RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar

Any HVAC technicians or knowledgable people here?

I am purchasing a house that needs a new furnace and water heater... just looking for someone with some knowledge to bounce some ideas off from.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    Where do you live?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

St. Louis, MI

RC Qualifier
    Hit two birds with one stone and get a central wood burner. It goes outside and it is cheap to operate. My dad figured about $500 per year to heat the house the shop and the water over the winter. Just fill it up every 8-10 hours.

lipo power!!!!!
    1:16 Slash vxl
    Stampede 4x4 vxl

Wish I could... but they are not allowed.
    Even then I'd need a furnace to exchange the water heat to forced air heat. Retro fitting the house to raidient floor heat would be awesome, but way out of our budget.

Plus we'd still need a way to heat water in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Wish I could... but they are not allowed.
    Even then I'd need a furnace to exchange the water heat to forced air heat. Retro fitting the house to raidient floor heat would be awesome, but way out of our budget.

Plus we'd still need a way to heat water in the summer.
    Is natural gas provided in your neighborhood? I know I use natural gas for my water heater, stove and clothes dryer... I'm in Florida, but just doing this cut my energy bill in 1/2 and yes I was including the electric bill combined with the gas bill...
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

Yes... and currently the water heater (60%), furnace (80%), and stove is natural gas. After we move in the dryer will be natural gas as well.

As long as we have enough money saved up, we plan on getting a 90+ efficient water heater and furnace... for a few reasons; the first being the elimination of another leak point in the roof as the high efficiency units vent out the side via PVC. The second reason being lower utility bills... which is not always a goal due to upfront costs, but since we will be living here until we are both old and gray, the upfront expenses will be recouped by years of lower monthly costs. The current setup has been reported to cost around $400 a month to operate in the winter.

This is the water heater we are currently thinking we will install:
    http://www.menards.com/main/plumbing...414-c-8690.htm

It is available locally at that price... or on-line for a few hundred less shipped to my door. I have installed quite a few of these so I have no hesitation to install it myself.

The furnace, on the other hand, I will be hiring out. By the time I buy the tools needed to do the tin work and figure out how to install the process could cost me more than just having it professionally done. We have received one general quote for $2,500 installed for a 90+ furnace but he did not specify if that included a new central AC unit or not.

I have looked high and low for an answer to one of my questions but it seems that the answer is super obvious and I am missing it or it has not been asked before... lol
    What I would like to know is if two 90+ units... a water heater and furnace... could be vented through a PVC manifold. I am thinking this would reduce the number of holes in the side of the house by taking the two units and hooking the intake and exhaust to two larger diameter PVC pipes that lead to the outside.

If you don't figure it out the way you want and you do end up in your older years with a system not to your liking...

Do what everyone else does when they retire and move to Florida. loll

Good luck with it Jimmy. Sounds like you have a good handle on it already.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

Florida? Naw... too many bugs. lol Most of my family is in Arizona... so if we do move then, it will probably be there.

I'll report back if I end up hearing anything... or at least with what I ended up doing.

New furnace was installed a week ago... they replaced the return air as well due to it being way undersized and probably the cause of the failure.

96% efficient Bryant with 10 year full parts warranty and lifetime labor... $3,200 installed.

The furnace and water heater will be vented through separate PVC concentric systems... so there is still only 2 holes in the side of the house instead of 4.
    Last edited by Jimmie Neutron; 12-14-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Nice! Moving into my current house I noted I have a 95% furnace that the installers vented up through the existing vent through the roof and had issues with some rain water dripping in--still do. I may vent it through the side of the house as it will be about an 8' run though I need to look at the building code to see how far from windows it must be. And I'll also have to run the cold air intake directly from outside rather than an insulated hose running down beside the furnace. Water heater is electric so I don't have to worry about that. All this will come after I finish gutting and rebuilding the adjacent bathroom.
    I'm not sure about tankless heaters. I've considered it and heard that it takes a long time to recoup the costs--beyond the life of the unit.
    The Super Derecho

Tankless is all I have had since 1985... other than when we moved and those times were only until the tanked units died. I really don't use them for their efficiency but for their endless supply of hot water and their longevity. The one we installed in '85 is still working flawlessly.

I found a picture once with venting codes... but I just cannot seem to find it again. lol