RC Enthusiast

vent for the day

I have had my stampede for over a year now, have done the normal upgrades nothing crazy. Have had a few of the normal breaks but nothing I would say wasn't my fault. A couple of months ago my I got a jato 3.3 nitro. I don't think I have had one day of driving it that something hasn't broken. Its almost to the point of frustration and not fun taking it out. Whether the tune gets way off or a gear strips. I don't understand how I can take my stampede out flip it roll it hit the curb and it keeps on going and I can't get an hour out of my jato. Love my stampede but this jato is really working on my patience. OK so that's my complaining for the day, thought I might get some thoughts. Thanks for letting me vent lol.

Comments about a Jato belongs in the Jato forum, so I moved the thread to the correct forum.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    Because the stampede is a great truck. I beat the uh uh snot out of my grave digger every say and it flips and rolls and still drives away, no breaks yet just upgrades.

RC Enthusiast
    Yes, the stampede is awesome. That's what frustrates me is I want my jato to be that fun to use too.

RC Qualifier
    Did u get the truck new? My Jato breaks but it's usually do 2 a high speed crash. I also have a nitro stampede IMO the Jato is a better quality rc.
    Jato 3.3, Revo .28 JL Max, Nitro Stampede 3.3

RC Enthusiast
    The jato was new when I got it and it is my first nitro. I think a lot of my difficulties are due to inexperience its just really starting to make me mad I can't get a good day of running out of it. Keep telling myself I'll get it all figured out and be patient I guess.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    do you have any nitro bashing buddies? Finding another Jato or any nitro equipped truck owner to run with may improve your outings. I always learn a ton when running with experienced rcers.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

You're comparing apples to oranges (I'm guessing yours are mostly stock in regard to power plant). I own both vehicles personally and have run them for many years. The Stampede is a Pro .15 powered truck with a top speed of about 30-35mph. The Jato 3.3 on the other hand is a skill level 5 vehicle with a two speed and a HUGE amount of power, topping out at 65+. Think of it like your family sedan vs a car you take on a trailer to the drag strip. You're going to be working on the dragster a lot more than just an oil change every 3,000 miles. The Jato, by it's very nature, is likely to require a lot more work than the Stampede.

Any time you double the speed your parts consumption and maintenance requirements are likely to increase. The reason we suggest Stampede style trucks for people starting out is the likelihood of a successful entry into Nitro. Speed is fun, but it can cost too (not just $ but time). Also, the 3.3 is a high performance engine which can require more attention to tuning than the Pro .15.

Both vehicles are great trucks and if you think about the differences in the two it's easy to see why the Jato carries a level 5 rating. The patience part is a huge factor in the nitro hobby. There are times when these things can be cantankerous and downright frustrating, I'm not ashamed to admit I've wanted to stomp on mine a few times. But the fun outweighs the frustration, especially when you remember that a big part of enjoying this hobby is enjoying working on the vehicles too.

So my advise is to keep at it with the Jato, if it starts giving you headaches pull out your Stampede to get the smile going again, then tackle the Jato project. Don't let anything get to the point where you're mad and unable to make progress. If it's getting to that point it's time to put it away for a while and come back when you're able to approach it with a level head. As always, if you have questions or something you can't figure out post on here or call / email Traxxas Support.

RC Enthusiast
    I agree with TireSlinger, the JATO is like a race car. Race cars break and require a crap load of attention. Do what I did, every thing that was giving you issues replace it with a upgrade. If you can't do that then the JATO was the wrong choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rx7nator View Post
    Do what I did, every thing that was giving you issues replace it with a upgrade.
    I would suggest going slow with lots of hop ups. It's easy to get in deep in a hurry. If a part fails once don't assume it needs an upgrade right away. If you smack a curb at high speed your going to break stuff, regardless of what you've upgraded.

Do your research on the forums and see what others have had luck with. People like Rx7 are great sources of info if an upgrade is worthy of its name. According to every company their parts are always the 'fastest, strongest, coolest, whateverest' out there.

RC Enthusiast
    Great advice guys thanks a lot. Definitely need to do some reading and research and learn some more. I never really thought about the sedan vs race car theory but its very true. Thanks again.

RC Enthusiast
    The Jato was my first nitro RC. I got it at 27 years old(?) and took a wheel off on my first full throttle pull after break in. Its been a pain! Threw some upgrades at it, got it going faster and blew an anaconda apart after one tank. Replaced it with a used spare and blew the other anaconda apart in less than a tank. Purchased some losi street fighters, glued 'em on and they looked good. Took it to the street and got the Jato warmed up; held the throttle only to watch a piece of rubber go flying up in the air off the new tires. $15 wasted in less than a tank. That was in lets say a two or three week period.

So I got the 17MM adapters and put XO wheels/tires on and the thing was a blast for a few tanks. I found out it outgrew the street when I had a high speed (50+) into a parked car's wheel on the tread part, not the sidewall. Broke my Losi 3.4 carb, took the entire front end off, left wheel totally, completely off and in the middle of the street, dirt guards somehow were cracked from a front end collision, aluminum top bulk head bent, lower shattered, shattered spindle, bent chassis....you name it....70 in parts and three hours later its a Jato again!

Its been frustrating, its been fun, its been expensive but its been worth it. Stay patient and walk away when you lose patience.

RC Enthusiast
    Lol same here. I got my jato almost new but crashed face to face with a Tmaxx of a friend of mine . It was my fault had to buy arms and shocks for his and new wheels and shocks for mine . Also hit a hole in the pavement and broke the transmission case so I ordered it. I love the car since it's my first rc car and I already upgraded many parts to it but I feel it's too fast for me I want to get something else. Like a 4x4 revo or something that's not as fast as my jato.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by MREYNA View Post
    Lol same here. I got my jato almost new but crashed face to face with a Tmaxx of a friend of mine . It was my fault had to buy arms and shocks for his and new wheels and shocks for mine . Also hit a hole in the pavement and broke the transmission case so I ordered it. I love the car since it's my first rc car and I already upgraded many parts to it but I feel it's too fast for me I want to get something else. Like a 4x4 revo or something that's not as fast as my jato.
    You could downgrade your jato. I know it sounds funny, but if its too fast and you like the truck, swap out the engine for a 2.5R or a .18 (just not the OS .18tz, its WAY fast) BTW your truck is really tricked out (saw your post in the pic thread).

I've had my Jato for around 2 years and have had really good luck with it. I broke an a-arm the first week so I replaced them with RPM arms. To prevent further front-end damage, I installed the rpm front bumper. So far things have gone pretty well, except I noticed the rear shock tower has a crack in it. I'll replace it on the next order, I just can't decide what brand to buy.

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-14-2014 at 05:39 PM.