RC Enthusiast

Help with gearing

Hello all. I am getting a 1/16 Fiesta roller and switching motor and electronics over between this and my 1/16 Merv. My set up will be (2) SPC 2500mAh 30C 7.4V batteries(running through a parallel connector), Castle SV2 esc, Castle 5700kv motor and 26mm tires(65mm overall diameter) in this on road build.
    What pinion/spur should be my starting point? The factory pinion/spur is 28/45 leaving a 8.10 ratio as noted in the manual, but that is with a brushed motor.
    Looking for a great balance between acceleration and top end, not all out speed runs. Running in local small-medium parking lots(unprepped).
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    1/10 Rally, 1/16 BB Merv, 1/16 BB Rally

RC Racer
    I just switched a fiesta roller to 380vxl. Stock gearing for rally is 28/45 for either motor. I now have a 4370kv motor, and slighty larger od with 32mm wheels. I am trying a 28/48 setup. I have a 1/10 100amp esc and 380 size 6250kv motor waiting to go if this doesn't work out. Just gonna keep an eye on temps. With the 6250kv setup I will start with 25/50 gearing and go from there... With your esc/motor and stock diameter wheels stock gearing may work good, especially if you have cooling fan/heatsink. Or a little safer with 28/48. I think 25/45 might be too low and reduce speed too much. I ran mine at 28/45 with the taller wheels, cooling fan, in a parking lot and motor didn't get hot. but that was a stock motor. I will try the 28/48,4370kv, stock esc tomorrow and see how it does.

RC Enthusiast
    I appreciate the feedback. With the 28 pinion/48 spur combo, that would put the final ratio at 8.64. After taking apart my Merv, I found out that it has a 30 pinion and 45 spur(7.56 final), but has the Canyon AT 2.2 tires(OD 98mm). I am happy with the performance of it, so what would my gearing be for the same performance(more importantly, no heat issues) for tires 33mm smaller? Any formula I can use to factor in tire diameter to get the math correct?
    Still would like to see what you come up with on your next run, gorilla2891. Thanks again for the input.

RC Racer
    Wow! 30/45! and those tires! IS that with the same motor esc you posted? That is some tall ratio! 7.56 not including wheels, if your combo handled that in a merv, you should have no issues in a rally with smaller lighter wheels. You should buy a chassis and build a ralley so you can have the merv too. I built my rally back from a parts car for my merv to a 98% new rally.. then had to buy some stuff for it...

RC Enthusiast
    Yep. 30/45. Drove it around up hills, around parking lots, on the beach, speed runs, wheelies, back flips no issues(all steel driveshafts). That was the whole goal all along. Keep the Merv in tact, and only switch out the esc, receiver and antenna wire. I have esc and receiver Velcroed.
    I literally bought a Fiesta roller(no wheels/tires, electronics); already had a Castle 5700 motor, Hitec HS-85MG servo and bearings for the rockers laying around. I WAS going to convert a Grave Digger to a Rally, but by the time I bought front diff, driveshafts, arms, links, body mounts, front bumper I could just buy a new Roller and start fresh. That is what led me to my next build.
    I can't post pics on this forum, but I can send you pics through email if you would like to shoot me your email, gorilla and any one else.

RC Racer
    You can find good deals on radios/receivers. I had 2 sets laying around. Not 2.4 though. One less thing to swap over. I had a stock motor/esc laying around. But now, of course, I have upgrades waiting... Your 5700 motor, thats a 380 size? You can link pics from photobucket and I think a few other places...[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by gorilla2891; 12-15-2013 at 12:10 PM.

RC Enthusiast

RC Enthusiast

RC Racer
    Got the pic. If you click on the pick you want there is a shared link to the right you can copy and control v to attachment to a reply on here. You have a big block(540) size motor. Which makes sense to the gearing you indicated. So maybe disregard my suggestions. I run the smallblock brushless. Sorry, I did not see the 1/10 big block merv in your tagline till now

Last edited by gorilla2891; 12-15-2013 at 08:40 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the help. I'll get another thread going on my Fiesta Build now that I can finally post pics.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by gorilla2891 View Post
    You can find good deals on radios/receivers. I had 2 sets laying around. Not 2.4 though. One less thing to swap over. I had a stock motor/esc laying around. But now, of course, I have upgrades waiting... Your 5700 motor, thats a 380 size? You can link pics from photobucket and I think a few other places...[IMG][/IMG]
    Yooo i definitely like how you have your car set up! I'm definitely digging the wheels.... sorry to say I might have to mimic your style
    ;-) minus the stickers... Im shooting for some black rims... you definitely made me a fan and I'm going to order it I should have my car by next weekend and I will keep you updated...

RC Racer
    Cool. That is just the body that came with car. I have a boss body to paint. The wheels will go with that or Tbird body. I recommend hpi 4513 tires over the tamiya ones. They are lower profile and hook better. The tamiya tires would probably be ok if taped. Which I didn't... Here is a pick with hpi lp32/35 wheels and tires. Grip, not drift

Last edited by gorilla2891; 12-28-2013 at 03:40 PM.