RC poster

Lipo storage question

do you "storage" your lipo after every use even if the voltage is near 3.8, or just live them until the next charge?

i use each pack until every cell reaches the voltage between 3.78-3.84, so if it is sure that the next weekend i will charge them again, can i leave them as they are or i have to put them in storage mode in order to reach 3.8v per cell? To be more specific, how many days can i leave the cells between 3.75-3.85 whithout damaging the battery?

another question is how long can i leave them fully charged? Can i charge them from the previous night and go to the track the next day?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I leave my packs fully charged for no more than 30 hours... ideally, they should not be fully charged for any longer than necessary. The longer they are full, the shorter their life span will be.

Storage voltage is not quite that specific... for a few days anything between 3.6-3.9 volts per cell is fine. The only time I worry about getting them to exactly 3.8v/c is for long term storage, like over winter.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    ok thanks for the reply...

so i can leave them without storage for the next weekend...

Fwiw, I agree with J_N about everything above. We have one difference, though it's not a disagreement: my packs don't sit over the winter. I find some way to use them, even it it's providing go-juice for a PowerWheels ride-on.
    If my packs were to sit for more than a month, I'd be sure to cycle them about every 4 weeks.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Yeah... I keep forgetting about the cycling. lol

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Fwiw, I agree with J_N about everything above. We have one difference, though it's not a disagreement: my packs don't sit over the winter. I find some way to use them, even it it's providing go-juice for a PowerWheels ride-on.
    If my packs were to sit for more than a month, I'd be sure to cycle them about every 4 weeks.
    Would charging a lipo and then using storage mode on the charger be the same as a cycle ?
    1 Rusty VXL

Close to it...
    Discharging in an RC would bring it below storage... and be quicker.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Close to it...
    Ya about 3hrs slower using storage mode on the charger . But I don't run my rc's in the winter , tried it a couple of times but always had a big mess , that's why I asked , If it would be the same as a cycle even knowing the draw on the battery is way less using charger than the rc .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC Competitor
    I have the adapter to do 2 Traxxas 2S 5000mah LiPos at the same time. My EZ Peak Plus only lets me go up to 2.0A in storage mode on the 4S setting. Is this correct? Also, when charging, do I do 5.0A since they're 5000mah each or do I add them together and do 10.0A? Charger only goes to 6.0A, but just curious if I should stick with 5.0A? Thanks!

I believe the Traxxas instructions for their twin battery charge adapter state that voltage increases and not amperage.

The EZPeak Plus has a 2 amp limit in the storage feature.

RC Qualifier
    The EZPeak Plus has a 2 amp limit in the storage feature.
    Not a favorite feature of mine, it works though. It's seems "funner" to zip tie my Spartan's lipos in the brother's P2de and let it rip, constantly checking voltages though!
    PM for info.....

With a little bit of soldering and an adjustable LiPo alarm you can build a very capable discharger yourself. I went a little overboard with this one, but one can be made out of automotive light bulbs too.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the help guys!

RC Qualifier
    Close to it...
    So if I'm not exactly sure how much charge is left in my battery when I'm done running for the day should I automatically discharge it then do a storage charge, OR could I just plug it in and hit storage charge immediately. Say if the battery is still 70% charged and I want it between 50-60% would the storage charge feature on my traxxas EZ peak plus take it down to 50-60%? Thanks

The storage feature will either discharge it to storage or charge it to storage... no need to bring it below and back up.

RC Qualifier
    The storage feature will either discharge it to storage or charge it to storage... no need to bring it below and back up.
    Awesome glad to hear it, Thanks as always Jimmie!

RC Racer
    Will the EZ Plus 6, get it to storage voltage as quickly as possible? The way I see it, i'll always most likely run the battery to Low voltage in the RC, then half charge to storage, then complete the charge 30mins before i'm getting ready to go have a bash again..

Also Traxxas says 30days, you say 30hrs. I know you're probably a bit of a perfectionist.. But for the average joe on LiPo's is 30days doable?

I wouldn't... the longer a pack is at full voltage the shorter its life span will be.

The EZPeak+ is not that quick at discharging... I think its limit is 2 amps, way less than what the battery is capable of. I am pretty sure that the charger is limited to 2 amps for charging in that mode as well.

Your "most likely" scenario is how I use my packs as well... for the most part. There are times where I need to discharge out of the RC due to breakage or weather so I made a discharger for those times:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...scharger-ideas

RC Racer
    So with that 'most likely' scenario in mind. Is it fair to say that the EZ Peak + isn't a good charger. Seeing that 90% will be activating the storage charge feature after every bash. I've just rec'd my LiPo's from SPC tonight in the mail. So I'll be able to confirm if the EZ Peak +, is able to take it to storage charge at the max 6amps, or if it is indeed limited to 2amp.. (which will suck if it is)

I wouldn't... the longer a pack is at full voltage the shorter its life span will be.

The EZPeak+ is not that quick at discharging... I think its limit is 2 amps, way less than what the battery is capable of. I am pretty sure that the charger is limited to 2 amps for charging in that mode as well.

Your "most likely" scenario is how I use my packs as well... for the most part. There are times where I need to discharge out of the RC due to breakage or weather so I made a discharger for those times:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...scharger-ideas

I didn't even realize that this was a limitation for chargers at first... as mine does not have this limitation. I am not sure even why it would be there... doesn't make sense to me. I can see why there would be a limit for discharging to the proper levels for the storage mode, but not for charging to the proper levels.

I can set mine for up to 20 amps in storage mode... it will charge at 20 amps or discharge at up to 20 watts without any external devices attached to it. It can discharge at up to 20 amps with the proper device to burn off the extra energy. It can even discharge your LiPo's into a car battery if you want.

I have the iCharger 206B powered by a power supply I built that charges through a ParaBoard so I can charge up to 6 batteries at once. This set up cost me around $175.
    Last edited by Jimmie Neutron; 01-09-2014 at 06:57 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by thedoc46 View Post
    So with that 'most likely' scenario in mind. Is it fair to say that the EZ Peak + isn't a good charger. Seeing that 90% will be activating the storage charge feature after every bash. I've just rec'd my LiPo's from SPC tonight in the mail. So I'll be able to confirm if the EZ Peak +, is able to take it to storage charge at the max 6amps, or if it is indeed limited to 2amp.. (which will suck if it is)
    I have 2 EZ PEAK. They aren't a bad charger just limited. Yes trying to get storage from a full LIPO charge stinks and is time consuming but it does it. I am no expert like Jimmie so I deal with what I got. For me the EZ PEAK has been GREAT. Both over a year old with 9 lipos on hand and not 1 problem.