Thread: Slammed Slayer.

RC Champion

Slammed Slayer.

If only I could get it lower!!!!!

Last edited by Powerman; 12-09-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Try zip tying the rockers together to limit them from going higher.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Champion
    How would that work? That is as high as it will go. Currently 1/2in clearance. Not sure how its gonna ride yet. Hoping to make it what it aint.
    Last edited by Powerman; 12-09-2013 at 03:29 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerman View Post
    How would that work?
    Compress the shocks and rockers to the height you wish then cable/zip tie them together to eliminate them being able to come back up
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Champion
    Sarcasm is bighting me in the rear!!!! I haven't seen a Slayer this low yet. Using the turn buckles I can make it scrape if I want.

RC Champion

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    when I had my REVO-E GT8 it was slammed about 1/2 inch less with slick buggy wheels/tires on a PF8 body (onroad).

you can get it even lower if you put the blue rubber shock limiter inside the shock.
    Last edited by humayrayakongkinaon; 12-09-2013 at 04:16 PM.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Champion
    I am planning on doing onroad as well. Nice ride You have captured more of the style of what I want to do. I want something that's not a SC look. CG is a little high for onroad but I will give it a try. How does your car handle? Are you using anything to support the front of the body like a foam bumper? Would love to see more pics for ideas.

it runs very good, just not great with tight turns due to body roll (heavy), over steer a lot, other than that it was a great car. didn't go any further tuning and put it back to a REVO-E MT. always like onroad car. when I start building MT trucks, its set up to run on the street lol. as for the front, I got the idea from 1/16 rally with the mix and match parts I gather around from XO-1 foam bumper/body mounts then cut some aluminum sheet bolted it onto the skid plate, bend it flat to support the XO foam bumper.

RC Champion
    Thanks for the parts list. I was thinking about using the scalpel body from jconcepts. Im hoping to get some good speeds out of this car. Im geared 16/36 on the slayer tranny. Have a 18tm for an engine. Nothing special. If I like how it handles I will try a 21tm with 18/34 gearing. Im just not sure if its gonna be fast enough for what I want. CG is too high and its a heavy car.

the scalpel is a perfect body, a guy from XO-1 thread building an XO-1 GT8 with that body running 4s and hoping to run it later on 8s set-up.

I also have XO-1 GT8 and Rally GT8, see my sig?

RC Champion
    What Kind of speed can I expect out of a slayer? Any Ideas to shave off more weight? I don't want to make an investment in to a new engine or anything like that. CB's and spurs are cheap. Essentially I have built this car out of all spare parts and components I had purchased for other cars. With the temps getting colder I got bored so decided to see what I could do with a car that otherwise I have no use for. I original obtained the slayer a few years ago in a trade for a stampede XL-5. I tried turning it in to a revo but with the slayer tranny it was gutless. So it set on the shelf for another year. If it doesn't produce for speed runs than it will probably be stripped and sold for parts. I could surely use the money for builds I am more dedicated too IE: Slutsler. I can drop in my 21tm and go a little higher with the gearing. But other than that, I am at a loss for how to get more out of it.

even with mine being converted to electric it was heavy but not as heavy as with being a nitro though, it weight around 10.5lbs fully loaded. I don't know how fast it was going but, if I have to guess around 55-60mph, geared 20T/34T. after that, I wanted something much lighter car, that's when I purchase a Rally1/10 roller and turn it into a street machine lol and that didn't stop me there for building another 1/8 XO-1.

at one point when I had my Revo 3.3 and I geared it 20t/38t and the motor just not liking it, takes time to get the rpm up

RC Champion
    Hearing that you can only get 55-60 out of it is disappointing. I was hoping for much higher speeds than that. The Slutsler is hitting high 70's on average with 24/68 using the GPS on my phone. Although it weighs just over 5 pounds. It may be a case of just putting the slayer back to stock and put it on the MP. Im not a big fan of the 4tec or jato. And I would like to stay nitro just for nostalgia.
    I hate to say it but for speed, Brushless is the way to go. My Modded Bandit on 3S will dust a Jato/4tec. Might be time to look for an XO-1 roller. I have a Tekin 1/8 system that needs a home. Used to be in my old slash before I sold it.

yeah, turn it back to what it was or better yet a REVO. I have sold mine back then and regret selling it so, I end up building a new one but this time its way better than the first one, its got better tranny mod (was not impress with the 2nd gear lock), Summit drive shafts, and E-Revo diffs.

REVO-E

XO-1 GT8 and Rally GT8

I dig up my vid.....the weight of the car helps stable the speed run....
    here it is.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctpSQVauyA8

RC Champion
    That's moving along pretty good. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get out to run mine yet. Cold and snow on the East Coast. Yet another advantage of electric. I may find myself do the conversion too before its said and done.
    Question? Can a brushless motor be used on a revo/slayer tranny and still shift? Do you have to lock it in 2nd?
    Last edited by Powerman; 12-13-2013 at 11:11 AM.

It will still shift, but the issue is the OWB inside the tranny which allows it to do some freewheeling. Put it in reverse and nothing happens other than spin the input shaft. If you want to use the motor for braking and reverse you'll need to lock the gears.
    The Super Derecho

yes you can (probably wont last long) but, you have to keep the mechanical brake and no reverse. with 2nd gear lock, the motor does the braking and reverse plus, it takes some weights off the truck by removing the first gear and mechanical components/servo.

RC Champion
    So whats the benefit of turning a revo/slayer from nitro to electric? Unless you are just trying to make it what it aint. Be better off to start out with a E-Revo to begin with. IMO. The future for my slayer is beginning to look pretty dismal. Glad I can use the shell and tires on other cars.

I like what I've done to mine, I think I accomplish making it to withstand the BL power and probably even better. all the weak parts of a nitro are the diffs and tranny, the driveshafts are too but you can get them later.

here's what I did to my nitro tranny
    34t high speed pinion from XO-1 bore to 6mm

Tekno Hardened steel 22T pinion

RC Champion
    OH. Don't get me wrong. I think your cars look/perform great judging by what I have seen. And I totally support modders. I am just not willing to invest that much effort or $$$ in to a Slayer. I will stick with nitro on this model. However I would like to build a nice onroad car. And this is giving me ideas for that build. Later on, like after Christmas I may start on a brushless on road build. Just not using the slayer/revo chassis due to the high CG. The XO-1 is beginning to look much more suitable for what I want. Judging by your pics anyways. Plus the revo/slayer is heavy. I can get more speed with less wear if I use a lighter chassis.
    I was hoping to take this slayer that's just collecting dust and turn it in to something cool. My thought was really onroad and with it being AWD it might be able to drift a little. But I think the weight and high CG will limit its capabilities. I think what I have done so far (IMO) looks cool. But it kinda like a Camaro with a 6cyl. (A cool looking turd).
    Thanks for the input you have provided. Has really been helpful in bringing me to my decision for the next build. Im just glad I didn't drop a ton of $$$ on the slayer. Everything I bought can be used on other cars that I like better. I will give it to one of my kids to tear up.
    I have built a 2 wheel drive nitro that's fast.

This started out a N.Rusty (still is really) and I turned it in to a N Slash a long time before the N slash became available. AKA Slutsler.(Look thru the pics on photobucket to see the full build) Its fast. Im just bored with it since I have spent the last couple years perfecting it. And its limited to how fast it can go. Once I hit 70 it becomes very light in the front and tends to want to float away.
    SO, XO-1 it is. Your GT8 has me .
    Last edited by Powerman; 12-14-2013 at 07:56 AM.