RC Enthusiast

Stick with 3.3 or...

I have a feeling my 3.3 is about to croak. I may or may not have overheated it by playing in the snow all day (jk I did). I have never had any troubles with the 3.3 but I want to get into racing.. Is the 3.3 a good racing engine? Or what do you guys have?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good racing engine? Yeah, good. Get it modified and it will scream. Are there others that would work? Yes. I like my 3.3 that I've ported myself and added a Losi carb...it really hauls.
    The Super Derecho

I run an OS 21TM on mine and love it. Really the only difference between it and the stock 3.3 I saw was it ran a little smoother and tuned easier and it also spools the rpms up a tad quicker. But the 3.3 with just a little TLC like Double G described, can run just as good. I actually ERP'ed my old 3.3 and have a fresh new one as a spare on the shelf. I need to take it apart and mod that little mill so it's ready to rock.

If you want just plain insanity, drop a big block in it. Don't know if it would be race legal though.

RC Enthusiast
    How do I port it? Or mod it at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by turntroop View Post
    How do I port it? Or mod it at all?
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ort-and-polish

This is the DIY version I did with mine. Look more at the pics I did with the OS 21TM. That's what you want. I went a little too much on the old 3.3 sleeve I did first.

If you are going to race though send your mill to RBmods or the like there's a couple modders out there. Those guys are the masters at it. They've done their R&D with dyno tuning and such and have it down pat. I just did mine myself because I only backyard bash no racing. I did notice a difference still by doing it myself, but to get the biggest bang for your buck let a pro do it.

RC Champion
    Keep in mind ported engines don't last as long as a non ported engine life wise.

RC poster
    You guys are gonna love me for this. I actually dispatched of the 3.3 and dropped in a monster 2.5R in my Slayer. Please don't kill me. After getting the 3.3 good and broken in, and driving with it for awhile, I decided it was just a bit too much power for my driving style and overall surfaces I run on. Usually loose gravel or dirt. My brother needed an engine for his Maxx, and he's the kind of driver who can never have enough power. I'm not racing it or anything, just sport driving around the yard, so in my case the 2.5R is plenty of power for my Slayer. I gotta admit the 3.3 has a lot more acceleration, though...

RC Champion
    The 2.5r motor is decent. I had one before my 3.3 and I had a ball with it. The thing ran forever also. It has 13 gallons on it but the crank case bearing went out on it, causing it to run really lean. The motor would still run today if I put new bearings in it, it still has compression.