RC Qualifier

Summit EVX-2 Low Voltage Cutoff

My Summit keeps going into Low Voltage Cutoff mode after a few minutes of driving.

I checked the voltage of the cells in my batts and all four were around 3.95V so there should be no reason why it would go into LVD but it keeps doing it. The light on the ESC is slow blinking red when this happens which corresponds to LVD so somehow & for some reason my ESC seems to be seeing the cells as lower than they are OR the LVD is set to 3.9V or something???

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks & Merry Christmas!

RC Qualifier
    Nothing's wrong that's just the voltage the LVC kicks in it, it kinda sucks could be a little lower for some longer run times. Maybe if we get enough people Traxxas will lower it on future models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Qualifier
    You've got to be kidding - LVC comes on at 3.95V?????

Stage 1 does not kick on for me until ~3.6 and stage 2 is ~3.4

There are a few things that can trigger early LVD.
    1) Faulty ESC
    2) Cold temperatures
    3) Low quality batteries
    4) Low C ratings
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post

1) Faulty ESC
    2) Cold temperatures
    3) Low quality batteries
    4) Low C ratings
    I'm in Australia and it's above 30C so temp isn't an issue
    The batts I'm using are 5200mah 30C 2S Lipos that don't seem to be an issue in my other cars.
    So perhaps I have a faulty ESC? But JoelRobbo says that his did the same thing!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by clinical View Post
    I'm in Australia and it's above 30C so temp isn't an issue
    The batts I'm using are 5200mah 30C 2S Lipos that don't seem to be an issue in my other cars.
    So perhaps I have a faulty ESC? But JoelRobbo says that his did the same thing!
    I Have had the same issue before. I now zip tie these http://spcracingbatteries.com/index....&product_id=52 to my esc wires and connect the battery that plugs in to the ESC plug. These are set for 3.4v and you can change them for whatever you want. The other cool thing is you can monitor how much juice your battery has left so you can turn around and get back without carrying the beast. You could try one of these and if the issue continues you can then access whats wrong.
    Last edited by BRICK57; 12-25-2013 at 05:30 PM.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    I Have had the same issue before. I now zip tie these http://spcracingbatteries.com/index....&product_id=52 to my esc wires and connect the battery that plugs in to the ESC plug. These are set for 3.4v and you can change them for whatever you want. The other cool thing is you can monitor how much juice your battery has left so you can turn around and get back without carrying the beast. You could try one of these and if the issue continues you can then access whats wrong.
    Are you saying that you attached a LV alarm to the BALANCE plug of your battery? Coz you said you attached it to your ESC wire??

I don't understand this sentence from your post "I now zip tie these to my esc wires and connect the battery that plugs in to the ESC plug."

Also - are you suggesting turning off the LVD and relying on these alarms to alert you to a low voltage in your batts??

Yes the balance tab on the bec side batt as it drains slightly quicker.
    Yes you run in Nimh mode
    The alarms are quite loud,piercingly so.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    The alarms are quite loud,piercingly so.

Sent using lipo power
    Aren't they just a lovely sounding piece of equipment
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by clinical View Post
    Are you saying that you attached a LV alarm to the BALANCE plug of your battery? Coz you said you attached it to your ESC wire??

I don't understand this sentence from your post "I now zip tie these to my esc wires and connect the battery that plugs in to the ESC plug."

Also - are you suggesting turning off the LVD and relying on these alarms to alert you to a low voltage in your batts??
    Yes attach the LVA to the balance plug on the battery that powers the BEC. I zip tie the LVA to the wires from the ESC. Yes I do NOT activate the LVD on the ESC. I run in the same mode as you would with the NIMH batteries. To determiner which plug powers the BEC, just plug one battery in and try to turn on the ESC, if it turns on that is the BEC plug, if not that is the plug to power the motor. I have been doing this for a while and I have complete faith in the LVA. Besides I can monitor the voltage in the battery as I am running. You can very definitely hear the alarm when it goes off.
    Last edited by BRICK57; 12-26-2013 at 05:18 PM.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post

1) Faulty ESC
    2) Cold temperatures
    3) Low quality batteries
    4) Low C ratings
    What as per u is a low c rating that may cause this?

Anything that is not up to the demand of the motor/ESC.
    Without a data logger to know exact amp draw we can go off the specs of the ESC; ESC amp limit + 20% = ideal battery capability. To figure out battery capability: mAh x C rating / 1,000 = available amps. The only issue with this is 90% of the battery brands LIE about their ratings.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.