RC Racer

How long have you use the stampede on 3s? Got any problem with motor or esc?

Hello.

I want to know how long the stampede can run on 3s lipo without smoke from esc or motor :-)
    How long is a lifetime on vxl motor and esc?

I have get a genace 3s 4000mh battery and after i have use that, then i think its boring to use the car on 2s.
    My stampede have been run about 30 hours on 2s, maby thatswhy i not think its give enough speed anymore.

I use 3s now, the only upgrade on the truck is the little alu piece on the clutch. The car is stock, i use it with care, never give full speed from start, maby 30-40 mph before i give full trottle and i havent broke a driveshaft yet!
    Motor gets real hot because i use 17/54 gear, but when its almost burn hot i take 5 minutes brake, i drive it about 10 minutes before the motor get a bit hot, esc are never more than 33 celsius and i use a traxxas fan to the esc.

I have reed that many smoke the esc on 3s after some time?
    So how is your experiance with the vxl system on 3s?
    So powerfull and fun to drive, a sunday is never long anymore :-)

Good to know, so far i have run it about 9-10 times on 3s, the only thing is when i connect the battery the esc is on lipo cutoff and led is red, when i turn it off and on again the led is green and good to go. This happend before i ever run it on a full charged battery.

RC Qualifier
    Mine lasted 2 months on 3S. I would recommend getting a temperature gun. Monitoring your motor temps is KEY to its survival.

I never let my motor get over 160 on the outside of the can. If its 160 on the outside of the motor. Easily over 180 inside.

Also gearing your p4de like that on 3S is asking for it. 17/54 is going to heat up FAST on 3s. I cooked mine on 9/54 gearing.

I would most definetly gear it down. If the truck is hitting themal shutdown that is a BAD thing.

I upgraded to a wpsc8 and a castle 2400 motor. and i have no heat problems at all anymore. Can rarely get it over 110 on 3s..

RC Champion
    If you plan on running 3's only, I would ditch the motor/ESC and go with a MMP/2400, et3s and a 2400 or Losi 2800. Running strictly 3's on a VXL no matter how you gear it and running more than 1 pack is asking for it. Just my 2 cents, I hate hawk eyeing temps, set it and forget it lol.
    1/10 Rally x2/P4de/P2de/Rustler/Sl4sh MT

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by T4KT1KZ View Post
    Mine lasted 2 months on 3S. I would recommend getting a temperature gun. Monitoring your motor temps is KEY to its survival.

I never let my motor get over 160 on the outside of the can. If its 160 on the outside of the motor. Easily over 180 inside.

Also gearing your p4de like that on 3S is asking for it. 17/54 is going to heat up FAST on 3s. I cooked mine on 9/54 gearing.

I would most definetly gear it down. If the truck is hitting themal shutdown that is a BAD thing.

I upgraded to a wpsc8 and a castle 2400 motor. and i have no heat problems at all anymore. Can rarely get it over 110 on 3s..
    I agree Must watch the temp like a hauk, i think 9 gear is to little, im going to change to a smaller gear when the snow is comming, but if you use 17/54 on just asphalt or hard surfaces and not use the breaks then the temp will be fine in cold weather. i havent try this 3s battery on the summer yet, but i think 17 gear on summer is just trouble.
    What do you breake after 2 months?

110 on 3s is real nice! do you have a link to the electronic that you bought?
    Last edited by Ray87; 11-30-2013 at 03:59 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephan81 View Post
    If you plan on running 3's only, I would ditch the motor/ESC and go with a MMP/2400, et3s and a 2400 or Losi 2800. Running strictly 3's on a VXL no matter how you gear it and running more than 1 pack is asking for it. Just my 2 cents, I hate hawk eyeing temps, set it and forget it lol.
    I have run it on 9-10 packs now on 17/54 on hard surfaces and not hitting the break without trouble.. So i just want to heare about other vxl users out here Do the mm fits into the stampede? tought it only fits the slash?
    I will be thankfull if you could give me a link to the better esc and motor, maby i Upgrade later, but i dont think i want more Power because of the diferentials? It looks like the diferentials easy handle the 3s vxl system

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephan81 View Post
    I agree 100% I run both those motors. 1415 2400 in my p4de and losi 2800kv (losb9444) in my slash 4x4 MT. Both are powered by a hobbywing wpsc8 esc. I love them both the sc8 esc is BOSS!

Cheap too! I sold my used vxl system for $125 and i paid $60 for the motor and $70 for the esc total with shipping and everything came to $126!
    Last edited by T4KT1KZ; 11-30-2013 at 04:19 PM.

RC Qualifier
    1 year, 4 months and still going. I did have to upgrade to MIP CVD's. An ESC fan and a heat sink on the motor. It does get to 190 degrees on a 80 degree day. But Like I said. It's going strong.
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

RC Competitor
    Yup ive had real good luck with my vxl 3 year nine months an sevral diff trucks.olny thing i did was a fan on esc just now going to something diff as my motor is weak

I got a good 14 months out of my VXL system before I cooked it running 2s-3s and 11-13t pinion and had lots of fun but wish I got my temp gun earlier and it may have lasted longer.....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Competitor
    Well i dont have a temp gun anymore got broke im olny replaceing my vxl setup as ive got a castle 4 pole 3800 kv motorthats been sittin gonna put the vxl in my stadium truck with skis on front an paddles out back for some snow bank jumping fun

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray87 View Post
    I agree Must watch the temp like a hauk, i think 9 gear is to little, im going to change to a smaller gear when the snow is comming, but if you use 17/54 on just asphalt or hard surfaces and not use the breaks then the temp will be fine in cold weather. i havent try this 3s battery on the summer yet, but i think 17 gear on summer is just trouble.
    What do you breake after 2 months?

110 on 3s is real nice! do you have a link to the electronic that you bought?
    The esc went up in smoke. It was my uncles fault really. I left him with a fresh truck, hadnt been run yet. with a fully charged 3S pack. I ran up to the motorhome (camping) grabbed a wobbly pop, came back (maybe 4-5 mins) and he had the temps over 220
    at that point it was still running. I shut it down and let it cool off. next day i went to fire it up and the esc just jerked a bit. nothing. i give it little push, and it would go very slowly, while throttle full out. soon as i let off the throttle, dead. No reverse. I pulled the motor apart, and all was well. Tested it on another ESC and it worked perfect.

My second vxl esc went out on a stock traxxas NiMh. My 7 year old son was out driving it. He always carries a walkie talkie with him. so he radio;'s "dad the truck stopped". i reply "are the lights on?:" as i have lights wired into the body that are on when the esc is. he replys ":yes". i respond "bring it in". In the two minutes it takes him to walk home with it the esc cooked itself I think.

He comes in the house with it. Lights on esc and motor fans are still on and working hard. I take off the shell and the ESC lights are off. :S it should be red as its in nimh mode. i grab the battery to unplug it and the wires are so hot they near burn me. pretty much threw the battery in surprise from the heat.

Immediately I put the battery outside in the backyard on the grass. Its so hot it has at this point the plastic is melting on the outside. The esc will turn on. But it does nothing except emit a high pitch sqeak. Again i removed the VXL 3500 motor and tested it on another system and it as well is perfect and works flawlessly.

This is how i ended up buying Hobbywing WPSC8 escs. As the first one cost me $60 including shipping. I waited for an auction to come up and sniped it.. BNIB off ebay. Normally they are around $75

It was close to $65 for me to send in the damaged esc to Traxxas for their Lifetime Warranty Replacement Thinger. As im from Canada the shipping is more.

Figured the SC8 is much much much more esc for esentially the same amount of money that the VXL-3S would have cost to fix/refurbish. In the End im very happy with it. Its been pulling double duty in my slash and my p4de until my second and third SC8's showed up. Its already lasted me longer

Links to my electronics
    Hobbywing WPSC8
    Castle 1415 2400kv (the et-2400 is same motor but cheaper)
    Losi 2800kv (Esentially a 1415 but losi branded..Awesome motor and even cheaper)

Traxxas has a strict language policy. A word filter operates to change inappropriate words and banned websites or brands to *s. When you see these in your post, you MUST edit them out.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-03-2013 at 02:52 PM.

RC poster
    T4, what kind of modding did you have to do to get that LOSI in there? Does it run ok on a good 2s?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by convicted21 View Post
    T4, what kind of modding did you have to do to get that LOSI in there? Does it run ok on a good 2s?
    Requires the same mods as a castle 1415 2400kv motor. I made a custom ESC mount for the HW SC8 ESC, also you have to dremmel a small area in the drive shaft area for the motor to seat correctly.

You can check out the ESC mount i made for my p4de here.

The Losi 2800kv motor is actually now at home in my Slash 4x4 MT. No mods are required for the SC8 ESC and the 1415 or 2800kv losi motors in the Slash 4x4 chassis. Having alot more room allows you to use the included ESC mounting plate that comes with the ESC. Making the install a direct swap in. .

The slash MT is primarily driven by my 7 year old son. On 21/54 gearing on 5600 mah 50C 2S it runs right around 40MPH. Wheelies NP with 2.8 tires.. Temps are super cool. rarely over 100. Unless I drive it full out for an entire pack. 3S with the same gearing is just over 60mph... I Have never opened it right up on 4S as it gets a little intense at those speeds.. Also i need better tires..LOL..
    Hope this helps..

RC Champion
    esc lasted for 3 runs on 3s but no fan installed. Motor lasted for 5 runs until magnets came lose.

Before i ran the trick over a year on 2s without issues.

I can't recommend 3s on the VXL-3s System sorry!

Now I run on 4s with Castle 1415 and WP-SC8. This is a beast.

For sure you must upgrade the drive shafts. I run MIPs all around. No issues.

Also had do to the Hex Mod on the Trechers.
    Last edited by soundmaster; 12-04-2013 at 08:41 AM.