RC poster

HELP!! What to buy?

I have an old stampede from around 1997. Still runs but I've wanted a 4x4 vxl since they came out.

Question is do I buy the package with the 2s lipo battery and charger for the extra 50 bucks from traxxas or....do I save the 50 bucks and buy a charger and 2s lipo on my own? Is the traxxas lipo and charger worth it.

Tower hobbies has the package for 459 with a $50 discount code.

There is nothing wrong with Traxxas lipos. When bought seperately, you can lipos that cost less and perform as well or better, but as a package need, they are not bad.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    Is the charger decent? Just trying to see if you guys think its worth the extra 50 bucks to get the lipo edition

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

The charger is ok, but it's really slow... IMO, I would get a better charger, and a SPC lipo to go with it.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    The charger is ok, but it's really slow... IMO, I would get a better charger, and a SPC lipo to go with it.
    +1 to that
    The message above or below may or may not be true

RC poster
    So save the $50 upfront and just go buy my own lipos and charger

So save the $50 upfront and just go buy my own lipos and charger
    IMO, yes, that's what I would do.

RC poster
    Thank you.

RC Champion
    Adidazman. Welcome to the fourm. Here a two good places to get lipos.
    www.spcracingbatteries.com
    www.promatchracing.com

RC Champion
    If you do the Stampede 4x4 VXL with the 7cell NiMh you also get a $20 gift certificate included. Deduct the $50 promo and you get free shipping so your cost to purchase is only $359! I know I just got one for my grandson

Yeah dude nothing but awesome lipos for SPCplus you will love the 4x4 is a little beast..........peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC poster
    I'm actually looking into the merv also. Not sure which would better suit me. The merv is 100 less and seems a bit more durable when it comes to baseball fields and parking lots

I'm actually looking into the merv also. Not sure which would better suit me. The merv is 100 less and seems a bit more durable when it comes to baseball fields and parking lots
    You want the Stampede 4x4, trust me. 4 of my friends have 1/16's, 2 Summits and 2 MERVs, and they seem to always be having issues.

RC Qualifier
    I had a Merv and liked it. But it was very limited. I wouldn't say more durable. I went back to the 1/10th scale and glad I did!
    I did what Kwitty did. But as a Tower club member got $65 off ( 410-65= $345) Sold the Nihm for $15 and used the $20 on Shock caps and Aluminum bearing adapter.
    2x Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4

RC poster
    I just bought two for 359 and got the spc lipos

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by osure View Post
    I just bought two for 359 and got the spc lipos
    Nice! Sweet on those SPC's and you will always get great customer service from the owner!
    You also have $40 in Gift certificates coming too!

RC poster
    Just stopped by hobbytown usa and they have a 4x4 stampede with the lipo and charger for 499. They did say they'd price match tower hobbies tho.

RC Qualifier
    The battery and lipo charger is always good to have and for $50 you are not really losing anything by buying it.

However. The charger does suck. One thing i learned real fast is that waiting 8 hours for your battery to charge is a bummer. Especially when you first get your new toy. Its almost torture.

I went out and bought a new charger about a month or so after i got into RC's. I wish i had done it sooner.

A decent charger is essential equipment in this hobby. My charger even saved me once when i left my interior lights on in my car and killed the battery. It has the old pb (lead acid) setting so it allowed me to charge it up and saved the day! LOL

I went with a Hitec X1 Its essentially a dialed down and cheaper alternative to the
    TRAXXAS 2933 EZ PEAK PLUS 6 AMP LIPO/NIMH SUPER FAST BATTERY CHARGER

Prices have come down since i bought mine, and in hindsight i wish i had went with the Traxxas one.

My charger allows me to charge up my 5600mAh 2S 50C Lipo's in about 45-60 mins @ 6amps. I also have the Traxxas dual charging board for 2S batteries so i can connect them in parallel and charge them simultaneously. This is where the Traxxas charger would have served me better.

Even tho they are both listed at 6amps. When dual charging batteries the Traxxas charger will accomplish it faster. Its listed as 80W; where the Hitec X1 is listed at 50W. Also the Traxxas charger will can discharge, or storage batteries faster @ 10w (2.0amps) compared to the Hitec x1 5W (1.0amp)

the lipo itself may be worth the extra $50 but I would most definitely pick up a decent charger. You WILL NOT regret it. My only regret was not buying one sooner. Just make sure to go with a quality brand, and not some cheapo.

Batteries these days are becoming cheaper and cheaper. SPC offers some very affordable solutions, as well as many other retailers around. One i found recently that seems to have some very nice looking batteries is SMC and shipping is way more reasonable! For Canada anyway. Half the price of . . . even

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points; this also applies if a product/company name has been blocked by the language filter.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 12-03-2013 at 04:04 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I traded my merv for my p4de. Never looked back. It rolled WAY too much. Almost too much power on 2s for that size. P4de is way better.

RC poster
    I just ordered the powerlab 6 charger and jimmy n for the power supply. It should keep me going for yrs