Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

I got me a Mini Summit!

I has some regrets selling my 1/10 Summit but it was too big for what I wanted it for... I never had the chance to upgrade it.
    Now that I have just purchased a 1/16 Summit from Crashinator what should my upgrades be?
    I spent some time browsing HR and I like some of the things I see, I know to run when I hear Integy! I don't want a mini all Aluminum Summit but would like some.
    I am thinking shock mounts, bulkheads, steel diff gear, steering crank, sway bar, servo guards, and knuckles.
    I may not have long time left on this forum...
    PM for info.....

RC Champion
    Congrats on the buy dude. HR is a good brand for this car, and it is sure pretty. If you have the money I would get everything on your list. If you are shimming your diffs and using an aluminum bulkhead I do not see a need for the steel diffs. Get a new servo because the stock one tends to die quickly. I had a hitec one but then upgraded to a 1/10 servo. Proline dirthawg tires or trenchers. The shocks tend to leak stock so buying the HR shock bodies would be a good idea.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Champion
    A little more info on what you want your Summit to be able to do would help too.
    There are more mods if you want it to be a crawler...and other mods if you just want a straight up basher.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier

I got me a Mini Summit!

Hey dcfox, sorry I forgot to mention that. Just basher for now! Once a year it will be crawler, I will just have spare diffs with 300K-500K weight and flip the tranny for torque for the crawling mod Do you think 300K is enough for crawling on rocks and dirt, to help you get a better idea on the rocks I will be crawling in Kerrville(next to San Antonio)... I want to keep the motor, sell ESC, get SV3, and SPC lipos. I want this mini to look good. TBR skids and bumpers are on there journey to me.
    Last edited by Spartanator; 12-06-2013 at 07:04 AM.
    PM for info.....

RC Champion
    Good choose of battery and esc.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks revoman, I expected this thread to be more active with snow in some areas, guess not? I guess everyone is playing with the full size in the snow! I am going to spray the body with black plastidip. Should I do the bottom of the chassis? I also have clear plastidip. They are both spray for poly carbonate.
    Last edited by Spartanator; 12-06-2013 at 02:58 PM. Reason: More ?'s
    PM for info.....

RC Champion
    Instead of the heavy oil in the diffs since they will only be used for crawling times...why not put the TRA7381 diff lockers in them? Plus...i'd go ahead and get a 2nd transmission and have it set up with the motor plate and slipper clutch assembly and just swap it out. Much faster and p[arts are cheap if you know where to shop.

Or do like I did...and build a Summit for crawling and a Merv for bashing.lol.(and a Slash and Rally for other times.lol)

I've never used Plasti dip...but have done a few bedliner bodies(really too heavy for a 1/16).

For crawling purposes...the T-Bone Racing Rally center skid plate works great on the Summit.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    I would just have 4 diffs total, 2 for crawling at 300K-500K and the other two for anything else.
    I figured the body would be to heavy with some type of weather protection on.
    If I had more $ to spend it would have fleet! I had bad experiences with the stock 2080 servo so which metal geared servo should I get? I am not money bags but I would rather do it right even if the servo is around $65-$85?
    PM for info.....

RC Champion
    right...4 diffs...2 for bashing...and 2 for crawling.I'd put the 7381 lockers in the crawling diffs.

My Summit has a Hitec 5085mg servo.
    A night/day difference from the 2080...but isnt waterproof.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    For the crawler differentials should I lock the front and put 400K in the rear or just make it easy and lock both? I don't want to break any parts I don't want seething that's sloppy.
    PM for info.....

RC Champion
    well...the locker kit comes with the pair.
    I'd lock both...and if you dont like the rear completely locked...then take the rear locker out and add the maple syrup.lol.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    What about molasses? Haha. I am looking forward to my "new to me" Mini Summit. I having some second thoughts about the power system... Did you ever run 3s on you VXL-3M? Can't decide if I should get a aftermarket motor, many say it's hard to beat.
    PM for info.....

RC Champion
    The motor does fine.
    Some people don't have any issues running the 3m on 3s...others have lots of problems.
    If you want to upgrade the power system...leave the motor alone and just upgrade the esc.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    Should I increase the motor size wires after the SV3? I think they are 16 Gauge stock, I would go 12 gauge if I upgraded the wiring... Do they have pro-line trenchers that would fit the mini Summit?
    PM for info.....

RC Champion
    Wiring should be fine.

The Proline 2.2 Trenchers are a little smaller than the Canyon AT Summit tires.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    Do you have any of the TBR bumpers/skids? Curious how they will hold up...
    PM for info.....

RC Champion
    I have them on my Merv...but haven't "tested" them yet.
    They seem really well made and everyone rants and raves about how great they are. That's why I bought them.
    I'm actually going to buy the TBR Rally skidplate for my Summit.
    It's thinner and hugs the chassis a little closer.
    However...my Summit is being built as a low speed crawler(has an Axial brushed motor,locked diffs,and flipped transmission gears for starters)
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    Will the stock Summit bumpers still be on or do they have to be removed?

Not trying to bump my stuff but some goodies showed up today!

My post duplicated so I had to ask a question up top... Taptalk is acting funny after the update!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 12-10-2013 at 08:06 AM. Reason: merge
    PM for info.....

RC Racer
    Updates? Did you get a chance to install the skid plates yet?

RC Qualifier
    Will be installing within the hour! I have not had time yet between school, hernia checkup, and work... Will post pictures in a bit!
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier

The TBR Install

Ok, had to eat dinner and take a shower so it's a little late...
    I used this video for reference, it may not be the best but oh well...
    First off instead of needle nose pliers, get tweezers.
    Glue the spacers to the skid plate(Just use Elmer's on this)
    Don't get screws mixed up.... Dont strip screws (use a hand tool for this install.)
    Here is some pictures of it:

Last of all have some bashful fun on 3s!
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    Well, guess I broke a part already....

The bright side though is that the LED kit and purple springs are installed... I am waiting on the Center Diff for tomorrow's install.
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    Question for some of you: What do y'all think of aluminum arms (HR)? I broke my front right arm on the mini so I want to prevent this again (maybe I shouldn't just run into walls). Should I get aluminum rods down there or stay plastic? To my understanding RPM does not make arms for the Summit, but they do for the Merv, /, and rally...? I think I will do a GD conversion. Are the Diggers arms and rods different from the Summit's (beside color)?
    I have noticed this mini is rollover happy, Sway bars from HR? My springs in the rear are purple and blue in the front, didn't help much with the squat feature.
    Hopefully diff shims show up today along with my 100 body clips!
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    I've got RPM's on my summit. You're good on that. I've got wheel extenders on it as well which helps for rollovers
    Just can't get enough....

RC Qualifier
    Could you point me to an item for the wheel extenders?
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    http://thetoyz.com/Traxxas/Mini-1-16...he-Toyz/14313/

The toyz makes 3 separate colors I believe. I've got 25mm ones I believe. Make the truck look a bit bigger IMO

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, I am pretty much done with my LHS. Ebay is going to be my new store! Very, very bad day at that HS..... Anyways I replaced the arm and shimmed both diffs, hope they make a "diff"erence!!! De-anodized some to!

Last edited by Spartanator; 12-12-2013 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Pictures!
    PM for info.....

RC Racer
    In the video the guy didn't like the fit of the TBR skid plates. Did they redesign them to make it fit better?

RC Qualifier

I got me a Mini Summit!

I think TBR did redesign the skids, my arms touch but only I Iift the truck up really fast... I here that we should order the slide for the 1/16 Rally and get what bumpers fit your wants. dcfox says that the 1/6 rally skid fits better, as in more snug.
    PM for info.....

RC Champion
    The 1/16 Rally skid just protects the center of the chassis though.
    It doesn't tie the chassis and bulkheads together like the Merv/Summit skidplate does.
    The only reason i'm going to run the Rally Chassis on my Summit is because it's set up as a slow speed crawler and won't be jumped or bashed.

BTW Spartanator...The green RPM arms and grave Digger link rods look great together. I have them on my Merv(along with grave Digger bumpers and green RPM axle carriers).
    The only thing diffeent when switching from stock Summit arms to RPm arms is that you lose 10mm in wheelbase(not enough to make much of a difference).
    Also...I'd stick with plastic merv axles. They are stronger than the plastic Summit axles...yest not strong enough to transfer the weak point to a more expensive and harder to replace part.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    Thanks dcfox, I wasn't 100% percent sure how different it was... I ordered a newer model of the TR/RX system along with a heatsink for the motor. Next up is the SV3 along with a GD Conversion, I think I want a internal roll cage though... VGRacing

dcfox, have you ever been to the hobby shop on Nasa 1 and 45? It's Odyssey Hobbies,
    PM for info.....

RC Champion
    Never have...will have to check it out next time I'm that way.
    73 miles from me.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    I would suggest not checking it out, at least I will never go there again. I went to sell my Villain Ex (Traxxas boat) and the owner/manager/employee went A-wall, profanity in front of children, how it's unethical for me to meet someone to sell a hobby item at a Hobby Shop, my buyer was getting ready to buy $100 batteries from him (not anymore). The other customers sat there products back on the shelves and walked out... At least $1500 worth of Christmas presents (someone was getting ready to by a 3908L E-maxx and others were buying p4edes and Slashes), they did not even know how to solder my Castle 6.5mm polarized connectors and told me sorry after they destroyed one..... They are usually nice but guess that guy had something bad happen this time of year... Not another dime towards them. Either way it's an option if you came down this way, just talk to the guy without the leather vest and yellow shirt... Prices are high too.
    Back to subject, my 100 body pins for my Mini have still not come in!?!?

***I am not flaring my No-Longer LHS. Moderators, I am just bewaring fellow members in Texas if they come down my way....***
    Last edited by Spartanator; 12-14-2013 at 08:59 PM.
    PM for info.....

RC Champion
    I've been wanting to swing by Razor Hobbies in Baytown...and check out thier 3d printer.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    I've had good experience mostly at odyssey although I will say that their prices are high and the owner isn't very talkative/helpful. Sadly it's the only place that's relatively close in the south east side of Houston besides going to the hobby shop in deer park (forgot the name, ultimate rc maybe?) but anyways, if you have to drive a ways id pick a better place to be honest. Ultimate or whatever the one in deer park, was great. Small little shop but the guys were super nice and had a variety of parts. Focused mainly on land vehicles unlike Odyssey which does model scale, air, and land

RC Qualifier

I got me a Mini Summit!

Every other time they have been helpful but not that last time, I would agree there prices are only $1 less than direct from Traxxas. I know a user on here operates a hobbyshop out in Katy, his name is iknow2 or iknow... Seemed extremely helpful to me over in the Spartan forum. Does anyone think my Mini could pull my Spartan without straining the drive train, I would gear down a tooth it two...?
    Where are you c.greer? I'm next to Beacon Island in Clear Lake?

So e-Revo axles are stronger than the Summit's? Should I get the steel traxxas ones? I have not had any issues yet (only drove it 2 times).
    Last edited by Spartanator; 12-15-2013 at 11:20 AM.
    PM for info.....

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post

So e-Revo axles are stronger than the Summit's? Should I get the steel traxxas ones? I have not had any issues yet (only drove it 2 times).
    if you have Summit arms and long travel rockers...DO NOT get the steel axles...they are too short.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier

I got me a Mini Summit!

So the Summit steel axles are too short with the stock summit rockers?
    I need some stiffer suspension, I am currently running blue springs in the front and purple in back, stock oil. What is the stock oil, I want to add something stiffer. Any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by iknow2 View Post
    im remote control hobbies houston west
    Last edited by Spartanator; 12-15-2013 at 01:38 PM.
    PM for info.....

RC Champion
    I don't think they offer Summit steel shafts...except for the centers.
    The steel revo shafts are too short...they don't have the sliding feature...and will constantly pop out with Summit arms and long travel rockers.

Try 42.5w oil(stock is 30w)... that's what I'm running in everything but my Summit...but I want my Summit as soft as possibble.
    Last edited by dcfox; 12-15-2013 at 02:17 PM.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    I'm over off of highway 96 in league city. Over by the Perry Family YMCA.

I figure you could get some system up to tow it. Assuming you do gear down I think it would work for slow, relatively short pulls. Haha no long distance full throttle stuff.

I also agree with the above statements about the driveshafts. Id just stick with the stocks till they give you trouble/break. I personally don't think it's worth the hassle.