Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

The "No Expense Spared" Slash 4x4 *Droolers welcome

I started with a bone stock slash 4x4 one summer day and the bug set right in.

Mod List:
    Castle 1515 // 2200kv motor
    Monster Mamba 2 ESC
    Castle 10a External BEC
    Traxxas LCG Chassis
    Traxxas Aluminum Motor Mount
    Traxxas Aluminum Carriers hubs (Front/Rear)
    Traxxas Aluminum Steering Knuckles
    Traxxas sway bar kit
    Proline Powerstroke Shocks
    Proline Spring kit
    Proline Badlands tires
    Proline Baja Bug body (x3)
    Boca HD offroad GS bearings
    MIP steel outdrives
    RPM A-arms (x4)
    RPM F/R Shock towers
    RPM Adjustable Body mounts
    RPM F/R bumper
    RPM Headlights / Taillights
    Axial LED kit
    Robinson Racing Clutch
    Robinson Racing 54t Hardened Spur
    Robinson Racing 13t/15t/17t/21t/24t Hardened pinions
    Spectrum s6030 Titanium geared servo (278 oz-in)
    STRC Aluminum Steering bellcrank system
    GPM Aluminum Adjustable camber/caster arms
    Futaba 4PLS Remote
    Futaba R304SB 4-channel reciever
    Stainless Steel Screw kit (x2)

Current Build setup:
    Venom 4s 5000mah 35c lipos (x2)
    21t/54t
    5% Drag brake
    External BEC @ 6 volts
    Hard sway bars
    Hard springs all four corners
    shock oil 50wt front
    shock oil 50wt rear
    50k front diff fluid
    30k rear diff fluid

Now for some pics (before the LCG build)

I'll add updated pics as the look of my Slash changes frequently. Its one of the most pampered, abused, fixed, trashed, repaired, bashed, with more money thrown at it then any other slash ( perhaps ) all in the name of fun. Shes popped a few motors, fried a few escs, torched bearings, disintegrated bodies, broken countless diffs/gears/shafts/planetaries and made paper weights of 3 traxxas lipos with no plans of stopping. Enjoy
    Last edited by Finkledbody; 12-07-2013 at 08:37 AM.

RC Champion
    That is amazing!! sounds like you know how to have fun!

Welcome to the forums too! I would welcome you to the addiction but it looks like your well into. Lol.
    Slash 4x4 built from Proline RPM STRC TRX and MIP

Welcome to the forums, lots of people here with the same passion for the slash.
    Everyone here loves pictures and updates.
    Happy slashing.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of this Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have questions please feel free to ask, Remember we are here to help!

Sounds like you have an excellent truck! You could have started with the Ultimate edition. You are beating on this truck had, that is what they are here for. I beat on mine good and she wouldn't have it any other way
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC poster
    My bro like to talk crap about my slash but I can outrun him at the track and mine comes home in one piece everytime. His sc10 4x4 breaks every weekend. I love it

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Bash'n'slash View Post
    That is amazing!! sounds like you know how to have fun!

Welcome to the forums too! I would welcome you to the addiction but it looks like your well into. Lol.
    I sure do like to have fun! Thanks for the warm welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Welcome to the forums, lots of people here with the same passion for the slash.
    Everyone here loves pictures and updates.
    Happy slashing.
    Thanks for the welcome! I'll try my best to keep this thread updated with plenty of pictures and in the future... A quality video

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of this Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have questions please feel free to ask, Remember we are here to help!

Sounds like you have an excellent truck! You could have started with the Ultimate edition. You are beating on this truck had, that is what they are here for. I beat on mine good and she wouldn't have it any other way
    Thanks El Sob! When I went to purchase the slash from my local hobby shop, they didn't have the ultimate available which left me with the base model. As the summer months passed on I was able try out products from Integy, RPM, Traxxas, Proline, etc... In that time I have put on and removed enough parts to build 3 or 4 slashes from the ground up, learning whats worth it and whats not. There is no substitute for personal experience .

Looking back at it all, I would have saved a good deal of money starting with the ultimate. But I wouldn't have nearly as much experience!
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroSmell View Post
    My bro like to talk crap about my slash but I can outrun him at the track and mine comes home in one piece everytime. His sc10 4x4 breaks every weekend. I love it
    Lol, Oh thats to good. Sounds to me like you have the driver mod Your bro should be taking notes!
    Last edited by Finkledbody; 12-09-2013 at 12:45 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Heres a recent picture from 12/5 after a high speed run. Reaching nearly 65 mph, I lost a wheel causing a severe crash resulting in a lost halfshaft and some serious body damage.

Please excuse the surface rust, I live right on the ocean and the air causes the corrosion.

RC Champion
    Lovin it! When is the LCG comin?
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Racer
    Is the motor mount out of a Revo?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    Lovin it! When is the LCG comin?
    The LCG was installed and removed after 30 days of hard racing. The 1515 can is a beast and the traxxas LCG chassis can't take it. After numerous broken skid plates, bulkheads, one driveshaft, and absolute destruction of the front differential; I went back to the HCG while I bulletproof the LCG using RPM, Kingshead, STRC, and a few other brands. This build should be completed in January 2014, parts are arriving in the mail but with christmas at our heels, build time has been stifled. I do look forward to getting the LCG back together as its a night and day difference on the track!
    Last edited by Finkledbody; 12-10-2013 at 08:55 AM.

RC Champion
    The tekno big bone center shaft helps a whole lot to curb the LCG chassis flex. Or maybe a custom chassis brace. That flex caused some significant damage on bad landings for me, especially with the extra weight of the components (MM2/2650/3s for me). The big bone fixed that issue in my truck.

That's one thing that suprises me about traxxas' LCG chassis. They didn't retain the stiffness of the HCG model.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jws1982 View Post
    The tekno big bone center shaft helps a whole lot to curb the LCG chassis flex. Or maybe a custom chassis brace. That flex caused some significant damage on bad landings for me, especially with the extra weight of the components (MM2/2650/3s for me). The big bone fixed that issue in my truck.

That's one thing that suprises me about traxxas' LCG chassis. They didn't retain the stiffness of the HCG model.
    I'll have to add that to the list. My friend currently runs the Teckno Big Bone but has issues with the set screw backing out. He uses red thread locker on it but after roughly an one hour of racing he'll be a rwd only. Has this happened to you? Anyone else have experience with this issue?

My tekno big bone has had 0 issues and I dont use any loctite, then again neither has my 2650 on 6s(a bit over the limit,) however in all fairness my 4wds at this time are just speed run trucks and I didn't care for the 2650 so have since replaced it with a 2400kv..
    [IMG][/IMG]
    This one will be a xmas gift beater so things may be different.
    Let the upgrades begin.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by billy-bones; 12-10-2013 at 11:16 AM. Reason: spelling

RC Enthusiast
    Checking out you parts list and have a question:do you really need the external bec with the mm2 esc? New to this and learning a lot off this forum. Thx

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by chipsterguy View Post
    Checking out you parts list and have a question:do you really need the external bec with the mm2 esc? New to this and learning a lot off this forum. Thx
    What is an external bec?

Welcome to the forums and the ADDICTION! Any questions just ask us were here to help! Your gonna love your traxxas product.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by chipsterguy View Post
    With my current set-up, the external BEC is a must or I run into minor brown-outs while racing. Its mainly due to the spectrum s6030 high-torque servo, it requires a bit more amperage then most servos. Also note; with the aluminum camber/castor arms and aluminum bellcrank system. It puts alot of strain on the servo; You can hear it buzzing constantly

Quote Originally Posted by Bash'n'slash View Post
    What is an external bec?
    The BEC is what powers your servo and is built into the esc. Most internal BEC's cant handle what some servos require for amperage and the cheapest fix is to install the castle external BEC. It bypasses the esc all together drawing power directly from the lipo battery. It works wonders when experiencing brown-outs during power turns.

Thank you for the warm welcome. Ill have plenty of questions to keep the community busy!
    Last edited by Finkledbody; 12-11-2013 at 07:41 AM.

RC Champion
    Ooooh. Alright I understand. Thank you!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by red914slash View Post
    Is the motor mount out of a Revo?
    Its the Traxxas Aluminum motor mount. Forgot to add that to the list!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Finkledbody View Post
    The LCG was installed and removed after 30 days of hard racing. The 1515 can is a beast and the traxxas LCG chassis can't take it. After numerous broken skid plates, bulkheads, one driveshaft, and absolute destruction of the front differential; I went back to the HCG while I bulletproof the LCG using RPM, Kingshead, STRC, and a few other brands. This build should be completed in January 2014, parts are arriving in the mail but with christmas at our heels, build time has been stifled. I do look forward to getting the LCG back together as its a night and day difference on the track!
    Ah I see, I am running the LCG without any upgrades right now and have been babying the truck for this reason...

RC Champion
    I'll have to add that to the list. My friend currently runs the Teckno Big Bone but has issues with the set screw backing out. He uses red thread locker on it but after roughly an one hour of racing he'll be a rwd only. Has this happened to you? Anyone else have experience with this issue?
    Nope, mine's never done that. I installed it with a tiny dab of red loctite. Each time I take it apart, I clean the set screw and hole, and re-apply a dab of red loctite. It's been flawless since I put it in.

The one thing you'll have to do on the LCG chassis is sand down the underside of the front a little. Otherwise the big bone will rub the chassis. You just have to sand a small millimeter section away. It doesn't affect the chassis structurally at all.

RC Qualifier
    More Pics after the 65 MPH crash!

My slash shows signs of use! The doom :P
    Billy-bones slash is a trailer queen when you look it compared to mine. I can't remember a time when mine looked that good. My hates off to you billy! Keep it looking sharp while you can.
    As you can tell, this slash gets seriously abused! the fourth shell is on order
    I'll keep the pictures coming

Grabbed a new bumper!

Never used the original one to be honest They barely got scratched!

This can happen to you! Don't go to crazy with the power

Before I bought the MIPs. Went through these like kids eat candy.

When I lost one of the half shafts to the MIPs I bought a complete set front and rear, that's how much I like em. These are my spares

And for those that like the lights. I spent a good deal of time when I put this set on to make them fully functional. Even in the most EXTREME circumstances. This set still functions after the 65 MPH crash

This has taken me a few goes to accomplish, I have gone through 3 of those axial light kits but I live in a place where its dark after 4 pm and the sun doesn't arrive until 8:30am... If at all. Light kits are a must for racing!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 12-12-2013 at 08:54 AM. Reason: merge

Billy-bones slash is a trailer queen when you look it compared to mine. I can't remember a time when mine looked that good. My hates off to you billy! Keep it looking sharp
    LOL, Thanks, It has only been used for speed runs and never seen dirt.
    I bought another one to put thru the paces.
    Its clear you've had a lot of fun with yours.
    I have some 2wds that have been run hard and put away wet but still green in the 4wd field.
    Looks like your truck held up well for a high speed crash, gotta love the slash.
    Its a pleasure having you in the community.
    A quick body pic.
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Qualifier
    @Billy-bones
    Did you paint that body rattle can style? If so, that paint job shows real patience and good blending. I paint all my bodies with rattle cans and I've become quite good at making them look pretty sleek. I just need to get some better pics in the future, perhaps inspire a few to try painting one themselves. Great job

@Billy-bones
    Did you paint that body rattle can style? If so, that paint job shows real patience and good blending. I paint all my bodies with rattle cans and I've become quite good at making them look pretty sleek. I just need to get some better pics in the future, perhaps inspire a few to try painting one themselves. Great job
    Thank you, yes just a lower candy red with silver backing and straight black on the front and rear panels.
    I am looking into a air brush for future use but so far I've just went with a rattle can.
    Thanks again.
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Qualifier
    I do have a question for the community.

Is there a diff carrier that can hold up better then the stock one (traxxas 5381)?
    I go through these things like white on rice. I have to replace the rear one every few hours due to the rod that slides through the spider gears, bounces around inside the carrier leading to the spider gear strip.
    Are the XO-1 Carriers the only solution? I haven't tried them yet.

RC Qualifier
    Rally
    Slash 4x4 Platinum x2
    Stampede 4x4 VXL

RC Qualifier

You can never have to much light...

Rally
    Slash 4x4 Platinum x2
    Stampede 4x4 VXL

RC Qualifier
    What light set you running that's nice and bright
    Slash 4x4 MMP/2800kv

Slash 4x4 LGC MM2/2650kv

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cmistac View Post
    What light set you running that's nice and bright
    Homemade...
    10 Power-LED
    For more info:

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ally-Lights-Up
    Rally
    Slash 4x4 Platinum x2
    Stampede 4x4 VXL

RC Qualifier
    Hey man
    I would get the shining star chassis.. Tough chassis.. Ive put mine through the ringer and only has to replace one a arm block and that was cuz I had a screw come loose and then break off in the block.. Tried to drill it out.. Messed that up then bought a new block.. Well worth the money..

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Sverige View Post

You can never have to much light...
    Lol. Looks blinding. Very nice sverige.

RC Qualifier
    UPDATE!!

The new Pro-line Pro-spec shocks are in at the local hobby shop and I was able to grab a set for the rear!! They had the front set available however I'm looking for another set of rears; they will arrive Thursday.

Also grabbed some heavier fluid for them.

Broke my rear bumper again.

So I grabbed another while I was there.

Also have $150 of goodies coming in from the @m@zon to update some aging parts. I'll update again soon
    I have the intentions to place another order online this Thursday after I go to the local hobby shop. I'll be completing a second slash 4x4, fully upgraded, using mainly my left over parts. Just need to fill in the details
    Last edited by Finkledbody; 01-06-2014 at 06:17 PM.

RC Champion
    How do you keep breaking the rear bumper?

RC Qualifier

The "No Expense Spared" Slash 4x4 *Droolers welcome

Yeah that's kind of weird to break unless you drive backwards all the time lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That don't make NO sense!"

RC Qualifier
    Your gonna run 80w and 100w shock oil? Sounds heavy.

RC Qualifier
    I cut the RPM bumper down to make it shorter reducing the structural intregrity. Also I live in a Maine and its bitter cold here, it was -20 the other day and RPM products become brittle in the cold. Not really sure what broke it this time tbh though. lol. Probably when my friend hit me or one of the many crashes that happens when we go for the big 4 foot snow jump.

Quote Originally Posted by seanycool View Post
    Yeah that's kind of weird to break unless you drive backwards all the time lol
    lol, right! I don't want to keep breaking them but will accept their fate.
    Last edited by Finkledbody; 01-07-2014 at 07:25 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
    Your gonna run 80w and 100w shock oil? Sounds heavy.
    Yeah, my friend installed the proline pro-spec shocks the other day and from what we can tell, they require a much heavier oil. He used 80wt when he built the shocks and his truck sagged right to the ground. So I'm going to use 100 wt in the rear and mix 80% 100wt with 20% 80wt for the front and see how that holds the pig up. I'm pretty excited about getting these on my truck!

RC Qualifier
    Your problem isn't so much shock oil as it is your springs and rebound that should hold the truck up. The heavier oil would take longer to compress yea but it will also take longer to rebound. So your truck will bottom out or sag still. Sounds to me like the Pro-specs rebound isn't working up to par like 95% of the shocks I've seen for these trucks. Gmades are the only ones I've seen with proper rebound.

I am a motorcycle technician and deal with motocross bikes all the time and let say you want 100mm of sag ( level it rides with rider) so with your battery. If there was 150mm of sag you would not change the oil you change to a heavier spring to hold the heavier rider.

You want to change your oil or shock piston when your rides really bouncy or unresponsive. If bouncy go heavier if unresponsive go lighter.

These trucks don't have rebound and compression stacks so the rebound and compression in the shock is always going to be the same.

Hope this helps or does in the future when you want to tune your suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slash 4x4 MMP/2800kv

Slash 4x4 LGC MM2/2650kv

RC Qualifier
    Good catch cmistac. You hit the nail on the head but I was already aware of this . I haven't revealed what springs I'm using yet for good reason but lets not jump to conclusions with these pro-spec shocks. My truck weighs alot so its tough to get the right blend for the driving conditions I put her through. However I will fill in the blanks once the rest of the parts come in so it'll make more sense as to why I'm going so high with the shock fluid.