wheels look right, but I think I would need buggy tires for them. Buggy tires are a little taller than stock tires. Is this ok?
    to put on buggy wheels you need to buy the traxxas 17mm hub adapter. Buggy tires and rims are also generally cheaper than Short Course wheels, so It could save you money in the long run.

I bought these exact ones from this seller http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-17mm...item51b3464d09

and then these wheels from this seller http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-On-road-...item2ecd5d3198

which is about the same cost of buying banditos 2x20 is 40 plus the tire glue another 5 bucks and the extra set of rims another atleast 15 bucks.

and these are the OFNA wheels http://www.ofna.com/tires-rims.html

this isn't my car but this is what the OFNA wheels would look like in white

this is with the banditos
    Last edited by RallyX3s; 01-08-2014 at 12:07 PM.

I read:

Ok thanks for the clarification. I wasn't trying to be mean, I just didn't understand your meaning. In one of my trucks I have 80wt shock oil. It is a hcg Ultimate edition. It does pretty well on road and really doesn't roll much on stock tires. My lcg Ultimate edition has the stock shocks and oil and also does good. One main difference is the lcg leans with the corners and reacts with the road conditions. The hcg is stiff and it is almost predictable on when it will roll because it gets on two wheels when pushed close to it's limit. My best advice to you is trial and error. Get different weights and see what you like best.

I have aluminum beadlocks and they defiantly help keep the truck grounded and helps with traction under heavy acceleration.
    Last edited by El Sob; 01-08-2014 at 12:03 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Just let us know if you need anymore help.