RC Competitor

18/54 Gearing Questions

so today I changed out my pinion to a 18 tooth for some speed runs. A side from temps being high , I broke 2 drive shaft u joints in a row. I have broken these before , but never so quick or two in one driving session . Could this just be a coincidence , or is the gearing simply to much for the truck ?

Running on 2s and mostly on smooth pavement.

Thanks !

Are you doing full throttle starts or stops? What tires are you using?
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Competitor
    Traxxas talons , and yes , but not the whole time.

Traxxas talons , and yes , but not the whole time.
    Ok, so it's not the tires... Maybe with the extra gearing you need to loosen the slipper clutch?

RC Competitor
    these are not the first u joints ive ever broke . but yeah , I will try that . Looking into upgrading the driveshafts in the near future. Anyone know any good ones?

these are not the first u joints ive ever broke . but yeah , I will try that . Looking into upgrading the driveshafts in the near future. Anyone know any good ones?
    Yep! Look up the Traxxas ones, MIP, Tekno, etc. Ton of options!

RC Qualifier

18/54 Gearing Questions

The MIP X-Duty driveshafts are solid steel replacements to the stock. They were too heavy for my Sl4sh but they are probably perfect on the 4x4 Stampede.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-30-2013 at 05:30 PM.

That is extremely high gearing to be running on those tires. High gearing makes the motor work harder which increases the amps it will draw. More amps means more torque which may be why you tore up the drive shafts so fast. You are probably stressing the battery as well and most likely asking for an over heated motor.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    okay , I don't want to do that ! I usally only do about 5 high speed passes then I allow the car to cool before anymore .

RC Racer
    I use 17/54 on 3s with stock tires and driveshafts. The key to not broke something is to take it easy and watch the temp like a hauk!

The motor temp is ok after 5 minutes of speedrun, but after 7-8 minutes it begins to be so warm that it not confortable to touch, about 70 celsius, if you take a 10 minute brake when the temp is high then it will work fine, buy a tempgun, it could go from 70 celsius to 100 celsius on just minutes, never reach over 75c, the best is to stay so cold as you could touch it with your finger and not feel the pain :-)

I have never broke driveshafts to my stampede on 2 or 3s with high gearing but i see its not long time until it will broke because the plastic holes been wider, you must never run full trottle from the start, if you use 3s then you must get it slowly up in speed, i never hit full trottle before its about 40 mph. The vxl is so powerfull on 3s so if you give full trottle from start its going to break sooner or later, even on 2s with high gearing. The best is to upgrade the rear driveshafts to steel, the traxxas r driveshafts looking nice, the same as the supercar driveshafts.

RC Champion
    Neither the VXL-3s Combo nor the stock drive shafts are designed for that much stress.

I run MIPs all around on 4s with my Castle 1415 2400 KV Motor. Perfect!

Get some stronge drive shafts as soon as possible!

That's how you melt your vxl system dude there are only a handful of motors that can take that gearing and buy a temp gun its a must in this hobby...........peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!