RC poster

Spartan for $200?

What's up guys, I bought a slightly used spartan off a friend for $200 , only used a few times boats a solid 8 out of 10 it took a dive and split the hull at the seam in the left rear but its fixed so good you honestly can't tell I just know its there so I may get a new hull, I Believe I have the second generation boat it has the castle system but it doesn't have the newest graphics did I do okay for 200 ? All I had to do was buy a shaft and prop, I'm not new to RC by any means but are there any stupid little tips and tricks on the spartan I should know about? I haven't run it yet its cold up here in nj but I'm thinking about the cooling upgrade right off the bat for the spring and I will be running in salt water

Thanks!
    -Lou

RC Qualifier
    200 for a spartan is a great deal

RC Qualifier

Spartan for $200?

Replace stock power system, second time I used 6s my ESC blew ... If you plan to use stock electronics I would go 4s lipo, stretch it with 5s if you want. Dual water pickup rudder (from OSE) Jeff Wholt wire drive , get the newest hull , don't know what you have but sounds like a project... Pictures would be good! Mine is ran in saltwater too.
    PM for info.....

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
    Replace stock power system, second time I used 6s my ESC blew ... If you plan to use stock electronics I would go 4s lipo, stretch it with 5s if you want. Dual water pickup rudder (from OSE) Jeff Wholt wire drive , get the newest hull , don't know what you have but sounds like a project... Pictures would be good! Mine is ran in saltwater too.

ill try and post a pic tomorrow, how would you run 5s on it one battery up front and how do you hook it up to the double connector? going to get the metal water jacket for the motor im not a fan of the rubber one with the adjustable trim tabs... not familiar with the wire drive either mind filling me in on it?

its really not much of a project i think im making it out to be more than it is just like to do things the right way the first time and want it perfect its a really clean boat
    Last edited by Lou427; 11-25-2013 at 01:11 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I am not the best person to comment on the products I mentioned because I don't have much more than a dual pickup rudder and aluminum jacket...
    5s Lipo: one 3s lipo and one 2s Lipo, just hook it up like normal. MAKE SURE BOTH BATTERIES ARE USED EQUALLY AND SAME MAH.http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...995754-5s-LiPo
    The wire drive seems to be popular due to it's strength and it also augers less grease out of the rear end. http://www.rcraceboat.com/spartanupgrades.html

If you get a hold of a few people such as orca44 or hog they can help you better than I can. I am still sorrta new to the Spartan.... If you get another ESC and motor combo check out some from Castle such as the Hydra Ice 240V and somewhere around 1600-1800kv motor. Another user just had a SK180 die on him during a second run.....
    Last edited by Spartanator; 11-26-2013 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Forget how to twype.... *type
    PM for info.....

RC Competitor
    I still cant beleave how people pop the stock VXL-6s Marine ESC on 6s, ive had mine since Jan 2012 & run it 3-4 times amonth on only 6s.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvtspoon View Post
    I still cant beleave how people pop the stock VXL-6s Marine ESC on 6s, ive had mine since Jan 2012 & run it 3-4 times amonth on only 6s.
    Same here I have run my boat 20-30 times on 6S with no problems with the ESC, (knock on wood) the motor however is another story .
    Powered by Castle.....

RC Qualifier

Spartan for $200?

Guess y'all just got the absolute best ESC then from Traxxas! I think it has to do with overcharging the batteries... I charged mine up and they went into the boat immediately and that's when it started smoking and some flam even shot out...

Mine is on it's way back, after it gets here it must take a trip to the LHS for soldering Castle connectors for batteries/ESC/charger cable and 5.5 bullets for the motor.
    Last edited by Spartanator; 12-03-2013 at 07:11 AM.
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    it doesnt have to do with over charging and if you are over charging your batteries you should be happy your house isnt burned down.

RC Qualifier
    You should not have a problem with overcharging as long as you have a peak charger or your batteries are messed up.