RC Racer

My Son's New Yellow Summit VXL

I have a full size Summit and got my son got a 1/16 Summit VXL for Christmas. We shot an unboxing video for fun.

http://youtu.be/SR85RyO8gnE

We will also be doing a few things to the truck and we will document them here. This is a really fun little truck. Looking forward to many of hours of fun together with my son.
    Father: 1/10 Summit Mamba | Son: 1/16 Summit VXL

RC Qualifier
    Lucky guy. Post some running vids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    A few photos with my big Summit:

We took them out together yesterday and had a blast. He is still running in training mode, but it's still pretty quick! We installed the wheelie bar and light kit and they are great. He already broke one of the tie rods on the rear in an unfortunate meeting with an immovable rock. It snaps back in temporarily, but will certainly have to be replaced. I ordered the Traxxas aluminum ones along with the aluminum pushrods, some purple springs for the rear, and some 80wt shock oil. The extra battery really seems to weigh the rear down, so hopefully the springs and oil will fix it. I'm also thinking about preemptively ordering a new steering servo since that seems to be an inevitable failure point. I'm a little annoyed by having to fix things already, but I know it's just part of it and we love this little truck!

RC Racer
    I've already had to call Traxxas for warranty work.

1. The trigger fell off the TQ transmitter. I was able to take the radio apart and reattach it, but they are sending another since I don't have great confidence it won't happen again.

2. The steering servo stripped out. They are sending a replacement, but I went ahead and ordered a ___ 390 metal gear servo so it won't happen again.

3. One of the plastic faux-adjustable toe links broke in the rear. Our fault (I guess) but it's obviously a weak point on the truck. I have ordered the aluminum ones.

The truck hasn't even been out of training mode yet and has had all these issues. Not super happy about that. I'm all for "upgrading as it breaks" - I just didn't think I would have to do it so much in the first 48 hours with very mild driving. When it's running, it's really cool, not so much when it's not.

RC Racer
    Put the new toe links on the truck and have the light kit & wheelie bar on it as well. Still waiting for the new servo (it actually still runs as long as you don't go near full lock when turning left) and a few other parts I ordered (steel hollow balls, purple rear springs, shock oil, aluminum pushrods). In the mean time, here are a few shots of the truck with the lights on:

RC Racer
    Lucky kid! Sucks your having a few issues, my buddy just got his son a 1/16 grave digger for Xmas because he really wanted one after seeing my sons, my kids never broke anything within the first few months, his it was broken 5 mins after he opened it on Xmas day, steering bell crack broke, I went over and switched it around for him, then the next day my son and his son thought they would get together and run the trucks, 2 mins into the run they collided and he broke a a arm and axle carrier and his trucks going down the road dragging a tire...I got rpm stuff on ours so I had replacement parts on hand once again to fix it right there, it's frustrating to break stuff right out of the box for sure and since it's my fault he bought it for the kid I kinda feel bad, at least I can fix it for him, he's got a bday coming next week and my sons present is RPM a arms and axle carriers as well as steel hollow balls and green wheel nuts, that should improve things, once you upgrade some parts these trucks are pretty tuff, My kids are each running 1/16 brushless and they haven't broke a single thing since last march, servo, a arms, and carriers are a must to upgrade, good luck with it and keep us posted.

The lights you put on look great!

RC Racer
    I'm looking at axle carriers and a-arms for sure. I got steel hollow balls and the aluminum pushrods and installed those today. I also read that the shock bodies should be upgraded as the stock ones tend to leak. I'm thinking about doing that as well. I figure that, like you said, it should be pretty tough once upgraded. It's just a bummer to have to do all that. Having said that, it's a really fun little truck. My son is having a blast with it when it's working!

RC Racer
    With aluminum pushrods/toe links and steel hollow balls installed:

I also have some aluminum axle carriers and shock bodies on order. They are from Atomik and the price was really good (less than $12 shipped per pair for the carriers and about $7 for a pair of shock bodies). I couldn't find much info on them, so I guess I'll be the Guinea pig.

RC Racer
    We got the new axle carriers and shock bodies in and had a chance to put the axle carriers in. These are really nice. I'm impressed. Very easy to work with and the fit and finish is very good. The hardest part of the install was getting the old knuckles off! Very pleased with them. Going to try the shocks next.

Keep in mind that this is not a comparison since I haven't tried any others, but these get a big thumbs up from me so far, especially compared to the stock ones.

RC Racer
    Looks great!

RC Qualifier
    Those look real good, i hope you found some gems! Be sure to post up how the carriers are please after you get to run them.
    2wd Slash VXL
    3906 MMM

RC Racer
    Your son did a good unboxing video and the video editing was good too! Enjoying your thread! Please keep the updates coming!

RC Racer
    We got the new servo installed (the replacement 2080 from Traxxas - The Bluebird still hasn't arrived) and my son took it out today for some snow bashing fun!

RC Racer
    I finally had the chance last night to install the new shock bodies and I'm happy with them so far. The fit/finish on these Atomik shock bodies is quite good. I decided to reuse the Traxxas O-rings and spacer rather than using the Atomik ones. I figured that Traxxas' own rings should fit the shock shaft well and everything seems to be in order once put together. I also put 80wt oil in when rebuilding them as well as upgraded to purple springs in the rear. We will see how it all runs soon (maybe today). I should also mention that I'm also still happy with the axle carriers so far. They are sturdy and work well. Here are a few pictures in the mean time:

RC Racer
    I'll also mention that I did receive the new metal geared servo and had the chance to waterproof it last night. I'm going to try to get it installed later today. The replacement 2080 Traxxas sent has held up better than the 1st, but I don't trust it long term. I'm going to rebuild the the 1st, keep it as a backup, and sell the one that's in now. The new servo:

RC Racer
    I should also mention that I think we are done with preventative upgrades. I hope. I still need to shim the diffs, but I think other than that we are good. If the A-arms break I will probably get RPMs, and if the axles break we will go with merv ones, but we will wait to do that when or if that happens. Other than the servo and tie rod issues, this has been a really fun little truck. Finally got it off training mode in the snow and this little guy is a blast...and fast.

I'll also mention that we tried snow with and without snow chains (just in the rear on this one for now) and it's night and day! I used the leftover chain from making the chains for my 1/10 Summit, so I need to get some more for the rears. If anyone is interested, for the stock canyons, we used #14 jack chain from Home Depot. The sidewall chains were 14 links long and we installed the cross chains to the sidewalls every 2 links and they were 4 links long each. You should be able to do all 4 with 10 feet of chain (about $5-6) so definitely worth it if you run in a lot of snow or ice.

RC Racer
    Argh! We ran the Summits in the street today and had an unfortunate head-on collision between my 1/10 Summit and my son's 1/16. Guess which one didn't win?

The result is that the front bulkhead snapped along with the chassis. I've ordered a new chassis and front bulkhead and have a major rebuild in my near future.

I'm currently trying to convince my son to let me dye the chassis black while we are at it. He really likes the gray, but we'll see if I can convince him otherwise.

RC Qualifier
    Youch! I've done a head on with a Slash 4x4 Ultimate and a stock NI-MH Pede... My slash one! The pede on the thee hand got a whole new front end, including some new aluminum.
    PM for info.....

RC Enthusiast
    did you shorten the atenna wire?
    Last edited by Mr. Lazybum; 01-13-2014 at 10:26 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lazybum View Post
    did you shorten the atenna wire?
    I did. The difference in range is negligible as far as I can tell, though I know there is certainly some reduction. It still goes farther out without issue than we need it to for our use.

RC Racer
    Got the new chassis and bulkhead in and had some time tonight to do the project. My son decided to go with black for the chassis, so I dyed the chassis and rockers before installing...and here's the finished product. Love the result.

I also put in the new 390 servo and tried it out - it's great and with metal gears should be more reliable than the 2080.

With the body:

RC Enthusiast
    Nice truck good dad My now 6 year old is loving his mini summit, doing another round of upgrades now (RPM A arms, CVDs all around and I'm adding your shock bodies and axle carriers to the list. If your climate gets over 80 degrees I highly recommend a fan setup if you're sticking with the stock ESC ( http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-ESC-amp-Motor ) . I've had great luck in all temps and all conditions (grass 100 degree days etc).

Any pics of the chains or a link to a how to? Great idea!

RC Racer
    Looking good!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkham1963 View Post
    Nice truck good dad My now 6 year old is loving his mini summit, doing another round of upgrades now (RPM A arms, CVDs all around and I'm adding your shock bodies and axle carriers to the list. If your climate gets over 80 degrees I highly recommend a fan setup if you're sticking with the stock ESC ( http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-ESC-amp-Motor ) . I've had great luck in all temps and all conditions (grass 100 degree days etc).

Any pics of the chains or a link to a how to? Great idea!
    Good idea on the fan. We live in Colorado at 7000ft, so it will be a little bit before it gets that warm. I'll have to look into that before late summer when it does.

No videos/pics of the chain making process, but I just got some more to do the front wheels so maybe I'll make a video when I do that.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RcSummitVXL View Post
    Looking good!
    Thanks! We like it!

RC Enthusiast
    Colorado, nice. I also really like the TBone front bumper and under tray. The tray takes some extra time to remove when you need to work on it, but it keeps everything mint and it doesn't get hung up on rocks.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkham1963 View Post
    Colorado, nice. I also really like the TBone front bumper and under tray. The tray takes some extra time to remove when you need to work on it, but it keeps everything mint and it doesn't get hung up on rocks.
    Those do look cool. Maybe down the road.

RC Racer

My Son's New Yellow Summit VXL

Another update. After doing the bulkheads, we were out running the truck and the steering broke again - this time it was the arm of the servo saver. No problem! I can flip the arms around and use the other one since it's designed to optionally use two servos. The next time out, that one broke too! So, we are now the proud owners of a Hot Racing aluminum steering assembly. I should also mention that when I did the bulkheads, I also put in a GPM aluminum steering mounting pole as well (the stock one also broke in the accident). Now, the whole steering system from the servo to the knuckles (except for the servo horn) is all metal, so HOPEFULLY we won't have any more breakages for a little while! Here are a few pics of the new servo saver and mounting pole:

Another minor thing - I took the chrome off the front grill since it was pretty scraped up anyway, and this way, it won't show as much when it gets inevitably scraped again.

Last edited by Bsheasby; 01-29-2014 at 10:29 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I need to get a set of the Traxxas link, like your running. I bought a set of the cheaper Integy rods and my son already tore a rod end off. Also last time I ordered parts, I ordered wrong bearings for servo saver. But got bearings in the rockers, need stiffer springs in rear.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by USA1 View Post
    I need to get a set of the Traxxas link, like your running. I bought a set of the cheaper Integy rods and my son already tore a rod end off. Also last time I ordered parts, I ordered wrong bearings for servo saver. But got bearings in the rockers, need stiffer springs in rear.
    I'm really happy with the rods. Hopefully they hold up well. I also put purple springs in the rear and am really happy with how they work.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah they look beefy. I wonder if the thread size is bigger, than the Integy ones I was using?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by USA1 View Post
    Yeah they look beefy. I wonder if the thread size is bigger, than the Integy ones I was using?
    The might be. They seem pretty strong and I have not seen any complaints about them breaking. Integy on the other hand...

RC poster
    Dude! Nice looking floor on the last pic of post #21.