Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

Hobbywing SC8 up in smoke!

Well my ESC let out the magic smoke last night after about 5 min in the light snow and I'm not real happy. I only had maybe 10-13 runs on this setup, which is as follows: Hobbywing SC8 esc, Tenshock 401v2 3800kv geared 12-54, SPC 6500 65c 3s batt.
    Not sure what to replace it with or why it took a crap so soon. The only thing that I didn't have quit right was the soldering job to the motor( not very good solder joints) but I wouldn't think that would have caused the esc to burn up. Looking for budget suggestions for replacement for and new esc and possibly motor too. It still spins freely put if something is possibly wrong with it too, I don't wanna risk another ESC. What do you guys recommend for my money pit?

RC Competitor
    Is this any good? I'm starting to feel foolish continuing to dump money in this thing. Just looking for a cheap but reliable solution to get me back up and running again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TORO-12T-Bru...item3383cd4f52

RC Qualifier
    Any kind of warranty replacement from Hobbywing? Maybe try the Mamba Monster 2? I have been getting by with stock just fine. I bought myself another rc instead of motor/esc upgrade.
    The message above or below may or may not be true

Quote Originally Posted by jbgmc View Post
    cheap but reliable
    A lot of times in this hobby those two words contradict. I think people end up spending a lot more money on cheap parts that fail, rather than getting a quality setup to begin with.

Looking at that's ESC manual, I didn't see it say anywhere that it was waterproof, that is likely what fried it.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Competitor

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    A lot of times in this hobby those two words contradict. I think people end up spending a lot more money on cheap parts that fail, rather than getting a quality setup to begin with.

Looking at that's ESC manual, I didn't see it say anywhere that it was waterproof, that is likely what fried it.
    Yes, its supposed to be waterproof,says it right on the esc. I should of specified its the WP sc8. I also have a shroud over the chassis, no snow really got in anyways.

I was under the impression that Hobbywing was was good stuff.
    Last edited by jbgmc; 12-09-2013 at 07:40 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I have a couple of these esc now, and I have had no problems with them. Here she is today after a bash session
    This is my shrouds first run. I have taken the garden hose to it countless times. To clean it off after bashing
    Last edited by T4KT1KZ; 12-09-2013 at 08:25 PM.

RC Competitor

Same shroud I have. I wonder if if I just got a defective esc. The more I look the more I wonder if I should just pick up another wp sc8. I would like to change out the motor however for a lower kv. Maybe something in the high 2000 to low 3000 range. Mine always seemed to run hot and be lacking in low end torque.
    Last edited by jbgmc; 12-09-2013 at 09:14 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Same shroud I have. I wonder if if I just got a defective esc. The more I look the more I wonder if I should just pick up another wp sc8. I would like to change out the motor however for a lower kv. Maybe something in the high 2000 to low 3000 range. Mine always seemed to run hot and be lacking in low end torque.
    What batteries do u run? And What motor?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by T4KT1KZ View Post
    What batteries do u run? And What motor?
    See original post.

RC Qualifier
    very recently when i was updating my HW usb link firmware, as an update was just recently released i came across a warning on teh HW site regarding Tenshock motors.

here is the article as i found it

http://www.falconsekido.com/blogs/ne...enshock-motors

Not sure if that has anything to do with it? are you running that firmware?

V3.3

RC Qualifier
    I'm very happy with this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310669676103...84.m1436.l2649

Is you gear down no problem with 3s. But run real good on 2s also...
    Rally
    Slash 4x4 Platinum x2
    Stampede 4x4 VXL

RC Qualifier
    Well my ESC let out the magic smoke last night after about 5 min in the light snow and I'm not real happy. I only had maybe 10-13 runs on this setup, which is as follows: Hobbywing SC8 esc, Tenshock 401v2 3800kv geared 12-54, SPC 6500 65c 3s batt.
    Not sure what to replace it with or why it took a crap so soon.The only thing that I didn't have quit right was the soldering job to the motor( not very good solder joints) but I wouldn't think that would have caused the esc to burn up. Looking for budget suggestions for replacement for and new esc and possibly motor too. It still spins freely put if something is possibly wrong with it too, I don't wanna risk another ESC. What do you guys recommend for my money pit?

You may want to work on that first, or have a shop do this in the future. Unless you like replacing electronics.
    Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Pick 2.

RC Competitor
    I will next time my soldering iron just won't get hot enough for heavy gauge wires. You think bad solder joints are to blame? I'm sure it added more resistance.

It was defective. Call up and have them send you a warranty replacement. Dont buy another, if they will not stand by a defective one...
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

They have a 180 day warranty dude and they are good esc's and lots of people swear by them.everyone gets a lemon now and agian.......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Competitor
    Shot them an email, we'll see.
    I'm not gonna pay to mail back an esc all the way to china and hope they return a working one. If they honor any kind of customer service we'll see if they just ship out a new one to me.

I got my fingers crossed for you that they hurry up and send you a new one My hobbywing and tenshock combo has been super sweet in the last 16 months on 2s and 3s.............peace

RC Competitor

Well after corresponding via email, I was surprised at the level of customer service so far and went ahead put it in the mail. I will let you guys know how it goes, got my fingers crossed they just send me a new esc. $12 in shipping beats $70 for a new one I suppose..

On another note I've decided to replace the Tenshock motor with a Tacon of a lower kv rating than the 3800kv I have now. It ran hot and had less torque than the stock 3500kv Velineon motor it seemed. My question is what kv should I go with for bashing? I only run 3s these days. I am debating between 3500 to 3000kv. I want lower temps and more usable low end, figured I gear between 12-16p with stock spur. What's your opinions?
    Last edited by jbgmc; 12-13-2013 at 10:44 PM.

RC Qualifier
    3000Kv should be good, as long as it's a 4-pole motor...
    Rally
    Slash 4x4 Platinum x2
    Stampede 4x4 VXL

RC Competitor
    I used these a lot too, smoked one also
    it looks like the specs hobbywing gives are bit on the high side...
    Ran it with 2700kv motor from the SC8 set on 2 and 3s for more than a year without a single problem, should handle up to 4s with < 3000kv, 1 run to try on 4s and esc was fried within a few minutes...
    According to the hobbywing specs it should handle up to:
    4s with < 3000kv
    3s with < 4000kv
    2s with < 6000kv

Seen somewhere before that it is more like:
    4s < 2500kv
    3s < 3500kv
    2s < 5500kv

RC Competitor
    What would be a good starting point for gearing with 3000kv motor on 3s? Obviously would want the most gear while still keeping temps in check.

RC Qualifier
    I would say a 16-18 pinion to start on a 54T Spur. Evaluate your temps and go from there. If the esc is getting hotter then the motor you are under geared. and if the motor is getting hotter then the ESC you are over geared. Ideally you want to balance the temps on both.

RC Qualifier
    R/C Calculations is a good resource.

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

After using this, 3s should do good at using a 15t = 45mph.

But that all depends if its a Tacon or a Tekin motor.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by yonzariq View Post
    I used these a lot too, smoked one also
    it looks like the specs hobbywing gives are bit on the high side...
    Ran it with 2700kv motor from the SC8 set on 2 and 3s for more than a year without a single problem, should handle up to 4s with < 3000kv, 1 run to try on 4s and esc was fried within a few minutes...
    According to the hobbywing specs it should handle up to:
    4s with < 3000kv
    3s with < 4000kv
    2s with < 6000kv

Seen somewhere before that it is more like:
    4s < 2500kv
    3s < 3500kv
    2s < 5500kv
    I run my 1415 2400kv with the SC8 on 4S now for a few months almost daily without incident. I run 2-2S 5600mah 50C in series. Wow its a blast. Haven't had a single problem with my ESC.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the info guys. I have a 15t pinion I have laying around I'll start with. Now to just hope Hobbywing sends me a replacement esc.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the info guys. I have a 15t pinion I have laying around I'll start with. Now to just hope Hobbywing sends me a replacement esc.
    keep us posted on the whole warranty process.. Im sure a lot of us are interested in how it works out...

RC Competitor
    Okay, will do.

Yeah dude keep us posted and I would have gone for the 3400kv for 3s.my 3500kv sc411 on 3s running 15t pinion 54t spur does not go over 164f.but this is all about the esc and I hope its a sweet out come for you.....peace

RC poster
    I got an sc8 in a trade. When I got it it was in a venom gambler with tacon 2 pile 3400. Next it went in my mad force with a 4274. 2000kv on 4 s. now it's in my pede with a castle 3800. 4 pole on 2 or 3s. So at its awesome and I will be buying a new one after Christmas.

Sweet man I am glad you love the esc most people only talk about them when it goes wrong.........peace.....Ps welcome to the forum dude
    Last edited by spenniepoos; 12-17-2013 at 02:27 PM.

RC Racer
    I just (4 hours ago) installed a WP SC8 and 3660-2600kv Tacon in my p4de. Running 12/54 gears on a 5000 mAh 8.4V NiMH I had to turn my TX's EPA down to 60% just to keep it on the ground. With my radio set at 100% and the ESC punch set at 1 it will still pull the front end off of the ground and has speeds of 30++ mph. After 3 battery pack I am impressed. The SC8 did not get even close to warm. Neither did the Tacon.
    I could not imagine 3800-4000 kv performance.

Sounds like some ones enjoying their new setup and the torque off that motor must be sick dude......peace

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by KC5H View Post
    I just (4 hours ago) installed a WP SC8 and 3660-2600kv Tacon in my p4de. Running 12/54 gears on a 5000 mAh 8.4V NiMH I had to turn my TX's EPA down to 60% just to keep it on the ground. With my radio set at 100% and the ESC punch set at 1 it will still pull the front end off of the ground and has speeds of 30++ mph. After 3 battery pack I am impressed. The SC8 did not get even close to warm. Neither did the Tacon.
    I could not imagine 3800-4000 kv performance.
    Try with a 3s LiPo...
    Rally
    Slash 4x4 Platinum x2
    Stampede 4x4 VXL

+1 Yeah it will blow you away for sure dude it has nice specs .....peace

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Sounds like some ones enjoying their new setup and the torque off that motor must be sick dude......peace
    Loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sverige View Post
    Try with a 3s LiPo...
    I tried 3s yesterday and have come to realize 2 things, #1- at high speeds my driving skills suck and #2 I need to up-grade my drive shafts.

Tekno, here I come.
    Last edited by KC5H; 12-22-2013 at 08:43 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by KC5H View Post
    Loving it.

I tried 3s yesterday and have come to realize 2 things, #1- at high speeds my driving skills suck and #2 I need to up-grade my drive shafts.

Tekno, here I come.

+1 to Tekno!. Love mine. Both Trucks. If I could recommend one thing its to grab a few spare parts right off the bat, will cost an extra $20 but will save you down the road should you break a front steering block, or the metal piece in the dogbone.

I have only ever broke two things on my Tekno M6 sets. The front steering block was the darn curbs fault.
    The Tekno's Kung-Fu is strong, but the Curbs, concrete proved stronger. Lesson learned. Secondly I learned that the Barrel in the CVD's is the weak point. They will never come apart, because of the captured set up, but everytime I pull them apart they are broken in half. Tekno will send you new ones when they break calling it a MFG Defect, but its better to just have a set then wait for these parts to ship out, as they are like $6 bucks each.

It will save you big time if ever you break one, and Tekno will most likely send you another replacement for free. They replaced mine no questions asked. Their CS is the best I have experienced.

1. TKR6856 M6 CV Rebuild Kit (for 6851X, 6852X, 1951X, 2210X, others)
    2. TKR6837 Steering Blocks For M6 Driveshafts (Slash/Stmpd 44, L/R)

I have never broken a rear carrier. The set comes with two sets, so even if you do break one. There is another set you can use.

RC Qualifier
    Have also broken Tekno steering block. After the second broke I changed to XO-1 steering blocks 6439. Paired with 6832X. The Tekno plastic hex are no good. Get the alu hex TKR1654X before any wheels get rounded. Or 17mm...
    Rally
    Slash 4x4 Platinum x2
    Stampede 4x4 VXL

Have also broken Tekno steering block. After the second broke I changed to XO-1 steering blocks 6439. Paired with 6832X. The Tekno plastic hex are no good. Get the alu hex TKR1654X before any wheels get rounded. Or 17mm...
    So are you saying you can use the Tekno drive shafts with the X0-1 carriers? If so that would be awesome. The plastic Tekno carriers is what scares me away.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Sverige View Post
    +1 to this.

I use the 17mm Tekno adapters on my P4DE and the 12mm Tekno M6 aluminum adapters on my Slash MT. I never even used the Tekno plastic hex's. Especially if you are running on 3S+ power. Aluminum or 17mm is a necessity, or like you said you will round out the hex on your rim and destroy it. Decently priced too. Both work very well.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    So are you saying you can use the Tekno drive shafts with the X0-1 carriers? If so that would be awesome. The plastic Tekno carriers is what scares me away.
    Yes, front. Not rear. But no need to change the rear...
    Rally
    Slash 4x4 Platinum x2
    Stampede 4x4 VXL