RC Qualifier

Motor Heat Sink Mod

This is the final Mod I wanted to do with my truck. I have been using the Castle fans over the years, but I really don't think they cools things down that much. I looked at other heat sinks, but coulldn't find any that would fit the ribbing on my Castle 2200kv motor.

For a heat sink to work well you want it to do three things. 1) pull the heat away from the sourse, 2) spred out the heat, and 3) move the heat away from the heat sink. There are better ways to do this then how I did, but this was something I could make at home with common household supplies.

This is made from a 1 1/2 inch brass sink drain pipe, and 1/2 inch copper water pipe.

These are Novak fans I got from RC Boca

And, here is everything hooked up a ready to go. I also installed telemetry, so I could keep an eye on things better.

If any of you are interested in making one of these; I can tell you how and, what few things to look out for.

RC Champion
    LOL That's got to be the craziest idea for a motor cooler ive ever seen. Let us know how it works? How much does it weigh?
    Four novac fans should definetly keep it cool. My only concern would be if the bec can handle running four fans.

RC Qualifier
    Wow I really really like that. I would like to know please Regular Dude how to make my own. I am severly interested as I would like to keep my temps as low as possible. Please pm me or explain to me how I can have one of my own ! ! Thank you soo much !

RC Qualifier
    Interesting & ingenious mod, but just how hot were your temps getting that you need that level of cooling?
    Always get a 2nd Opinion!

RC Qualifier
    I would of rather had a metal fin heat sink, but couldn't find any that would fit my Castle 2200kv motor. My heat sink is surprisingly light for not being made of plastic. It does weigh more than the Castle Blower, but it (so far under test conditions) cools alot better too. All in all though, it's pretty light.

Normally, I run between 140 & 160 degrees (I did fry a new motor earlier this year). I would like to be about 120 degrees. The reason is; (up to a point) the cooler your motor runs the less current is needs and uses. This puts less wear on your batteries and ESC.

The fan Castle uses on their Motor coolers and Mamba Monsters pull 140mAmps for each fan. One of these NovaK fans pulls 25mAmps, so I'm actually pulling less current (100mAmps) with 4 smaller fans than using 1 bigger fan (140mAmps). Plus by using 4 well placed fans, I should get better cooling running; and I should cool down faster between runs.

UsMan, as soon as I get a little bit of time I'll give a Reply on how to make one, and the one little thing to look out for.
    Last edited by ReglarDude; 12-09-2013 at 08:00 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Thank you soo much. When my Emaxx is up and running like to max it out and enjoy its full potential.......and that can make my motor really heat up fast. Even with this cold weather here in upstate new York....my motor still heats up to the point where I need to take percautions not to fry it up. I like to do speed runs up and down my street and that really spikes the temps on my motor. I currently have an aftermarket heatsink with a fan, but even with that....the temps flirt with numbers the motor can't handle. With that heatsink I think my problems will be resolved....so I really appreciate your help ! ! ! Thanks ! !

RC Qualifier
    Before I explain how to make a heat sink, let me tell you guys a few things. The weight of my heat sink is 1.35oz...I thought that was pretty good. Next, I found out from Castle that the Mamba & Mamba2 can supply 3amps of continuious current. I also found out, what the average servo current needs are. From what I see, my Mamba2 should be able to handle 4 small fans easily.

Okay, the first thing you have to do is: go to Home Depot and get a 1 1/2in metal drain extension, a 1/2in stick of rigid copper watter pipe, a 1 foot piece of 1 3/4in wooden dow rod, and a small box of small brads (small nails). I couldn't get a foot long piece of a 1 3/4in dow rod at my store, so I had to get a dow rod that was 3ft long with a diameter of 2inches.

Your also, going to need good soldering irons, solder, and most importantly a belt sander. There will be other things you will need too, but they are easy to get, and I'll let you know what they are as we need them. The supplies I metioned thus far will get you started, and the tools I mention are the "must haves" for this project.

What I would like to do here is give help, and explain things as needed; instead of going through everything, and no one uses the information. I wasn't able to take pictures as I went this time, so I thought this would be better than making another heat sink just to take pictures.
    Last edited by ReglarDude; 12-13-2013 at 03:28 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the update, I hope to make my own, anything else I may need to know?

RC Qualifier
    Usman, when you get the above materials from Home Depot & solder irons from a good electronic store, you let me know & I'll give you some more steps.

RC Qualifier
    Thank you soo much, that modification is awesome ! ! ! Its just what I needed. The thing is that I have a standard 60 watt soldering iron and the tip is a point.......I had the same exact soldering iron and I used it and what happened to the tip was that it essentially wore away to a flat surface...and once it did that it made soldering soo much easier......but it wore completely down so now with this new one I have to get it so it wears down to a flat plain at the tip to solder with....it is soo much easier to solder with a flat tip....and I just don't know where I can but a flat soldering iron tip that will work with my soldering iron which is this one :
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/60-Watt-Sold...item58a67fd6ef
    Anywho....awesome mod ! ! Totally awesome and Helpful to keep temperatures down ! ! !

RC Qualifier
    The soldering iron you have doesn't put out enough heat for this project. It's not a bad iron for soldering electronic components together, but not enough heat for heavier duty work. If you're going to do soldering, the solder irons a person should have is a Weller WP35, a Weller WP60, and a Weller W100P. With these 3 irons and a assortment of tips, a person can do most hobby soldering jobs. However for this project, all you need is the above mentioned Weller W100P with its' standard tip. I'm sure if you Google one you'll see it and can order it online, but that's what you need for this job...the Weller W100P.

P.S. The two solder irons I show you in my above picture are: Left - WP65 (standard tip) & Right - W100P (standard tip)
    Last edited by ReglarDude; 12-14-2013 at 03:28 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, I'll order a Weller100P later on today, is that the best one mentioned out of all of them? Will it allow me to do all soldering jobs such as soldering on new traxxas connectors and such forth or will it be too powerful? Thanks once again ! !

RC Qualifier
    I did forget to mention that I do also have just some standard 80watt and another 100 watt soldering iron that I havn't used yet, because I thought they might be too powerful to solder basic things like connectors, but maybe im wrong and should start using them, espically for this awesome mod ! !

RC Qualifier
    I use my WP35 (with various small tips) for circuit boards & non-ground plained components. I use my WP60 ( with a 3/16 flat tip) for my Traxxas battery connectors (holding the pins with wood, of course). I use my W100P (with a 1/4 flat tip) for Castle bullet connectors & it just happened to be the only iron I used for this heat sink.

When you get all your stuff together, let me know. Also, don't forget about a table top belt sander. If you don't have one, or you can't buy one; maybe you know someone, or have access to one. You have to have one, though, to use for the next step.
    Last edited by ReglarDude; 12-14-2013 at 02:43 PM.