RC Enthusiast

just a few questions before i decide to get an alias

how long is the charging/run time?
    can I charge the alias battery with an ez-peak plus?
    can I get better batteries to increase flight time?
    is it going to survive a full on crash into a wall? lol
    is there any common faults?
    and is there anything else I should know?

any advice is much appreciated.

Traxxas Employee
    how long is the charging/run time? @30-40 to charge, i get @10-15 minutes of flight time, some get more, few get less
    can I charge the alias battery with an ez-peak plus? i wouldn't advise it
    can I get better batteries to increase flight time? all we have is the one battery
    is it going to survive a full on crash into a wall? lol.... we crash into walls, warehouse poles and each other, and they are just fine
    is there any common faults? if you know you are going down, power off the left stick.
    and is there anything else I should know? have fun with it.
    slash 4x4 lcg, telluride(modded), TCP........and other things

RC Racer
    - the run times seem to vary depending on who you talk to? my own personal experience so far, after about two dozen flights, is that it can vary from just under 6 minutes up to 12. it will depend quite a bit on what mode you fly in, how many stunts you do, how agressively you fly it, wind, temperature, ect. on average, i am getting 6 minutes pretty consistently with a few flights between 7 to 9 minutes. hovering around, i get 10 to 12 minutes. what i am finding with mine, is that the telemetry plays it a little safe. typically, by the accepted standard in this hobby (and that may be different since i started), is the battery should use about 80% of its mah's. mine are going in to alarm between 60% to 70%. still, six minutes is plenty enough time to enjoy the Alias and learn it and i dont fly any longer than 6 minutes on any of my other heli's, so that is normal for me.
    - it was not recommended to use any charger but the stock one. it really does a nice job and at 40 minutes charge time in fast charge, it makes it perfect. you can use a smart charger, and i have, to check the mah use a few times, but i ordered a second stock charger and will stick with them. they are the safest bet and work great.
    - from what i am reading, and from searching, no. it looks like the Traxxas battery is the only one available for this Quad, at least right now. the truth is, that they are very inexpensive and work great. i bought some extra batteries and with the high quality of them... they will last a very long time.
    - definitely! i cant say that enough and Traxxas is to be commended on their design in durability, hands down! i have not ran over it with a bicycle or anything like they did, but i have had some pretty nasty impacts with things and all i have done is put some minor scratches on the blades. it still fly's like new . one thing i did have happen, i drove it in to the wet grass upside down from about 100 feet. a little mixed mud and water got on to the board and shorted it out. after a good cleaning, it went right back in the air without a single issue. i have seen in another post where it was suggested to use liguid black tape, or di-electric grease to protect those areas.
    - i can only tell you my experiences, but so far, i have not found one problem or issue with mine . even the controller was designed perfectly .
    - the only thing i would mention is with regard to the battery telemetry and the alarm. when it goes off, land it! it will sound the LVC alarm for 30 seconds. at 35, it shuts off. i tested it from about a foot off the ground over grass. it alarmed for the 30 seconds it was supposed to, then 5 seconds later... it shut off and dropped to the grass. it is really the only thing i do not like about it, but, it is designed to protect your battery from damage which makes it a nice feature . with the varying battery times, it makes it a little hard to know where to be and when, but so far, 30 seconds has been more than enough time to get it back and safely landed. even if i dont get it back in time, and it falls to the ground, it has already proven to me that it can do that and not suffer a single bit of damage.
    the truth is that i never considered a quad until i saw this one. after all the reading and research i did days prior to my purchase, i couldn't find one quad by anyone else that measured up to this one for the price. i love mine and it was definitely a smart move for me personally. i am having a great time with it and haven't touched any of my other heli's since its arrival... it is very addictive .

hope this helps
    Think YELLOW Traxxas, please make a YELLOW Alias.

RC Enthusiast
    I am sure im picking up an alias now! thanks for your time, really answered my questions, and then some. I appreciate it.

RC Enthusiast
    oh, one more non-important question, how fast do you think it can go in a straight line? it'd be fun to race against my merv with it

once again, thanks.

RC Racer
    it is pretty quick all the way around actually. keep in mind though that the default settings are designed to help you learn control, so they are a bit on the "light side" to help you do that, ok? normal mode is very docile and perfectly set up for learning, but exp1 is offers more aggressive flying while still having the auto leveling feature. exp2 is set up with lower rates than exp1 but that is because the auto leveling is disabled in that mode and you are in complete control. once you learn to fly it, they even set up the controller for you to be able to adjust your rates, which i have done. they really did make this Quad in a way that anyone could learn and grow with it.

you will see, and you are going to love this Quad... it is tons of fun .
    Think YELLOW Traxxas, please make a YELLOW Alias.