RC Enthusiast

Opinions on breaking in/running 30% on a new 3.3

Ive had plenty of 3.3's so far and have always ran 20%. I am getting a new jato and I am thinking about running 30% thru it. Honestly I have never had a 3.3 last super long and I can tune really well ( I think so )

BUT I really want speed out of this jato and I am wondering how 30% really affects the life of a 3.3 . Any particular do's and dont's with running 30%?
    " Some times you gotta race it out man" -Me

RC Qualifier
    I run 30% in all of my engines. The tune window is smaller that is for sure. Once you are tuned properly though, you will make more power. I have done break in with 30%, just keep it rich. If you are nervous, just break in on 20% and then switch over later and tune for the 30%
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by westoakmech View Post
    I run 30% in all of my engines. The tune window is smaller that is for sure. Once you are tuned properly though, you will make more power. I have done break in with 30%, just keep it rich. If you are nervous, just break in on 20% and then switch over later and tune for the 30%
    I guess the saying " Only run what you break it in on " is a myth? Ive heard that numerous times about nitro fuel. If you break it in on 20 stay with 20. Im not nervous with using 30% but Ive had a ton of 3.3 and they are not exactly a long lasting motor... In my experience and I don't run my stuff lean. I tune for sound and smoke not temp. temp is more of a reference point IMO.

But, so far, 30% has done well for you and your 3.3's?
    " Some times you gotta race it out man" -Me

RC Qualifier
    Yes I have one pushing 7 gallons, starting to get a little hard to start, and running a little weak. It will however still pull bump wheelies. You just have to be careful, like I said your tune window is quite a bit smaller. Until you get the hang of using it be very diligent watching your temps. Whatever size of adjustment you are used to making, cut that in half. IE if you make 1/16th turns, go half that. Once you get used to that, you will love it. I don't tune by temp, but I don't tune only by smoke or performance. I watch all three and adjust accordingly. I can tell you a temp gun has extended the life span of all the engines I have had since using one. Good luck and hope it goes well.

I was always taught not to go below the % that you broke in on. I have switched back and forth, with no ill effects. You just have to retune
    Last edited by westoakmech; 01-01-2014 at 06:46 PM.
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

RC poster
    If you read your owners manual it specifically says that the oil content does not change based on fuel grade. Ie 20% has the same as 33%, so your engine life is not effected by fuel grade. Just stick with Traxxas top fuel and you can't go wrong.
    john campbell

Quote Originally Posted by westoakmech View Post
    I was always taught not to go below the % that you broke in on. I have switched back and forth, with no ill effects. You just have to retune
    If you are experienced with tuning nitro engines switching the % is not a big deal. We do recommend breaking it in on what you plan to run but that is primarily because of the tuning change and because it is easiest to become familiar with tuning to a specific fuel %. So long as you don't let the engine overheat (Easy to do when switching from 20% to 33%) it's not a problem.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

You can change Nitro % at any time as long as your fully run out the old fuel, do an after run. Put in the new fuel and re-tune fully, LSN, HSN and idle screw....

30% is all I ever use these days. I average 7-8 gallons before I find considerable power loss and time to rebuild, but have taken one engine as far as 12 gallons and yes on 30% nitro.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous