Thread: about the motor

RC Enthusiast

about the motor

Hello i was wondering if there was any motor that is better for NiMh battery? i got a stampede 4x4 vxl and only uses nimh batterys.

RC Champion
    The VXL motor has no problems with NiMH batteries, generally all brushless systems run perfectly fin on NiMH packs. Although, I'd highly recommend to pony-up to lipos when you can, makes a world of difference.
    Rustler VXL | Slash | Stampede 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    ok thanks but i dont want to use lipos because i dont have any room to have them in, and i dont want lipo batterys in my house. isnt there any brushless motor type that runs better on nimh then lipo? and is there brushless motortypes that runs better with 8.4 V?

RC Champion
    Agreed ^^^^^
    Mr.Sweden here are a few good places to get lipos.The vxl can handle up to 3s with proper gearing. A temp gun is a priceless tool to have.If you already do not have one.
    http://www.promatchracing.com
    http://www.spcracingbatteries.com
    Sorry did not post fast enough.I see u do not want lipos.

RC Champion
    Mr Sweden may can i ask why you do not want lipos. They are very safe if you fallow the instructions on balancing and proper storage.

The motor only sees the voltage it has no idea what kind or battery is supplying the voltage to it. So whether it is a lipo a animh or any other type the motor simply does not know or care.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    Lipo are safe, as safe as your car with gasolin on the tank.
    If you use lipo the right way then you will not have problem, the vxl3s cutt off perfect about 3.8v and i have never heard about lipo fire, just they on youtube that slap the battery with a hammer, all battery have risk, if you reed about nimh then you will reed about explosions.
    You could store them in a lipo bag on a dinner plate, a dinner plate (kjeramikk på svensk?) could handle the lipo fire temprature.
    Its more risk to just be a human and go out of the door, if you know what i mean.

Go for traxxas lipos, they are very solid! They can handle a lot of extreme bashing
    Last edited by Ray87; 11-27-2013 at 09:08 AM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    The motor only sees the voltage it has no idea what kind or battery is supplying the voltage to it. So whether it is a lipo a animh or any other type the motor simply does not know or care.
    Very true. The way i see it is. A nimh battery to lipos is like a 4 stroke motor to a 2 stroke motor. Lipos with a high c rating is like a power band in a 2 stroke motor.IMO. I will say to each his own.What ever make u happy is all that counts.

RC Enthusiast
    ah yea i know it can be safe and its not the explosions im afraid of its the smoke that comes out of them, that bag cant contain all that smoke so the house gets full of poisines smoke lets say if im asleep all night. hm ok well thanks for all of your answers it has been appreciated.

RC Racer
    Can we store lipo battery outside in the garage? Its cold there on the winter,
    I think its minimal risk that a lipo battery suddently burn when it not charge or disscharge.
    But if you are worry you maby could store it outside the house in a garage or a dry place, but i dont know how they will handle cold weather. I hope you found a solution because lipo battery last for a long runtime and 3s lipo give you mutch fun
    Its ok with nimh but lipo give a bit more punch.

I only charge my lipos when I am awake and then store them in a old metal tool box and so far so goodBut each to their own ......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Champion
    I use a Sentry fireproof box for storage and charging.Got it at Walmart.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    But isn't voltage only part of the equation for performance? The supply of Amps is the torque/power, does NiMh offer the punch that LiPo does? I assume Voltage equals RPMs but without the proper Amps the motor could be damaged or could be under performing?

RC Qualifier
    Maybe look into A123 Packs..

Quote Originally Posted by kwitty View Post
    But isn't voltage only part of the equation for performance? The supply of Amps is the torque/power, does NiMh offer the punch that LiPo does? I assume Voltage equals RPMs but without the proper Amps the motor could be damaged or could be under performing?
    Yes voltage is only part of it and the battery has to be able to supply the amps the motor needs but again the motor can not tell and simply does not care what the battery chemistry is (lipo, nimh, nicad, etc). If the battery can not supply the amps the motor is looking for it will over work and possibly damage the battery.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sweden View Post
    Hello i was wondering if there was any motor that is better for NiMh battery? i got a stampede 4x4 vxl and only uses nimh batterys.
    Yes. A lower kv (round 2500 kv) 2 pole motor will pull less amps, and make it easier for the nimh packs. It will be better for them.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???