RC poster

Downgearing the Telluride

Will the 90 tooth spur gear from Slash 2wd fit into vehicle?
    I've just ordered a Telluride and 12/90 gears, planning to do some light crawling and mostly hiking..
    From what i can see the stock gearing is 12/83, and the motors are still fried

RC Qualifier
    First off welcome to the forums!

It should fit on the telluride as far as I know.
    And we thought toy grade RC's where cool...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Atle View Post
    Will the 90 tooth spur gear from Slash 2wd fit into vehicle?
    I've just ordered a Telluride and 12/90 gears, planning to do some light crawling and mostly hiking..
    From what i can see the stock gearing is 12/83, and the motors are still fried
    NO it will not fit in the Telluride. 83 is max with out having to mod the chassis. I tried an 84 and it's a no-go. You can change the spur gear down to an 11t and with the stock 83t spur you will get a 7.5:1 ratio, which is the same as your 12/90 gearing.

Just a heads up for ya. Even with 11/83 gearing keep a close eye on your motor temps.

73, Goat
    Last edited by KC5H; 12-29-2013 at 10:59 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    I think it also depends what motor you have on if you can use an 11t. the motor i have has the flux sleeve and it just barely touches the floorpan with the 12, but a motor without the sleeve has a little clearance.

RC Qualifier
    12t 48p 3mm bore is the smallest one made, Traxxas geared this truck as low as possible.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Enthusiast
    If you know where to look there are 10t 48 p 3mm shaft gears.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by patmanz28 View Post
    If you know where to look there are 10t 48 p 3mm shaft gears.
    Patmanz28, you caught me off guard, and yes your right. Behold the smallest 48p 3mm bore pinion in the world, (not my words, theirs)

http://store.rc4wd.com/10-Tooth-48-P...ear_p_597.html
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC poster
    Thanks for your response, a 10 tooth pinion will be ordered
    I will most likely go brushless when the titan dies... Any recomendations?
    Sensored is a must and waterproof would be nice

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaky17 View Post
    12t 48p 3mm bore is the smallest one made, Traxxas geared this truck as low as possible.
    NAH. 32p = 9/54
    48p = 11/83

11t 48p here... http://www.trinityrc.net/shop/index....&product_id=96

11t 48p pinion will mesh with the 83t spur. I used 1 sliver of posted note for a gauge. I can force 2 slivers into the mesh but the Telly will not roll. I never tried anything smaller then an 11t. Oh, be sure to clean out the slot where the motor plate stop slides down into the chassis. 32 pitch 9/54 meshes with out issue.

73, Goat
    Last edited by KC5H; 12-30-2013 at 06:25 PM.

RC Racer
    Shaky17
    They haven't looked too hard cause, 7t 48p is the smallest I've ever seen....
    Made for slot cars so I could not tell you what the bore size is.

http://www.sonic-products.com/48-pitch-gears/

LOL

73, Goat
    Last edited by KC5H; 12-30-2013 at 06:35 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by KC5H View Post
    Shaky17
    They haven't looked too hard cause, 7t 48p is the smallest I've ever seen....
    Made for slot cars so I could not tell you what the bore size is.

http://www.sonic-products.com/48-pitch-gears/

LOL

73, Goat
    That's just plain crazy. I could never make it as a watch maker.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaky17 View Post
    That's just plain crazy. I could never make it as a watch maker.
    +1

73, Goat

Traxxas Employee
    Here's a thought: the ring and pinion gears in the brushed Stampede 4x4 differentials are lower to allow for the larger chevron tires. If you swap your ring and pinion gears with those, you will be lowering the gearing of the Telluride in addition to the pinion/spur combo.

RC Racer
    Interesting, I saw those (6779&6778) I thought they were an overdrive gear-set for a slash though. I didn't realize that was front and rear.

RC poster
    Hmm.... I'll look into that... Still waiting for my Telluride, got delayed due to some weather issues in New York.... I'm from Norway and we are still waiting for winter to arrive:/

RC Champion
    Id just switch out the 12t titan motor for a 21t titan from the emaxx and your down gearing problems and small pinion searches are over. I run 21t titans in all my Axial trail rigs and they are awesome for the price. They handle 3S lipo with ease (if you have the esc for it).
    You could gear the 21t up quite a bit if you wanted the speed, however they seem the most happy with more volts than more gears.
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by madkawi650 View Post
    Id just switch out the 12t titan motor for a 21t titan from the emaxx and your down gearing problems and small pinion searches are over. I run 21t titans in all my Axial trail rigs and they are awesome for the price. They yhandle 3S lipo with ease (if you have the esc for it).
    You could gear the 21t up quite a bit if you wanted the speed, however they seem the most happy with more volts than more gears.
    This is what I was thinking too, but has anybody tried to use a 32p, 56t spur gear on the Telluride yet?
    Aw, Biscuits!

RC Champion
    It'll take the same gearing the slash4x4 and stampede 4x4 will take. I believe 50, 52,54 are the 3 spurs listed for the 4x4 slash. I had one a while back but forget the spur size. I know the stock spur was a tight fit so I would make a guess that the 56 won't fit without some dremmel work. It may not even fit with grinding work, there's not a lot of material to work with there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

RC Champion
    One of my customers ar work was going to try the 56t in a Slash or 4xPede, but I haven't really seen him since he bought the gear last week to ask.
    Aw, Biscuits!

RC poster
    I did stuff a 90T spur in two tellurides with a little cutting of the case but it was not really worth it. Use the 86 and get a 19 to 35 turn brushed motor to slow it down. We trail run a couple with higher turn motors and they work very well for us.

RC Enthusiast
    If you don't need to go faster than a quick walk when on the trails, you might want to try a gear reduction unit. I tried this on my Stampede and it worked great for hiking on the trails at a local park.

Here is the thread

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...er-trail-truck

NAH. 32p = 9/54
    48p = 11/83
    The 9t 32p gear is actually bigger in diameter than the 11t 48p gear...
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bjoehandley View Post
    This is what I was thinking too, but has anybody tried to use a 32p, 56t spur gear on the Telluride yet?
    Its the same chassis as the Stampede and I run a 56T spur. It fits with no mods but to get the slipper assembly in and out you have to take off or loosen the driveshaft cover to get the angle right. It was the same with the stock motor mount and the STRC mount I upgraded to. It does take a bit more wiggling to get it lined up with the aluminum mount because the bearing fits in there tighter but it does fit.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Atle View Post
    Hmm.... I'll look into that... Still waiting for my Telluride, got delayed due to some weather issues in New York.... I'm from Norway and we are still waiting for winter to arrive:/
    Yeah, here in Sweden still waiting for winter to