RC poster

what tools do I need?

to handle common issues, replace parts, which toold will i need for the slash? metric hex drivers? will i need nut drivers? if so, what sizes? anything else?

RC Racer
    Met drivers and a pair of needle nose is what I got by with for some time. I've slowly bought good tools, but had some from past hobbies. As far as parts, it depends on your location. If you're near a hobby store, not much at first. I've replaced a arms, shock fluid, and axles. But, most if that was after running 3s lipos or changing electronics. These are pretty tuff little machines. If you do beak a part, do a quick google and see about upgrading that part.
    Have fun!

Sent using a tin can with a string connected
    Sl4sh with CC MMP 3800, 2 mervs, a 3905 BL eMaxx,

The Slash 4x4 utilizes three main wrenches. 1.5, 2.0 and 2.5mm size hex wrenches. You will need a 7.0mm wheel wrench to tighten the wheels.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC poster
    any place where you can buy individual metric hex wrenches and nut drivers? can't seem to find a set of either for what i need.

RC Racer
    Dynamite makes a decent set that I use, the only problem is the slipper feature will prevent proper tightening of nylocks, so keep the original wheel nut wrench and slipper adjuster. They're handy, durable, socket-wrench style rotation locked, and said slipper feature does help prevent over tightening. DYN2833/2834
    Last edited by LtZerge; 01-05-2014 at 03:31 PM.

RC Racer
    just looked up that set seems decent for sure.

RC Racer
    This thread got me thinking. Here are all the tools I have used on my Sl4sh and two P2des in the last two weeks:

Not pictured: canned air. Is that a tool or a cleaner?
    I like to pretend I know what I'm talking about.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    This thread got me thinking. Here are all the tools I have used on my Sl4sh and two P2des in the last two weeks:

Not pictured: canned air. Is that a tool or a cleaner?

pirate - what hex wrenches and nut drivers do you use the most on the slash? thanks

RC Racer
    I've pretty much disassembled and reassembled the whole thing at this point. See the loose Allen wrenches? Those came with the slash and they've all seen lots of use. The smallest gets the least use. I probably use the 2.0 and 2.5 the most.

You need the 4-way (comes with the Slash) for a 7mm nut driver, or a dedicated one, to take the wheels off. That sees a lot of use for me. I don't recall needing another nut driver on the 4wd Slash to date. The 2wd would need a smaller one to adjust the slipper, but you don't. You need an 8mm wrench on the 4WD. You also need a 4mm wrench to adjust the turnbuckles.

That's the Dynamite starter Traxxas kit on the left. I used my brother's and liked it overall. The ratcheting feature is wonky but for $20 it's a great set so I bought one too. It comes with a 5mm/8mm combo wrench so you need to add a 4mm to it if you get it.

The needle nose pliers are very helpful but I really love my curved forceps for picking up small screws, washers etc. I picked them up cheap at a flea market. I've also seen them at some tool stores.

Do you know how to adjust your gear mesh? You will need to acquire that skill. It's not hard with a little practice. Many people can do it by sound but until you get to that point keep some paper in your tool kit. Your manual details the process.
    I like to pretend I know what I'm talking about.