Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jws1982 View Post
    Yes. Put a good quality 2s lipo on it, and it'll provide lots of power. Losi was smart to use it on the 4x4 SCTE RTR. I believe they added the extra 400kv just because short course racing is usually restricted to 2s.
    No, it is 400KV more because the magnets are smaller/weaker than in the Castle 2400 and so don't generate as much back-EMF.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ta_man View Post
    the magnets are smaller/weaker than in the Castle 2400 and so don't generate as much back-EMF.
    What dose that mean in terms of performance??
    Slash 4x4 MMP/2800kv

Slash 4x4 LGC MM2/2650kv

As far as I know it means less torque and higher top speed.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

No, it is 400KV more because the magnets are smaller/weaker than in the Castle 2400 and so don't generate as much back-EMF.
    Not true
    The 2800 is almost the exact same
    I remember seeing a thread, it was in the stampede 2wd forum
    The guy had a 2400 and 2800 and took them apart
    The rotors were the exact same size and he could put the 2400 rotor into the 2800 and vice versa
    Anyways, the 2400 has enough torque as it is, I needed new driveshafts within the first 5 minutes of running
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    The Castle 2400 motor is an RC destroyer, so much power. My stock drive shaft's lasted about the same 15 minute's.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    As far as I know it means less torque and higher top speed.

Either way, the 2800 has lots of torque! Good motor for cheap. So is the 2400. They are both GREAT budget options.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    Not true
    The 2800 is almost the exact same
    I remember seeing a thread, it was in the stampede 2wd forum
    The guy had a 2400 and 2800 and took them apart
    The rotors were the exact same size and he could put the 2400 rotor into the 2800 and vice versa
    Anyways, the 2400 has enough torque as it is, I needed new driveshafts within the first 5 minutes of running
    Sorry, but if you had read that thread completely and looked at the pics closely (when they were originally posted) you would have seen that the magnet segments were clearly different widths on the two different rotors. The diameter (and fitting in each other's cans) is not the issue. Just because the diameters are the same doesn't mean the magnets are the same.

Go back and look at post #5 in that thread where he says:

Quote Originally Posted by Oaks View Post
    The biggest difference was the amount of space between the 1/4 chunk magnets around the rotor.
    That's the key: less magnet on the 2800 means less torque at a given current, and less back-EMF that thus gives the additional 400KV. If you have both motors in front of you at the same time (I have) it is easy to feel the difference in the magnet strength.

It's a shame the pictures are no longer available.

RC Champion
    He's right. I shouldn't have said 'added'. The motor does perform better on 2s vs the 2400 in my testing, so I'm still glad that the magnets are different.

Sorry, but if you had read that thread completely and looked at the pics closely (when they were originally posted) you would have seen that the magnet segments were clearly different widths on the two different rotors. The diameter (and fitting in each other's cans) is not the issue. Just because the diameters are the same doesn't mean the magnets are the same.

Go back and look at post #5 in that thread where he says:

That's the key: less magnet on the 2800 means less torque at a given current, and less back-EMF that thus gives the additional 400KV. If you have both motors in front of you at the same time (I have) it is easy to feel the difference in the magnet strength.

It's a shame the pictures are no longer available.
    Does this mean if we overheat our motor and fry the rotor, that it can be rebuilt with a 2400 rotor for increased torque?

RC Qualifier
    I love this motor. I have both the Losi 2800 (Losb9444) and a Castle 1415 2400kv. Honestly with the same gearing and same battery i cannot notice a performance difference between the two motors.

I run the Losi in my Slash MT. It has performed VERY well. 2S my 7 year old runs it and its perfect for him. Throw in my 3S and its al ot of fun, 4S and she is straight bonkers. For the price I don't think the Losi can be beat. After running these motors side by side, all I can say is if I needed another i would get the Losi, as it is quite a bit cheaper, with no noticeable performance loss over the 2400

Quote Originally Posted by T4KT1KZ View Post
    I love this motor. I have both the Losi 2800 (Losb9444) and a Castle 1415 2400kv. Honestly with the same gearing and same battery i cannot notice a performance difference between the two motors.

I run the Losi in my Slash MT. It has performed VERY well. 2S my 7 year old runs it and its perfect for him. Throw in my 3S and its al ot of fun, 4S and she is straight bonkers. For the price I don't think the Losi can be beat. After running these motors side by side, all I can say is if I needed another i would get the Losi, as it is quite a bit cheaper, with no noticeable performance loss over the 2400
    This is interesting, while I only ran the 2800 in my scte ten I too felt little to no performance difference which surprised me since the losi was much heavier.
    The 2800 is a nice motor.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

For what it's worth, mine is in a slash mt as well. I got mine for 40$, and you sure can't beat the performance i get on just 3s for that.

RC Qualifier
    hmmm I didn't notice any weight difference between them. Next time I have each of them out I will weigh them and compare. Im interested to compare the rotors of both the motors. Ill open them up and take some pictures when i do.

Quote Originally Posted by T4KT1KZ View Post
    hmmm I didn't notice any weight difference between them. Next time I have each of them out I will weigh them and compare. Im interested to compare the rotors of both the motors. Ill open them up and take some pictures when i do.
    LOL, I meant weight of the trucks.
    The losi scte is a heavier rig.
    Sorry about that..
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    I got 4 packs through my MM2/2650kv combo and wow thats the combo for me. I'm a 3s and up type of guy really like my 3s havent went higher yet but 4s is coming this summer but really its so fast now i dont wish to go faster yet. Now i selling my venoline system. Who knows though i hate selling things could look at a roller give it to my nephew

Quote Originally Posted by cmistac View Post
    I got 4 packs through my MM2/2650kv combo and wow thats the combo for me. I'm a 3s and up type of guy really like my 3s havent went higher yet but 4s is coming this summer but really its so fast now i dont wish to go faster yet. Now i selling my venoline system. Who knows though i hate selling things could look at a roller give it to my nephew
    Sold my stock motor system for $125

Now what to do to my trucks
    Last edited by cooleocool; 12-30-2013 at 06:15 PM. Reason: merge
    Slash 4x4 MMP/2800kv

Slash 4x4 LGC MM2/2650kv

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroSmell View Post
    I'm running the losi 2800 in my slash with the hobbywing Xerun 120A and it rocks. I pretty much only run on an indoor clay track so I'm limited to 2s. I'm geared at 17/54 and it walks all over everyone at the track. Even after running it hard for a whole pack my motor only hit 88'F. When I let others drive it they can't even keep it under control. I picked up the motor from a buddy for $40. Best $40 I ever spent on my slash

Oh also I'm running a 6000mah 2s true 60c battery. I tried someone's 30c battery and noticed a loss in power and the battery got kinda hot. Use a higher discharge rate battery when using this motor
    What kind of speeds do you see at that gearing and on 2S? I have the Tenshock 3500 mounted but have an unused Losi 2800 and a Castle 3800 in my parts bin, and thinking of trying the 2800.
    / 16

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmbtr View Post
    What kind of speeds do you see at that gearing and on 2S? I have the Tenshock 3500 mounted but have an unused Losi 2800 and a Castle 3800 in my parts bin, and thinking of trying the 2800.
    your better off using the 3800 than the 2800 if your only planning to run 2s. I find the 2800 is happy running on 3s or 4s.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Champion
    I own 2S and 3S batteries. Is the 2800 doable on 3S? What do you think is better: 2800 or 3S or 3800 on 2S?
    / 16

RC Champion
    2800 on 3s is way more powerful than 3800 on 2s. ...pretty much any motor's going to be more powerful on 3s.

If I was going to be running 3s regularly in a slash 4x4, I'd go with the losi 2800. Both motors would do the job though.

RC Champion
    2800 on 3s is way more powerful than 3800 on 2s. ...pretty much any motor's going to be more powerful on 3s.

If I was going to be running 3s regularly in a slash 4x4, I'd go with the losi 2800. Both motors would do the job though.
    I understand the 3S being more potent. I guess I'm wondering if I will have any temp worries on either.
    / 16

RC Qualifier
    I understand the 3S being more potent. I guess I'm wondering if I will have any temp worries on either.
    If you don't wan temp worries buy the 2800 you will have no temp worries with it until 4s
    Slash 4x4 MMP/2800kv

Slash 4x4 LGC MM2/2650kv

RC Champion
    If you don't wan temp worries buy the 2800 you will have no temp worries with it until 4s
    Thanks. I actually already have it but forgot about it! Found it last night by accident. Any recommendation for gearing?
    / 16

RC Qualifier
    Thanks. I actually already have it but forgot about it! Found it last night by accident. Any recommendation for gearing?
    Right now I'm running mine 15/50 which is close to 18/54.i like it but I want 20/54 because I'm not having heat issues and plenty of torque still.

18/54 is where I would start I'd also get a 20t pinion
    Slash 4x4 MMP/2800kv

Slash 4x4 LGC MM2/2650kv

RC Enthusiast
    Those look sweet!

RC Champion
    Right now I'm running mine 15/50 which is close to 18/54.i like it but I want 20/54 because I'm not having heat issues and plenty of torque still.

18/54 is where I would start I'd also get a 20t pinion
    Even in the summer you're good?
    / 16

Mine never got over 110 on 15/50 on 4s. I haven't run it in summer weather yet, though.

RC Qualifier
    I also haven't drove it above 60F weather but on 3s never broke 100. The motor temps and gearing should be very close to castle 2400 just add a heat sink with thermal paste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slash 4x4 MMP/2800kv

Slash 4x4 LGC MM2/2650kv

RC Champion
    Thanks for helping me. Trying to get back into the hobby.
    / 16

RC Qualifier
    Not a problem love to see guys getting into it and having fun right off the bat no need to buy more then once or expensive stuff just because

Slash 4x4 MMP/2800kv

Slash 4x4 LGC MM2/2650kv

RC Champion
    Should the HobbyWing SC8 120a push it fine?
    / 16

Yep . !

RC Champion
    Should I cover up the exposed bearing on the end cap with Gorilla tape or something?
    / 16

RC Qualifier
    Yea if your running in water otherwise I don't

Slash 4x4 MMP/2800kv

Slash 4x4 LGC MM2/2650kv

Ok, I'm getting really mixed reviews on running the 2800 with 2s lipo. Some people are saying its too slow, and some are saying its great. So which is true? What speed can you expect running the 2800 with stock gearing and 2s? How would the 2800 on 2s lipo compare to the stock VXL on 2s lipo? Sorry for so many questions, I'm just tired of mixed reviews.

RC Champion
    My experience with it on 2s lipo has been good. Use a good quality high -C lipo, and it'll have lots of power (much more than velineon). When geared up on 2s with a good ESC, mine could get to around 45-50mph.

It won't be slow. You just have to gear it up some.

Ok, thanks!! That's just the answer I was looking for!

Mine has never been above 110 on 4s running 5" badlands geared 15/50.

RC Champion
    My experience with it on 2s lipo has been good. Use a good quality high -C lipo, and it'll have lots of power (much more than velineon). When geared up on 2s with a good ESC, mine could get to around 45-50mph.

It won't be slow. You just have to gear it up some.
    What gearing where you running to achieve that?
    / 16

RC Qualifier
    On 2s traxxas battery @15/50 it's similar speed to VXL system
    I have MMP SCT ESC powering mine

Slash 4x4 MMP/2800kv

Slash 4x4 LGC MM2/2650kv

RC Qualifier
    If anyone is interested in looking at the internals of this motor. I made a short video where I open up both the castle 1415 2400kv, and the Losi 2800kv (losb9444).

Also I put this on my Build Page where you can check out pictures of both motors.
    Last edited by T4KT1KZ; 02-28-2014 at 11:34 AM.