RC Racer

Considering upgrading my 2wd stampede

I have the lower end stampede. 2wd (brushed motor, I think?) and nimh batteries to power it.

I am considering upgrading it however. I want to get the Titan 3785 12T brushed motor. (Or brushless if it is possible) What are some things I would need to consider when upgrading my truck? I'm fairly new to rc vehicles and am still learning the basics. So any tips and pointers are appreciated.

RC Qualifier
    Welcome!

There's basically endless amounts of upgrades you can do, but I'll attempt to point you in the right direction.

Aluminum castor blocks
    Aluminum rear hub carriers
    Aluminum adjustable rear camber links
    Aluminum shock caps
    Aluminum bulkhead
    Aluminum steering blocks
    Big bore shocks
    RPM a-arms
    RPM skid plate
    2.4 radio
    Bearings all the way around
    RPM front bumper or the slash 2x4 front bumper
    Proline Trencher tires
    Steel yokes
    Stampede 4X4 drive shafts
    Temperature gun

These are the general upgrades, but will get you a pretty tough truck. Looks good too!

If you go brushless, be sure to get a good charger and some lipos. You'd be all set.

If you want, you can look through my build thread to see what all I've done to mine.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...uot-build-quot
    Last edited by ithrowstones; 12-01-2013 at 05:25 PM.
    Never trust a fart.

RC Racer
    As for going brushless, Can I simply switch out the motor to a brushless motor? Or is there any other precautions I need to follow when going to a brushless motor?

Also, what would you recommend for a brushless motor?

EDIT: Just noticed you listed a 4x4 drive shaft. Upgrading this makes it 4wd? If so that's awesome.

RC Qualifier
    You need a esc ( speed controller) and Brushless motor. Traxxas VXL or a Castle system is what I recommend. The 4x4 drive shafts are just more beefy.
    2x Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by No One View Post
    You need a esc ( speed controller) and Brushless motor. Traxxas VXL or a Castle system is what I recommend. The 4x4 drive shafts are just more beefy.
    Would you recommend I try putting on a 4x4 drive shaft? or just stick with upgrading the motor.

RC Qualifier
    A lot of us run the Castle Creations 3800KV combo. This is an excellent choice and is by far better than the Traxxas VXL motor. If you buy the combo, you'll get everything you need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-Creat...item540114b652

Upgrading to the 4X4 drive shafts does NOT make the stampede 4 wheel driven. They are just simply more beefier and you won't twist the drive shafts.
    Never trust a fart.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakepocalypse View Post
    Would you recommend I try putting on a 4x4 drive shaft? or just stick with upgrading the motor.
    If you end up getting a brushless system, might as well do the 4X4 shafts.
    Never trust a fart.

RC Qualifier

Considering upgrading my 2wd stampede

Don't let ithrowstones scare you with all the upgrades he listed because I don't have half of those things and my truck doesn't break with brushless power. That list adds up to about $350 including the brushless system. The best thing to do is just burn out the brushed motor you have and then get brushless and run it with NiMh batteries until you get bored then get Lipo. I only have NiMh batteries with brushless and it easily goes 40mph. You can do whatever you want because its your $$$ but with that list money goes quick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    And we thought toy grade RC's where cool...

RC Racer
    I am considering the brushless system. Might be a good idea to wait until my stock motor burns out though. Could be a while however, depending how well it was made lol.

RC Champion
    welcome
    If you break in your motor properly; the motor actually lasts a very long time;
    I went trough two, trial and errors before I really got the hang of it; with preference to the water break in method;
    How ever since and two stampedes later, do not intend to go back on brushed motors; the castle creations 3800 MMP and onyx 4550 Duratrax have been more then enjoyable;
    The Titan and the XL5 esc are now just sitting in the box with other parts, the motor has more then a 100 runs and well maintained but I may give it a way to a friend so that some one else will get into the hobby too;
    you will love the brush-less systems, both the vxl and the castle creations have great review and they have great combos such as the SV3 (water proof system) at about 120 dollars and if you are in the US I believe you can have an upgrade programme with traxxas from the xl5 to the VXL, you may have to check how it works but lots see it as a great opportunity too go brush-less;
    Live life to the fullest

RC Racer
    Thanks for the post. I'll keep it in mind.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakepocalypse View Post
    I am considering the brushless system. Might be a good idea to wait until my stock motor burns out though. Could be a while however, depending how well it was made lol.
    The Titan 12T motors are not generally known for durability and reliability. That is not to say you can't make them last though. Brushed set ups take a little more maintenance to keep in good running order than brushless set ups. You will get a a lot of suggestions on a BL setup so I will add my 2 cents as well. I have the Hobbywing SC8 WP 120a esc with an EZ-Run 3656 4700kv in my stampede and the same esc with an EZ-Run 3656 3800kv in my slash. Both combos are wicked fast and reliable. A little cheaper price tag than the castle combos and imo, just as good from a performance standpoint.

Remember...when you go brushless you WILL go faster. This will translate in the breaking bigger parts faster too. However, don't jump on the upgrade bandwagon until something actually breaks. Just keep driving it like you stole it. Over time you will have a bullet proof truck.
    This space reserved

The important thing with brushed motors is regularly cleaning with electrical cleaner and oiling the bushings.

Look for a Vektor esc/motor which is a rebadged castle and you can usually find them cheap. Upgrade to bearings and you'll be set.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    I agree with O.G. Maintenance on a brushed motor is one of the best ways to make have a lasting life span. Also be sure to gear it properly and watch the temps.
    Never trust a fart.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    The important thing with brushed motors is regularly cleaning with electrical cleaner and oiling the bushings.

Look for a Vektor esc/motor which is a rebadged castle and you can usually find them cheap. Upgrade to bearings and you'll be set.
    Does vektor come with an esc or is it just a motor?