RC Racer

Spectacularly Smoked Spurless Spur

LOL, it was really kind of funny. I had been running it in the snow the last few days, just beating the tar out of it. I had noticed a clicking that I knew was from the spur gear as I damaged it a tiny bit while torching off a pinion gear with a stripped set screw. So I kept running. Fast Forward today, I start to hear a much louder clicking which I believe to be yet another rear diff blowing up, so I keep running. Then I look down at the truck, which at the moment has no body on it, and see smoke coming from the gear cover........ Ooops. I unplug the batteries remove the gear cover and find this....

Glad I got a spare spur gear when I was at RC Pitstop a few days ago. I have been meaning to install the single motor mount for months now. I guess I'll finally be able to do that. I have never taken a spur off, nor have I have ever taken the clutch apart. Anyone got any tips for me? Should this be a straight up job.

Side note, fairly easy to tell which screws are Stainless and Which are not. I guess I really need to swap the front bulkhead screws. I have been swapping out screws when I have to take something apart and put it back together. I guess I have not had the bulkhead off yet.

Pics

RC Qualifier
    Wow thats crazy man, have you considered getting a metal gear like from Robinson racing? I just got mine and can't wait to use it... And yes it's straight forward just remove the nut and put the new gear on, tighten the nut back down all the way and back it off about an 1/8th of a turn, also double check your gears are a single piece of paper spaced apart... If you're removing the motor plate just loose the tranny case screws from underneath that way you'll have room to pull the plate out, it's really not that hard
    The smartest person, asks the most questions...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dann117elite View Post
    Wow thats crazy man, have you considered getting a metal gear like from Robinson racing? I just got mine and can't wait to use it... And yes it's straight forward just remove the nut and put the new gear on, tighten the nut back down all the way and back it off about an 1/8th of a turn, also double check your gears are a single piece of paper spaced apart... If you're removing the motor plate just loose the tranny case screws from underneath that way you'll have room to pull the plate out, it's really not that hard
    I think that was exactly my issue. When I replaced the pinion I think I torqued it down to tight to the spur. When I replace the spur I will make sure there is a paper thickness space. I was beating on the truck really hard in the snow I was running Full Throttle for long periods of time, then quickly onto the brake and spinning it around backwards and punching the throttle again. The tires also got a lot of water into the foam which would have loaded down the drivetrain really hard.

I have had the slipper locked tight for months maybe its time to unlock it a touch.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Did you know that stainless screws are much weaker than stock screws... which makes them easier to strip and break off?
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Does anyone know where i can buy replacement set screws in case i strip mine?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    Hardware store, Mc master carr, or here. Tonys screws. high grade 12.9 screws. I don't use anything but tonys screws.
    The stock traxxas screws are not all that good . Good hardware and hex wrenchs will save you some headaches.

RC Qualifier
    thank, the last thing I would want is a tiny grub screw causing a big problem ! Is this the size I want ? :
    http://www.tonysscrews.com/product.s...&categoryId=-1

RC Racer
    How can you honestly say 1 screw from X is better than the other guys when you don't know the country of origin. A metric 12.9 is a metric 12.9. Sure North & South American metal have more iron content but how is that stronger than someone else's 12.9 bolt. The extra iron may not be relevant in strength over longevity. Post facts. Just sayin.
    Stampede VXL
    E MAXX - Go Big Joe's or go home!

RC Racer
    Uhm guys, just how many pieces is the slipper supposed to be in, when you take it apart. The pressure plate, disk, pads, and flywheel all kinda fell apart when I un-bolted it, parts of one pad stuck to the flywheel, other bits were just kind of uhm everywhere. The pressure plate itself looks like a brake rotor that was overheated and rubbed bar its also really thin, like paper thin. I am thinking that is why the slipper was torqued down tight to begin with. (I bought the truck used and the slipper has been locked as long as I have owned it)

I got the old spur off, it was so melted on the back side that I had to break parts of it to get the screws to crack loose. I have not taken any pics of the mess as between taking care of my 2 kids and dealing with Christmas stuff, I have not had much time to tinker with the truck. I got the old motor mount off, and the new motor mount on, am to the point that I can start putting the motor in and spur in. The new gear cover is also much nicer than the one I am taking off. (Still stock, just looks nicer being new)

I will try and snap some pics before I find a way to put it all back together. I might end up just making a new set of slipper pads from automotive clutch disk material.

RC Racer
    As promised here are the pics, if you want to see the much larger versions, go here, http://captfiero.com/rccarstuff/MaxRebuild

In a few of the pics you can really see just how hot it must have gotten to not only melt the spur, but to start to melt the metal parts. I had to take the slipper to my wire wheel to clean up the melted plastic and metal. I went ahead and Locked the Slipper again. I have ran it for 6 months with a locked slipper, so for now I will just leave it like that. At least until I can pick up one of those Robinson Racing ones. The bearing looked Horrid, but still spun clean so I went ahead and re-installed it. Seeing as the slipper is locked the bearing is really just used as an alignment bushing. I didn't realize it, but the new spur is a 68 and my old one was a 65, so I should pick up a bit more bottom end power, and loose a bit of top end speed. Which frankly is fine. I don't have any really wide open area's to run it, so the extra torque and longer run time should be nice.

RC Racer

All Back together and ready to Rock, well still had to put the Receiver cover back on, left it off to adjust up a few Castle settings. Ramped the BEC up to 7v.

RC Champion
    If you get the HD brushless clutch with the alum clutch pads TRX #5352R it will hold up better than that one.

RC Racer
    Strongest clutch up to date.I highly recommend it.

Last edited by Cky; 01-06-2014 at 08:04 PM.

RC Racer
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it. However the truck is broke again. I got it all put back together, made a few good runs with it, then put on a set of Big Joe's took it out again, was having a blast and snapped the bulkhead and rear skid plate off. My wife works for Best Buy Canada (first aid nurse in their warehouse) and since they are now a Traxxas dealer, I am looking into what her cost will be for the Traxxas upgrade parts.
    EMAXX 3908,MM2 Waterproof. Lots of Hand Made Parts