RC Competitor

Buy a brushed to convert it to brushless? Mutch parts requires?

Hello.

I maby want to Buy a emaxx brushed and use it this winter in the snow since it waterproof and the brushless esc is not, then i will buy mamba monster esc and motor when the summer is comming.
    It this a good idea? Looks like i need a new motor mount and driveshafts? What parts do i need to get it just like the brushless version? I see the mamba monster esc is out for sale in waterproof edition so i realy dont need the original brushless esc because it not waterproof.
    Here in from its a lot of rain days so its often water around.

I will be happy for some help here :-)

RC Champion
    I'd suggest a 3903, or 3905 brushed e-maxx. No need to change drive shaft's. I have the mm2/2200 castle combo. No water/winter worries. Motor will bolt up to one spot on motor mount. I just covered the other hole. Or if you are picky. Then a 3908 motor mount would be what you need. Peace
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Competitor
    I see, just a motormount is what i need, i also see tht the brushless have 17mm hex, but the driveshafts is the same? No need to buy the r versions?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    All shafts are the same.

Only differences are the hexes, tires, wheels, motor mount, gear cover, and body.
    Possibly the servos and radio system.

Nothing is required to upgrade to brushless other than possibly the radio system for interference issues.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray87 View Post
    I see, just a motormount is what i need, i also see tht the brushless have 17mm hex, but the driveshafts is the same? No need to buy the r versions?
    Forgot to mention i went with 17mm hex also.

RC Competitor
    It stands on traxxas site that 3903 have tqi, but is it the same radio hardware on the car like the brushless?
    If i get the 17mm hex set,then it not fit on the brushed wheels?

RC Champion
    You will have to get new rims for those 17mm hex. Here is a e-revo thread on 17mm options, or whatever. Same size wheels as e-maxx. http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-with-pictures
    Yes still the same tqi as brushless. You can order the telemetry option if you desire.
    Last edited by ajcar; 11-29-2013 at 04:30 PM.

RC Racer
    The mamba monster 2 is waterproof now
    E-Maxx x2, ERBE, Slash 4x4, Bandit, T-Maxx 3.3

RC Qualifier
    why don't you get a roller instead..it will be cheaper.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maxxdigger View Post
    The mamba monster 2 is waterproof now
    The MM2 has always been waterproof.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    I just picked up a brushed emaxx after a traxxas hiatus for bout a year or so . Found it yet on CL , guy was asking 250 . Told him it doesn't look worth $150 , the tx was crystal , Nimh batteries looked like they ran their course . After that he said would u offer $150 pulled out cash n that was that . Came home stripped out the evx2 n twin motors and dropped in a castle system 2650 motor , took out the old tx/Rx , today found a guy local who had a top kick body and pair of new 2s lipo , got all three items for $50 so for $200 and my own electronics this is what I came up with so far and I'm gonna list the old tx/Rx and evx2 w/ twin motors and 2 5000mah nihm and charger probably make 50-100 back . heres my cretion so far
    lol sorry ipad take not so good pics

XO-1,SLASH 4X4 ,SLASH 2WD , 2/RUSTLER

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    The MM2 has always been waterproof.
    yeah Ik that's what I was trying to say lol bc Ray87 was saying that the original mamba monster isn't waterproof so I was trying to say that castle now sells the mamba monster 2 which is now waterproof
    E-Maxx x2, ERBE, Slash 4x4, Bandit, T-Maxx 3.3

RC Champion
    Benny g6, That is a awesome start to a awesome e-maxx.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by NFS View Post
    why don't you get a roller instead..it will be cheaper.
    What do you mean about a roller?

RC Competitor
    Nice truck you have made there bennyb6, i like the tires better on the brushed version
    Im going to figure what to do, maby buy the brushed version because the brushless stock esc is not waterproof, so i get it cheaper to buy esc and motor to a brushed to get a emaxx brushless that is waterproof.
    All of the mamba monster 2 esc came without traxxas plug to the battery? Or is it a partnumber that is just made With the traxxas plug?

RC Qualifier
    Thanks , I like how it looks , took it off roading all today I think I like it .lol

Ray87, I think your best bet would be to buy a roller from ebay number one .. $250 brushless roller.. Get a 2200 mamba motor for maybe $100 and find a waterproof esc for another $150 if u ALLREADY have remote and batteries the all u need is a reciever and tires and body of your choice and it will be a little less then buying a new RtR but atleast its to your liking .or get a vxl system , they move plenty fast . Kid u not just hooked up 2 7.4 20c lipos to see twin titan 550 motors with the evx2 esc and the motors were hauling tail . I'm almost tempted to put them back in for winter so their water resistant cuz I don't believe any of this is water proof lol . But those motors were movin on 4s lipo didn't expect that from brushed setup .
    Last edited by BennyG6; 11-30-2013 at 05:21 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyG6 View Post
    Thanks , I like how it looks , took it off roading all today I think I like it .lol

Ray87, I think your best bet would be to buy a roller from ebay number one .. $250 brushless roller.. Get a 2200 mamba motor for maybe $100 and find a waterproof esc for another $150 if u ALLREADY have remote and batteries the all u need is a reciever and tires and body of your choice and it will be a little less then buying a new RtR but atleast its to your liking .or get a vxl system , they move plenty fast . Kid u not just hooked up 2 7.4 20c lipos to see twin titan 550 motors with the evx2 esc and the motors were hauling tail . I'm almost tempted to put them back in for winter so their water resistant cuz I don't believe any of this is water proof lol . But those motors were movin on 4s lipo didn't expect that from brushed setup .
    Trust me when i say the castle mm2 is water proof. Snow fun will not even bother the mm2. I had mine under water for about 5 seconds. So no snow will hurt it. If you are worried i suggest this in winter time as well. Might have to search for a black one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chassis-Shro...item565e7c4e81

I will say be carefull with power to those 550 titan motors. They may not last. It is common if you are hard on the e-maxx. I have went through plenty of 550 motors. Brushless power took care of that. Peace
    Last edited by ajcar; 11-30-2013 at 05:38 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ajcar View Post
    Trust me when i say the castle mm2 is water proof. Snow fun will not even bother the mm2. I had mine under water for about 5 seconds. So no snow will hurt it. If you are worried i suggest this in winter time as well. Might have to search for a black one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chassis-Shro...item565e7c4e81

I will say be carefull with power to those 550 titan motors. They may not last. It is common if you are hard on the e-maxx. I have went through plenty of 550 motors. Brushless power took care of that. Peace
    Yea 550 motors r gone got $100 for a evx2 with twin motors and couple packs of Nimh , kinda worked pretty good figuring got a emaxx roller for $50 lol

RC Qualifier
    I bought a used stock 3903. Plan to run the brushed motors until they go out and then I'll run a brushless setup. Its actually cheaper in the long run to buy a used 3903 and convert it to brushless since there are not that many differences. Well depending on how much you get everything for. With what I paid for the truck and then the MM2 system it would be about $150 cheaper than going with the brushless setup up front.

RC Enthusiast
    and then it all starts again, rip out the Traxxas stuff, replace with Integy, realise they are rubbish very quickly and bite the bullet and buy the full on FLM chassis, towers, MIP CVD's, RPM arms, UE steering... , oh im nearly done on mine as far as I can go, just upgraded the steering to UE and that's all the upgrades I can possibly think of, without starting again and building a street racing Revo...... got a spare $1000? lol