RC poster

DR-1 Drifts left and backwards

This is the first RC for our family. My son got the hang of it but after several crashes it drifts to the left upon take off. I have adjusted the trim in many different ways but doesn't seem to help. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I am sure its probably something simple. I have never had any RC products in the past, sorry if this is a dumb question.

Only two things I can think of that will make the QR drift like that. One is the trim settings the other is a damaged prop. It does not take much of a ding or bend in the tip of a prop to make it fly funny. Make sure your props are good and if you replace one or more reset your trims back to 0 and then adjust them as needed.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Welcome to the forum! First off, there is no such thing as a dumb question .

I agree with checking the blades. Make sure you buy plenty of them. As with anything the better you get the less likely you will go through them as fast. When replacing the blades make sure you notice they are marked with an A or B. Also, try setting your trims to zero. Place the quad on a flat surface. Take the left joystick and move it to the down right position. While holding the left joystick down and to the right move the right joystick left and right a few times quickly. The leds on the quad will blink. This resets the gyro within the quad. Also check out traxxas on YouTube as they have a few videos about this on there.

If you have more questions please feel free to ask and good luck!

Sent from my SCH-I535

RC poster
    Thanks for your response! We have the DR-1 Helicoptor not the QR....Same advice?? I reset the handset and worked with the trim but same thing happens.
    Last edited by Judahites; 12-26-2013 at 05:28 PM.

RC poster
    I am new to heli flying myself. Got my dr1 just a few days ago. Had similar problem a few times after crash. Take a close look at the swash plate assembly. (Where your servos connect to the blades) I have found that the assembly tends to separate sometimes. This throws the blade angles out of level & doesn't allow the servos to operate the angles correctly. I have been able to simply pinch the swash plate assy back together so there is no gap & the **** is back to normal. (Extra note: I tried to fly it outside in nearly windless conditions, but swash plate kept separating under strain of any wind at all. Just going to stay with flying it indoors)

RC Qualifier
    Apparently I cannot read lol. Sorry about that.

I donot have a DR1 so I cannot say for sure. I tired searching in google and youtube but didn't find anything. I would imagine they would share similar characteristics with the trimming. I know on my other Helicopters its important to have well maintained blades. You could always try that and/or call traxxas. They are very helpful.

Could also try this.
    http://traxxas.com/support/Restoring...fault-Settings

Sent from my SCH-I535
    Last edited by mrtwohands; 12-27-2013 at 02:05 PM.

I am guilty of poor reading as well. I also do not have a DR-1 but have owned similar helis in the past. There are many more things that can cause this with the coaxial copter than the quad copter. Bent links, messed up squash plate etc but not having owned a DR-1 I am not sure where to tell you to start.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC poster
    100% correct, I was having the same issue.. i wanted more forward motion and i decided to tighten the eye on the are that connects to the servo thinking that it would work..it was all over the place i tried putting it back but no luck it was unbearably terrible.. but just like you said the swash plate seprated all i did was squeez it back together and in back in the air!! thank you!!!

RC poster
    coaxial helicopters are touchy. there is going to be some motion when landing and takeoff just due to the wind currents and imperfections in the landing surface. The only place to set trims is in a large unobstructed space IE 2 feet above the furniture. With take offs and landings the operator needs to adjust not the helicopter same is true with full size

and as for making them faster it is not possible if you want more speed you need to upgrade to single rotor

RC Enthusiast
    I found after a good crash I had to re adjust things, it's kinda part of first hover procedure now, startup hover and adjust makes things easier as you get use too setting her upp right away. I bent one of the props and just bent it back, still going.
    Haven t flown outside yet also I find it easier to fly in Expert mode but man its touchy but I find you have more feel for direction. I'm still getting disorientated at times and try to keep it simple baby steps.

RC poster
    just a word of advice it may not perform well outside. that's one of the down sides to a coaxial

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk