Thread: castle 1512?

RC Racer

castle 1512?

I'm looking at a mm2 and I'm pretty sure it's the esc to go with for my revo-e conversion. I found a combo with a castle 1512 2650kv for $250 does anyone have any experience with this motor? Is it enough for some light bashing? I run in short grass, concrete, bricks, and gravel streets. Otherwise im looking at a leopard 4074 2150kv

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I have put a 2650 of lower quality in an eMaxx... on 4S with a 21 tooth pinion and stock spur it screams all day long without overheating. I imagine a Castle would be even better... and is exactly what I am putting in my MT4 next spring. The CC2200 in it now just isn't quite enough for me on 4S.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    Go for it. The 1512 or 1515 can handle the e-revo.

RC Racer
    Sneak peek of my chassis. It's 15 7/16" long, is that 2.5 or 3.3 length?

Peek
    Last edited by 67Exec; 11-22-2013 at 10:10 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I would get the 2200kv motor.

RC Racer
    I thought about it, but I'm only going to run 3s. Will it still be good? I have also been looking at a hobbywing wp escape with a leopard 2650kv that's $100 cheaper. Any opinions on that setup? I had a different thread about that but it was locked.
    KCCO

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    i'd also go for the 2200 and run 4s. are you gonna do the 2nd gear lock mod? or something else?

that's a very shinny chassis and it looks like its from a 2.5
    Last edited by humayrayakongkinaon; 12-03-2013 at 08:26 PM.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Racer
    Did my own FOC and 2nd gear lock all with pieces from the stock trans. I would have to buy a new charger to do 4s. I bought a radiant ascend at a the urging of my lhs, and it's only capable of 2s and 3s as far as lipo's.
    KCCO

your stock gears wont last you very long, I've broken tranny gears 3x before I went all metal gears running 4s.
    Last edited by humayrayakongkinaon; 12-03-2013 at 10:54 PM.

RC Racer
    I didn't mention that I have a center different coming, trx cvd's and extended rear arms already installed. I cheaped out and bought an integy style motor mount.
    KCCO

Quote Originally Posted by 67Exec View Post
    I didn't mention that I have a center different coming, trx cvd's and extended rear arms already installed. I cheaped out and bought an integy style motor mount.
    I also have an integy motor mount (I have tekno on now) and its tricky to use on 42mm motor can, you have to put spacers on that motor mount.

RC Racer
    Thanx for the heads up
    KCCO

RC Racer
    So I bought a new hobbywing 120a water proof esc with program card and a leopard 4065 2700kv can for $70 from a buddy in ohio that got out of 1/8 scale cars. Its all new as it was his spare. He says that it should be here before Christmas. I'm going to run it for now and keep you guys posted. Humayray, know of any 3s lipo's that fit? I cut my chassis like yours, its like 150mm length. And are soft ok for general bashing with them in that location? I just have an aluminum tray that currently doesn't have sides, but it's 55mm wide so I could bend a lip on the outside.
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by 67Exec; 12-06-2013 at 07:48 AM. Reason: changed kv rating of motor
    KCCO

I had aluminum tray before too and i use long Velcro straps. My Tekno battery tray is about 55mmx150mm. sorry I don't have any 3s and I don't know what to recommend but, my 4s is measured about 42mmx135mm so its perfect for my tekno tray with little bit of room to breath

I'm a little bit worry about the 2700kv motor though, I guess you have to play with the gearing then.
    Last edited by humayrayakongkinaon; 12-06-2013 at 10:00 PM.

RC Racer
    I will be running temp and voltage telemetry so I can keep an eye on motor and esc temps. My only option for 4s for a while would be 2 2s in series sin my charger only has a 2s and 3s balance plugs.
    KCCO

RC Racer
    Just snagged a pair of spc 3s 6500mah hardcase lipo's for $59.95 each, and it showed 15 left.
    KCCO

RC Qualifier
    Have you checked to make sure they would fit the eRevo Battery Compartment? I thought I read on SPC Website that they may/may not fit.

its a nitro e-conversion so no limits on how tall the lipo is unless he changes his mind and go with the e-revo chassis?

castle 1512?

Just snagged a pair of spc 3s 6500mah hardcase lipo's for $59.95 each, and it showed 15 left.
    "PACK DIMENSIONS: 138mm long x 46.5mm wide x 34.5mm tall, 455g. This pack does not fit the Traxxas ERevo. (Please check your vehicle for size and fit)"

Thanks for the reminder, h.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-08-2013 at 09:31 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    Definitely not switching to e revo chassis. I have way to many hrs cleaning and hand polishing this thing to go that direction. Plus the rigidity of this chassis is great. Didn't even think about the size, as long as it's less than 150mm long it will fit
    KCCO

atta boy, keep that chassis alive, its a beauty

I have that chassis too (short wheelbase) at one point i build my REVO-E GT8
    Last edited by humayrayakongkinaon; 12-08-2013 at 10:41 PM.

RC Racer
    I got a package from Ohio today, it only had a tube about 2 1/4" around 4" tall and still in the plastic wrap. Unboxed it and tried to put it in my mount, but it was about 2mm from fitting. So I'm going to make a pair of spacers that are 3-4mm thick to give some air gap at the bottom. Or should I make it tight with some thermal compound and use that part of the mount as a heatsink of sorts?
    KCCO

RC Racer
    Got it all mounted and tested. It runs well, but my slipper clutch is apparently toast. Going to check price at my lhs tomorrow, but I'm going to make 1 from G10 composite that I have leftover from som knives that I have made. It's super grippy and good to 180c. Any thoughts on this material for a slipper? Basically going to try it because the piece I have is too small for most other projects.
    KCCO

do you still have your old break disk?? Have read of guys using it for a slipper pad...
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Racer
    Mine had a thin steel brake disk with friction material on the pads. Have to wait until I go to my lhs again, tuns out my slipper cage is broken. Only one of the breks is fresh, the other breaks are discolored like they have been brke for quite some time
    KCCO

RC Racer
    So I was installing the center diff in my Revo-E and couldn't get it to fit in the front drive shaft. I'm using a 2.5 revo chassis. So I did the honorable thing and trimmed the front shaft, but instead of just sanding it, I had the "bright idea" to make short work of it and used the cutoff disk on the dremel. Wouldn't you know, I cut it too short, and of course my lhs doesn't stock any revo shafts except the cvd axles. Ordered from ebay and delivery is supposed to be before the 20th of Dec. Lesson learned. I really should take more pics too.
    Last edited by 67Exec; 12-16-2013 at 06:20 PM. Reason: added info.
    KCCO

I think I used the E-REVO front center driveshaft with my short chassis.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRAXXAS-EMAX...item5401c0e3bf

I did the same thing when I cut mine, it was too short so, from now on I cut it longer and slowly get it corrected.

RC Racer
    I've ran 4 3s spc packs through my hobbywing leopard setup and I love it. Power is crazy and nearly uncontrollable. On a 40 degree day I saw motor temps peak at 74 degrees. Today was 25 degrees and temps peaked at 68 degrees ( all temps in farenhieght). Power is super smooth with barely noticeable cogging when trying to crawl. Run times with 6500mah 65c pack is aroud 35-50min lvd on yhe hobbywing works well. I got the program card also, set the brakes to 50% and drag brake to 5%. I need to get a better steering servo as a single stock servo doesn't seem as quick or strong as I would like. I modded my chassis the same way as humayrayakongkinaon did, to move the battery to the front.
    Last edited by 67Exec; 12-22-2013 at 12:12 AM.
    KCCO

RC Racer
    So more review of my combo now that the tmaxx disk I used for a slipper is finally hooking up. On short grass and rough asphalt it will wheelie at 20mph even with a center diff installed. I was also able to climb a 4ft tall pile of loose gravel of pebbles smaller than 5/16" diameter. I could even stop part way up then finish the climb without spinning out. I could see a very slight amount of cogging, but it was extremely minimal compared tothe sv3 and stock motor in my merv. I'm just stunned at how silky smooth the power is with this 2700kv motor. Motor temps peaked at 76 f even though the outside temp was 18f with real feel of -4f. Run time was 30min of speed runs and a little climbing at the beginning and end of the run. Motor temps were the highest while climbing. Speed runs had the temps around 71f. I will be racing it at the NESCAR track 45min from my house. They said that they would make sure that I have a class to run it. I'm going to tear it down over Christmas if it's still cold out with no snow, I will take and post pics then. Also, I'm thinking of changing to a 38t or 36t spur. I already have a 14t and 13t pinion.
    KCCO

RC Racer
    Well, the hobbywing/ leopard combo worked great til last week when the motor shorted and smoked the esc. I bit the bullet and bought a mm2 and a 1512-2650kv. The car is way slower on the top end, motor went to 174 and the esc went into temp protect after 7 min. I'm ridiculously disappointed.
    KCCO

why did you buy the 2650 instead of the 2200?? and what gearing & cell count??

RC Champion
    +1 the 2650 is capable of handling the emaxx, but it's not going to be as powerful as the castle 2200. You'd have to gear down on the 2650.

RC Racer
    I a have spc 3s 6500mah 65c pack. Gearing is 14-36 with 3.8 trenchers on beadlocks. Then I have humayrayakongkinaons trans mod with the xo1 pinion ( don't remember the tooth counts). I was able to run 38mph next to my wife's 05 Bonneville GXP with the old motor/esc. Now I'm hard pressed to hit 25mph. The truck weighs 9.4lbs rtr.
    KCCO

14/36... 6s ... lost me on the trans?? is this a Nitro conversion..? mod 1 gearing?

edit the stock trans I get 63.89 mph (102.63 km/h) on BrianG site.
    Last edited by 87 GN; 04-18-2014 at 05:49 PM.

RC Racer
    This is a nitro conversion. I'm on 3s 14t pinion 36t spur. Yes its mod1 gearing. The trans mod is 34t on the primary shaft and 22t on the top shaft.
    KCCO

RC Qualifier
    even with it being a nitro conversion you should be running about the same as regular brushless. 9 lbs is about parfor a revo RTR not counting the extreme monster conversions with roll cages and huge tires.

Are you sure you are running 6S and not two packs of 3 in parrellel? From the speed you are achieving it sounds like that is what you have going on.

PICS?
    If it didn't break you can do it again.

RC Racer
    Im running 1 3s spc pack. My concern is the temps and drastic loss of speed.
    KCCO

RC Qualifier
    Ok that works out then. If you want more speed you are going to need more cells and because you are using trenchers, which are a big tire, you will need to lower your gearing such as putting a 40 spur on to make up for the added rotational weight. If you were using the 2200 motor as suggested above your gearing would be fine as it is currently as it can produce gobs more torque and easily motivate your vehicle. The 2650 is meant more for buggy or lighter truck.
    If it didn't break you can do it again.

Im running 1 3s spc pack. My concern is the temps and drastic loss of speed.
    that makes more since 3s not 2/3s.......
    don't ever assume...
    Last edited by 87 GN; 04-18-2014 at 09:00 PM.