RC Qualifier

2WD -4WD conversion

Well guys and gals my step brother (about 12 I think) has a p2ed and I am tired of fixing it.... I want him to get the 4x4 Pede because durability seems better IMO. I had a Slash 4x4 Ultimate and loved it! We actually had a direct crash and mine annihilated his pede while mine needed a camber adjustment....
    What are the common problems with the 4x4 Pede platform?
    What upgrades are common? I plan to put aluminum hubs and carriers on.
    Doing a transplant of the electric system so no need for new motor/esc yet!
    Truck will be primarily used on 8.4 Ni-mh with stock gearing.
    keep in mind this will be used by a 12 yr boy that destroys things!
    What is some better all around wheels tires?
    Any suggestions are appreciated! The local hobby shop loves him and his father because he can never get through a battery pack without breaking something(usually servo/servo saver) 9 servo savers in 4 uses........
    Last edited by Spartanator; 11-28-2013 at 08:27 PM. Reason: word displacement!
    PM for info.....

RC Competitor
    i got a p4de 4x4 and LOVE IT!!! i don't have stock motor/esc anymore but even with stock if you are gonna run EVEN on 2s the drive shafts ARE gonna break... i broke like 3 on 2s only. i have tekno m6 on all fours now and run with a cc2650kv on 4s and they are holding up very very well!!! also i would suggest the trenchers or mashers! i have trenchers and love them

RC Qualifier
    To take a 2wd to a 4wd would take almost a new vehicle. Best bet is to buy a p4de roller and go from there.IMO. Just add your electronics to the roller.

Common issues are broken driveshafts (especially the rear), melted slipper bearing adpater, and popped shock caps. If upgrading to aluminium rear carriers, the MIP's (rear axles) will rub in the inside. But nothing a little dremel work can't fix.
    The message above or below may or may not be true

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirschowl View Post
    To take a 2wd to a 4wd would take almost a new vehicle. Best bet is to buy a p4de roller and go from there.IMO. Just add your electronics to the roller.

Common issues are broken driveshafts (especially the rear), melted slipper bearing adpater, and popped shock caps. If upgrading to aluminium rear carriers, the MIP's (rear axles) will rub in the inside. But nothing a little dremel work can't fix.
    That's the plan! Thanks for the suggestions!

I am adding parts to the list as we speak. What about a Kingz motor mount?
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    the kHz motor mount is a great addition, everyone who loves their truck has one, its never too much to ask for rpm a-arms seeing how I broke one yesterday by brushing a piece of wood, most lhs carry rpm a-arms
    RACE IT, BREAK IT, FIX IT, REPEAT!

from what I have heard, the 2wd pede is actually more durable than the 4wd pede..... the 2wd also lends itself to a more carefree bashing experience.... the 4wd has a lot more going on.....

you cant convert the 2wd into a 4wd. well, you can do anything you want, but it will have to be a lot of custom fabrication. the 2wd and 4wd are completely different vehicles

RC Qualifier
    Thanks jimbo, I think that the 2WD pede is "more fun" because the wheelies. The 4wd pede is more controlable IMO.
    To make this clear (for anyone) I am NOT going to do any real converting, I am simply getting a 4x4 roller and swapping all the tronics, then selling the old chassis.
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    i know someone who converted the first model stampede 2wd into a 4wd, with all traxxas parts and little fabrication, its the most durable p4de that I know of, he soars OVER his roof and hasn't broken a part in like 4 years on the truck, the truck is like a legend
    RACE IT, BREAK IT, FIX IT, REPEAT!

i find that really hard to believe, especially considering the battery runs through the middle of the chassis......

RC Qualifier
    Not saying it happened or didn't but maybe he ran the driveline under the chassis? Maybe something like a baby e-Maxx?
    PM for info.....

RC Competitor
    my stampede 4x4 does do wheelies??? to much wheelies

RC Qualifier
    Yes, I like wheelies but don't like when I kept getting stuck in the cactus turn... I even had my Slash 4x4 do a wheelie. Still a 4x4 fan over 2x4...
    PM for info.....

Thanks jimbo, I think that the 2WD pede is "more fun" because the wheelies.
    What makes you think the 4wd Pede wont wheelie? Mine wheelies as much as my 2wd Rustler
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier

2WD -4WD conversion

I know it will wheelie but not as much as a 2wd. I have driven a stock 4x4 pede and it did wheelie but not as much as as the 2WD models. They had identical power...
    PM for info.....

RC Champion
    If you are breaking that many parts you might want to try to improve your driving skills. I have over 100 runs on the same parts. I drive hard, but don't crash into stationary objects.

There has been 4x2 to 4x4 conversions done. It took a lot of time and money. This was before Traxxas made a 4x4 Stampede. There was no drive shaft. It uses two standard 4x2 Stampede transmissions. Now buying a roller is the way to go.
    All those who believe psychokinesis raise my hand

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    What makes you think the 4wd Pede wont wheelie? Mine wheelies as much as my 2wd Rustler
    It will wheelie but it won't hold wheelies for as long as a 2wd can because of those tires spinning they will throw the car off balance and it will flip over after about 3secs.
    Go Traxxas, Team Associated, and Losi!