RC Qualifier

Water Coming in thru stuffing tube?

Does anybody have a fix for this? Installed a wire drive on both of my spartans and both have water coming up the stuffing tube.
    Please help!

RC Qualifier
    Do you have the teflon liner installed and is there any visible wear or dry rot on the transom gasket?
    Powered by Castle.....

RC Qualifier
    yup on the liner.

I just replaced the rear grommet because I thought It was coming thru there

RC Qualifier
    You shouldn't have water coming in up the stuffing tube.
    The motor end is higher than the water level, so no water should enter when stationary.
    While in motion, as the boat skims across the water, it should create a venturi action (low pressure) at the rear of the stuffing tube, and should, if anything, draw air/water/grease out the rear of the tube.

If you in fact have water coming in up the tube, I'm at a loss to offer an explanation.

I had water coming in and couldn't figure out where for a bit, then determined my "larger diameter" cooling lines were leaking at some of the fittings. I put zip ties on each connection and the leaking stopped.

At 40/50+ mph there is a reasonable amount of back pressure created in the cooling system and connections that may seem tight enough, may not be.

hog

RC Qualifier
    i have zipties on every fitting....I can physically see it dripping out of the stuffing tube when the boats just beached in the lake. I have like 1-2 CUPS of water after each run on both of my spartans

RC Qualifier
    That's odd, I run a wire drive in one Spartan, and no issues.
    Are you running large, heavy batteries that would cause the boat to sit low enough in the water that the drive end of the stuffing tube would be below the waterline?
    Even if this were the case, I can't explain the amount of water you are getting because it definitely shouldn't be coming in while the boat is moving.
    Have you checked to be sure the seam between the top deck and hull is intact all around? i.e. there may be a second source of entry.
    hog

RC Qualifier
    Or have you moved the stuffing tube back in the boat by readjusting it with the two hex screws?
    Powered by Castle.....

RC Qualifier
    I havent moved the stuffing tube back... can you even do that? And what would that do?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Socalirevo View Post
    I havent moved the stuffing tube back... can you even do that? And what would that do?
    You can adjust the stuffing tube forward or backward a few mm by loosening the clamp screws on the motor end.

I have moved mine back once before to give an extra mm or two room for the collet.

Relative to your situation, I don't think it would be a factor. You can't move it enough to make a difference in the overall rise, resulting in lowering it below the waterline.

hog

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by hog View Post
    You can adjust the stuffing tube forward or backward a few mm by loosening the clamp screws on the motor end.

I have moved mine back once before to give an extra mm or two room for the collet.

Relative to your situation, I don't think it would be a factor. You can't move it enough to make a difference in the overall rise, resulting in lowering it below the waterline.

hog
    Thats what I had to do I got the KintecRacing .187 flex upgrade and that required a longer collet. And I thought that if you moved it back enough water could get in the stuffing tube by the tube being beneath the water line.