RC Competitor

EZ Peak Plus and Dual Balance Board Adapter

Apologize for being such a noob to RCs, but can I use this for storage mode? The way I understand it is anything over 30hrs from use and they should be put at storage voltage. Trying to put (2) 2S 5000mah LiPos in storage mode, and each of the 4 cells have been hovering around 3.80 for a while. I just got the batteries and wanted to make sure they were in storage mode before I wrap them for Christmas since I won't be using them for over a week. The instructions don't say anything about using the adapter for storage, so I just mixed the instructions for storage in the EZ Peak manual with instructions in the Balance Board manual. I have it set in storage mode at 2.0A for 4S. Is this correct?

Also, when charging the 2 LiPos together, do I do 5.0A for 5000mah, or do I add 5000mah + 5000mah and charge at 10.0A? Obviously this charger only goes to 6.0A, but curious if I need to stay at 5.0A? Thanks for the help!

RC Qualifier
    Yes you can do storage mode w the board, yes 2a 4s .

yes technically you could go 10 amps 5000 +5000, personally I like to go half of what there capable of so personally I would be charging at 5a unless I was in a hurry.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    NO YOU CANNOT GO 10 AMPS.

The adapter charges them in series, not parallel. With series charging, you add voltage and not capacity.

Also, there is absolutely no benefit to charging at less than 1C with LiPo's.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    So will it really charge two batteries any faster than one at a time?

Two for the price of one, basically.
    (price being time)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    NO YOU CANNOT GO 10 AMPS.

The adapter charges them in series, not parallel. With series charging, you add voltage and not capacity.

Also, there is absolutely no benefit to charging at less than 1C with LiPo's.
    \

I amcharging dual 2s 2500 mah. I THOUGHT I could go 5 amps if I wanted to... are you saying 2.5 is max charge amp? ( am charing at 2 amp but THOUGHT I could go 5 )

Is it with the Traxxas dual charge adapter?
    If so, it charges in series... as stated before. When charging in series, the voltage would change from 2S to 4S but the mAh would remain the same... meaning 2,500mAh would still be 2,500mAh. 2,500mAh at a 1C charge rate is 2.5 amps.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by explorerlyon View Post
    So will it really charge two batteries any faster than one at a time?
    Short answer no. Long answer, Yes.

It will charge both battery's, but not at the same time. One battery will get priority (example--battery #1), and always be ahead. Once battery #1 reaches full charge, battery #2 is trickle charged from there. This can take over an hour or more to complete "after" battery #1 has finished.

Maybe Jimmie can chime in here an confirm my findings....but this is what I'm experiencing. As of now, I'm just charging individually, as it seems much faster.

As long as they have a similar charge state, they should be charging about twice as fast. If one or more cells are reaching full voltage before the others the charger will switch to balance mode and only be trickling in .2 amps or so through the balance wires instead of the higher amperage through the main wires.

RC Enthusiast
    So which is better and faster for multi-battery charging on the EZ Peak Plus (1) Traxxs adapter charging in series or (2) a parallel board? I want to multi charge 2s, 5000mh lipos.

As long as they are of a similar balance, the charge time between the two is going to be about the same.

Charging twin 2S 5,000mAh packs in parallel would take a charger capable of 2S voltage @ 10 amps to be able to charge at 1C.

Charging twin 2S 5,000mAh packs in series would take a charger capable of 4S voltage @ 5 amps to be able to charge at 1C.

The Traxxas board is capable of charging 2 at a time... most ParaBoards are capable of charging up to 6 at a time.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    As long as they are of a similar balance, the charge time between the two is going to be about the same.

Charging twin 2S 5,000mAh packs in parallel would take a charger capable of 2S voltage @ 10 amps to be able to charge at 1C.

Charging twin 2S 5,000mAh packs in series would take a charger capable of 4S voltage @ 5 amps to be able to charge at 1C.

The Traxxas board is capable of charging 2 at a time... most ParaBoards are capable of charging up to 6 at a time.
    Since the Traxxas EZ Plus has a 6amp max, won't that scale back the charge rate for parallel so series is better for this charger? Assumming goal is to only charge two at a time.

That is correct.