RC Competitor

Attempting to mod et-3s

I have a couple of these combos laying around and I am looking into modding them so I can use 4s lipos.

I am going to try to force flash mmp firmware to the et-3s via sylabs software and a sylabs usb toolstick. Heli guys have been flashing custom firmware to castle esc's for a while now, and I dont see why I cant apply similar proceedure to the et-3s. Plan is to pickup an mmp this week for granular comparison. I need to first make sure they are in fact indentical, or close enough that it wont explode. If not, I am not capable of writing custom firmware and this venture will die here.

Is there a way to get a hold of a stand alone firmware file for the mmp? Worst case scenario, I plan on buying another mmp this week anyway and can dump the firmware myself.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    let us know the outcome, i'm curious if its possible to crack open any Branded MMP's.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

RC Competitor
    Sylabs toolstick is on the way. Hoping that it shows up before Thanksgiving. I also have my fingers crossed that I can dump the firmware without soldering directly to the sylabs chip. I was shopping for an mmp today, but I can't make up my mind if I want just the esc or a combo with 2400kv/3800kv motor.

RC Competitor
    Finally pulled the trigger on an mmp. It should be here next week. Definitely will have the toolstick by then as well. I should be comparing firmware this time next week.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    nice!! you'll like that new MMP ESC, some ppl experiencing sudden take off with MMP so, with mine I quickly change the setting (firmware) before I run it.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    nice!! you'll like that new MMP ESC, some ppl experiencing sudden take off with MMP so, with mine I quickly change the setting (firmware) before I run it.
    I will be flashing it with 1.33 before dumping the firmware so I can start comparing it with the et-3s. I think that will be my best shot to find meaningful differences in the firmware. Once im done destroying my et-3s, ill probably update to latest firmware on the mmp.
    Last edited by c0rpse; 11-27-2013 at 07:19 PM.

RC Competitor
    Mmp arrived. I will crack it open tomorrow after I test functionality. I will be comparing them under a magnifying glass first. As long as everything looks identical, I will dump the mmp firmware and flash the et-3s.

I have seen posts by others that they are the same, but I am cautious due to the programming differences.

RC Competitor
    Tested the new mmp, and it is in perfect working order. Opened up both mmp and et-3s for side by side comparison. Unfortunatly, some of the part #'s on the et-3s components are unreadable (fets in particular) BUT the microcontroller is the same. The layout is also identical aside from the power switch (which I will probably remove from the mmp anyway).

My first order of business will be to dump the firmware from the et-3s and the mmp. As long as that goes as planned, I will attempt to reflash the et-3s with its native traxxas firmware. I want to make sure my method for flashing works before I move forward with the mmp firmware. I hope to have time tomorrow evening to at least get the fw dump.

RC Champion
    update, update?!?!?!

Can you confirm or deny that the ET-3S has a "Drag Brake" adjustment via Castle link??

RC Competitor
    Fail.

The silabs tool stick could not power the esc alone. I hooked up external power, but it would not connect. Got the data sheet for the controller and traced legs to alternate solder points. Tried to connect again directly to the chip, but still get a connection error. I am going to double check my work, but it doesn't look good. It could be that the micro controller is not supported by the software I'm using. I will need to research that as well. Good news is that the esc still works properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
    update, update?!?!?!

Can you confirm or deny that the ET-3S has a "Drag Brake" adjustment via Castle link??
    Almost certain it does but I will check tonight.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
    update, update?!?!?!

Confirmed. It does have drag brake. It appears that every option is the same with the addition of traxxas link.

At this point, I need to find an alternate method and/or equipment to dump and flash the firmware. I am also looking into modifying the castle link sw, but I am having trouble accessing the .db3 in the program folder. It appears to be encrypted.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-10-2013 at 07:43 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Any update? I'm excited...
    2wd Slash VXL
    3906 MMM

+1 For updates!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Competitor
    What model is the controller chip? If you posted a little more info, might get some more ideas your way.

RC Competitor
    I think the easier way to go is to try to decrypt the SQLite database settings.db3 file. When you have done that, you can change values in that file to make the CastleLink Software recognize your Traxxas re-branded ESC as genuine Castle and re-flash it with a genuine castle firmware. At least this is possible with HPI Blur ESCs (Mamba Monster re-badged).