RC poster

Self Introduction and talk of brushless upgrade for my Son-uva Digger

Hello! Hope everyone's having a good Thanksgiving. I wish I'd had the whole week off, myself, because work really stank, and I only got Thanksgiving Day off. I'm sure many others have it worse.

Well, I have a Monster Jam Son-uva Digger, which I bought in August (2013), and have run it mostly stock, apart from alum castor blocks, bearings, T-Bone wheelie bar, and 2S LiPo. My Titan 12T has provided some great enjoyment, and is still alive n' kickin', but I'm getting bored of the weak performance, especially since I've been getting used to running a 1/14 Vaterra Kalahari (brushless), easily over 35mph. I don't necessarily want constant speed runs out of my SOD, but I do crave some punch n' go action.

I've been researching intensely for the past week or two, and have narrowed my choices down to either the Hobbywing EZRUN Combo WP-SC8 ESC + 3650 3400KV motor, or the same WP-SC8 ESC + Vicious Tek Pirahna 4-Pole 3300KV motor. They both tie in around the same price, and each one would blend well with the black/blue Son-uva Digger color theme. I can't really find much info to push me one way or the other, except that I've read in one thread that the EZRUN ran hotter than most, but I think that guy was running a 4300KV, whereas I plan to keep mine ≤ 3500KV. I've read a few positive threads on the Vicious Pirahna4, but I can't find any decent videos on either one. If no one cares to remark, I won't be offended. I just thought I'd share my frustrations of virtual shopping, where you often can't see, feel, or hear the object you desire to purchase.

Whatever I do eventually get, I will record a video and post it on my YouTube channel, so that others will benefit from my lack.
    Cheers!

RC Qualifier
    What's up man. First let me start off by saying welcome to the forum. There is a plethora of information on here with a bunch of knowledgable guys. Sometimes it just takes awhile to get a response,lol. While I can't speak on any of the combinations that you spoke about, I can highly recommend the Sc8 speed control. I have two of them, one in a P2de and one in a Rustler and a Castle 3800kv for the past 2 years and haven't had one problem. I would recommend you get the program card otherwise it's extremely hard to change brakes,punch control etc. Hopefully someone else will chime in with some recommendations. If you can id try to find a castle 3800kv motor to put in there. BTW, that is a really good picture.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    How much is that esc?
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltim0re28 View Post
    What's up man. First let me start off by saying welcome to the forum. There is a plethora of information on here with a bunch of knowledgable guys. Sometimes it just takes awhile to get a response,lol. While I can't speak on any of the combinations that you spoke about, I can highly recommend the Sc8 speed control. I have two of them, one in a P2de and one in a Rustler and a Castle 3800kv for the past 2 years and haven't had one problem. I would recommend you get the program card otherwise it's extremely hard to change brakes,punch control etc. Hopefully someone else will chime in with some recommendations. If you can id try to find a castle 3800kv motor to put in there. BTW, that is a really good picture.
    Thanks for the response. I decided to go with the EZRUN WP SC8 for my esc, and the Vicious Teknology Piranha4 3300KV motor. I like to give underdogs a chance, if I get enough positive info, and Vicious Teknology seems to fit the bill for me. I've read enough to stoke my curiosity, at least. I already have the HobbyWing program card, which I recently got, to program the 60a ESC that I installed on another vehicle. I'm looking forward to this upgrade, and will certainly report back on the results.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    How much is that esc?
    I've seen it from several eBay sellers for as low as $67 (+ free shipping), although they're located in China. I think there are some state-side sellers offering it for $77, not including shipping cost.

RC Qualifier
    When I purchased mine I think I only paid about $55. Last month Amazon had them for $60 but when I looked the other day they were $70. Lol. It's a solid esc though.

Welcome to the forums
    !
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by AbSoLooT1 View Post
    Welcome to the forums
    !
    I appreciate the welcome.

RC poster
    Update! Well, Christmas came and went, and I got my new esc & motor, but didn't get around to installing it until the 2nd week of January. I am certainly satisfied with the upgrade. It seems to have given my truck some personality, as well as performance! I've only been using the 14t pinion that came off the Titan, because I wanted to measure the initial speed gains going from brushed to brushless, and I'm impressed. I think I gained about 5 MPH, which should be pretty good, since it's a 3300kv motor. I didn't expect too much, keeping the 14t pinion. I'll try the 19t next, after I fix my transmission, which brings me to my next point.

I heard a nasty clicking sound, this past Saturday, and after investigation, I discovered that I had blown out a bearing. I went to the LHS and got a pack of two new Traxxas bearings. I was simply going to clean things up, re-grease, and reassemble, but I was surfing some threads today, looking at heatsink options, when I came across a post by BaldyDaniels, with pics showing a cool, Hot Racing alum transmission case, and now I'm getting the bug to do some customization.

I really like the way that gearbox shows off the motor. I drew this analogy: Going from brushed to brushless is like going from a standard 6 cyl Mustang to a V8 Mustang GT. You want to open the hood and see that muscular engine. Let's face it, there's probably not one brushless can out there, that isn't more aesthetically appealing than the Titan 12t. I want to see that hot rod, brushless motor hanging out in the rear. Of course, I also want the benefit of heat sinking that it'll provide. :-P

I'm also considering some aluminum turnbuckles. Is there much benefit gained from those, over the stock plastic, nonadjustable links? I was also considering some aluminum shock towers to strengthen the core.

So, that's where I stand currently. : )