RC Enthusiast

TQi with multiple vehicles

I am currently building a drift car right and was hoping to save myself the cost of a new transmitter by using the TQi transmitter that came with my slash. I was wondering if i can bind my transmitter to two receivers without any problems?

I believe you can bind that radio to thirty different models! You will have no problem running two different models. Please post pictures of your build.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Champion
    ^^el sob nailed it! Post pics please!
    Slash 4x4 built from Proline RPM STRC TRX and MIP

RC Enthusiast
    thanks for the quick reply! the drift car isnt anything too crazy, its a tamiya . . .

Let's try to limit the conversation to Traxxas vehicles and/or products please. The discussion of non-Traxxas vehicles is not allowed here.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-02-2014 at 09:44 AM.

RC Racer
    Yes you can link to up to twenty receivers. I know that it will link to a 2218 RX because I had one in my blast boat that I was linked to. I am now using two 6518 rx's with one TQi tx. You have to make sure you lock the model before you link to a second rx. The lock procedure is in the menu tree.
    (2) Slash 4x4 HCG

RC Enthusiast
    Great! Thanks for the info

I'm going to have to ask that the conversation be limited to the discussion of Traxxas products and/or vehicles. The discussion of non-Traxxas vehicles is not permitted on these forums.

Moving thread to Traxxas Radios sub-forum.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Competitor
    I have a related question - I've got two Traxxas cars - a Stampede XL5 and a Rustler VXL. The Stampede came with the TQ 2.4Ghz radio and the Rustler came with the TQi 2.4 radio. I just bough a bunch of older 27Mhz Traxxas cars and parts at a garage sale and I'm hoping to build up a Slash and another Rustler (and maybe one more out of the parts) and convert them all to 2.4 Ghz and use one of the existing controllers. Will the TQ or TQi controllers work with any 2.4Ghz receivers, or only with Traxxas receivers? Also, do I have to use specific Traxxas receivers to ensure compatibility? Thanks!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    Thank you. So looking at the chart, it appears that a #6519 receiver will work with either of our radios, or the 2218x will work with the TQi…(?) Any difference between those two besides about $10? (I don't care about telemetry)

That would be it, the telemetry.

RC Competitor
    One last question - once the additional car/rx is set up with the TQi, what's involved in switching between cars? Does one have to fiddle-dink with the ESC and radio every time, or once it has been "bound" is it as simple as just turning on the radio then turning on the ESC of the car I want to drive? If I have to re-bind the radio each time, I might just use the "power up" program to buy a radio+receiver at a discount and avoid the hassle. Thanks again!

Once it is set up, just turn on the controller and then the RC you want to drive.

RC Competitor
    Beautiful! Thanks!

RC Enthusiast
    Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd just continue the thought here.

I have two vehicles with new type 2.4 receivers (6518) and two new identical TQi transmitters. If I bind both receivers to one transmitter, will it only control the first receiver that I power up? And, if I then power up the second vehicle, will the other transmitter still be bound to it? Or, can a receiver only be bound to one transmitter at a time?

In other words, can I just use one transmitter to control either vehicle when it is just me. And, without re-binding anything, can I use both vehicles and both transmitters at the same time when I have a visitor present who wants to play, assuming I power them up in proper order?

I once read of a hobby shop having 20 demo RC's... all where bound to each remote so it did not matter which one you grabbed, it would work with the RC you turned on.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    I once read of a hobby shop having 20 demo RC's... all where bound to each remote so it did not matter which one you grabbed, it would work with the RC you turned on.
    Makes sense. And, surely they would operate more than one at a time on occasion.

The shop was in a big enough of an area that all 20 where being used at the same time during weekends.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks JN, good info as usual.

RC poster
    My Rustler VXL came with a TQi transmitter, but the manual refers to a TQ which I assume is the former iteration, and that the directions in the manual also apply to the TQi?

Man one look at that "menu tree" tells me that, if I want to use one Tx for multiple rides, I need to get me a high-end "controller" with a screen. I'd give myself a migraine trying to decipher all those red and green blinks at the field/track.

Better yet I should just use my 12Z airplane radio. Driving using sticks oughtta be fun...